Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2017 11:03:26 AM EDT
There is a good probability I will be there for about 10 starting next week. I won't really have time for any sightseeing but I will need to eat!

Staying near the airport.

looking for good places to eat?

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Here you go....

Duff's

550 Dick Road

Depew, NY 14043

(716) 683-3090

There is also one in Eastern Hills Mall, also not far from the airport, down Transit road...

Iconic, and my favorite wings in Buffalo for 30 years of living there...

I know guys will chime in about neighborhood bars and pizza places being better....but not IMHO...

I will guarantee they are way better than Anchor Bar (the originator of the wing)
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Also in the area near the airport is Charlie the Butcher, get a Beef on Weck.  Also try BW’s barbecue.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Tim Hortons!    ...  JK!  (I like the company but frankly hate the coffee)

Seriously though, if you don't mind a bit of a drive there's also Pegasus, the Roycroft, etc.  

Oh zebb's ribs are awesome - orchard park.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#4]
As your staying near the airport I will give you some close restaurants as I work right by the airport.

Danny's on 3715 Genesee Street which will be about a 2 minute drive if you are staying across from the airport. Try the Buffalo Chicken wing soup.  https://www.dannysrestaurant.com/

Duffs and Charlie the Butcher at 1065 Wehrle Drive as posted above.

Drive down to Transit road (East on Genesee St then left on Transit) and go past the I-90 and there will be a lot of restaurants. If you want a quick fast food meal try Might Taco, which is better than Taco Bell at   6930 Transit Rd or Ted's for hot dogs if you want at 7018 Transit Rd. Those might be good for a quick lunch.

For a diner breakfast, Olympic is OK at 4611 Genesee St.

If there is anything else just post up and we can point you in the right direction. If you want recommendations for downtown or another area we can also give some recommendations.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As your staying near the airport I will give you some close restaurants as I work right by the airport.

Danny's on 3715 Genesee Street which will be about a 2 minute drive if you are staying across from the airport. Try the Buffalo Chicken wing soup.  https://www.dannysrestaurant.com/

Duffs and Charlie the Butcher at 1065 Wehrle Drive as posted above.

Drive down to Transit road (East on Genesee St then left on Transit) and go past the I-90 and there will be a lot of restaurants. If you want a quick fast food meal try Might Taco, which is better than Taco Bell at   6930 Transit Rd or Ted's for hot dogs if you want at 7018 Transit Rd. Those might be good for a quick lunch.

For a diner breakfast, Olympic is OK at 4611 Genesee St.

If there is anything else just post up and we can point you in the right direction. If you want recommendations for downtown or another area we can also give some recommendations.
View Quote
Looking like I am staying at the Garden PLace Hotel on 78 and 90. Most of my days will be working in Lackawanna(lunch).  Dinner can be anywhere reasonable distance.

Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea, I liked Duff's better when I was visiting in Amherst. Remember, medium is hot but not really that hot for me. I kinda liked Andersons too but went there for ice cream mainly. There's always Niagara Falls. The area looked pretty nice for my first time. We ate at Rainforest Cafe there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Looking like I am staying at the Garden PLace Hotel on 78 and 90. Most of my days will be working in Lackawanna(lunch).  Dinner can be anywhere reasonable distance.

Thanks guys.

View Quote
  Oh, Salvatores Garden Place.  Great food there.  Lackawanna for lunch-  Mulberry ristorante, Google directions, it's hidden.  Mess hall on Ridge rd.  O'daniels on Abbott rd.  Potter's field on Potter rd.  Mity taco Ridge Rd  in West Seneca. Imperial for pizza, wings, subs,  Abbott Rd Bflo.  All minutes away.  Ask the local guys you're working with for better  options.  Watcha doin in Lackawanna?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Kentucky Greg's on George Urban
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kentucky Greg's on George Urban
View Quote
Oh, yeah, this! Great BarBQ....
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Downtown buffalo has supposedly gotten better. Some local cops told me that and I asked "would you live there?" And they laughed and said fuck no the schools are terrible 

my wife worked there for a year, the city seemed pretty rough back then
View Quote
Yeah, certain areas of the city are now very popular and housing prices are nuts. Parts of downtown, the west side, allentown, elmwood, and of course north buffalo are in huge demand. City schools, except buffalo honors, are shit. All the city cops I know live in the city, and all send their kids to private school. I'm in the burbs and do the same though.

For the OP, I don't know much about Lackawanna other than Curly's, but there are tons of spots around elmwood and allen. Quick jump on the 33, and you're back at the airport.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a little corner diner at Ridge and South Park, it's the corner building, Kiddy-corner from the Our Lady of Victory Basillica, which is a beautiful church to visit if you have an interest in architecture... I can't remember the name, but my grandma used to love eating there, I'm afraid I haven't been back to that area in years though. I can't remember if I liked the food, or if it was sentimental attachment.
Overall, Lacawanna is pretty much a dive these days, a far cry from decades past.

There's a Duffs on Orchard Park Road in West Seneca, which depending where you are in Lacawanna might be a quick drive, Could also be on the way back towards the airport, if you take Orchard Park Road (NY-240) to Southwestern (turns into Transit).
My family is also a fan of the Hibachi/Sushi restaurant on Orchard Park road just before the big Southwestern intersection, can't recall the name of the place though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Do try to find a couple hours to see the naval museum.

http://buffalonavalpark.org/

There is a pub on-site.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There is a pub on-site.
View Quote
If you have time, this is a must see...

Last surviving US Navy CL/CLG in the world, also last surviving 6" turret, get to see inside the formerly TS Talos missile magazine and assembly areas, awesome to see in itself.

The Sullivans and the sub are also great...
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There is a pub on-site.
View Quote
Ooooo good point.
I was there with Dad in February, but it was too windy and cold for him. Plus the museum wasn't open except for the food area.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I really miss living in western ny.  in addition to Duffs and Charlie the Butcher the Pizza Plant in Williamsville is good (get a mega pizza pod).  I haven't lived there since 2001, but there was a pancake place on main street in Williamsville that was awesome.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I really miss living in western ny.  in addition to Duffs and Charlie the Butcher the Pizza Plant in Williamsville is good (get a mega pizza pod).  I haven't lived there since 2001, but there was a pancake place on main street in Williamsville that was awesome.
View Quote
Original Pancake House, yeah, very good, always packed on weekends! They have another location on NF Blvd heading towards NT out of Amherst...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top