Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2017 9:23:20 AM EDT
Member's, check you inbox for today's email.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw it this morning. Looks like at best lack of record keeping and poor leadership and worst possibly theft and misuse of funds.

This is what was sent for anybody that missed it:

MY PERSPECTIVE
Why am I sending this out now?  Several reason; there has been too much misinformation out there from many sources and a great deal of speculation by many people.  Some may have been misled by what they have seen on social media.  There has been too much of this “he said, she said” stuff.  In truth some of it is fact, some is speculation and some of it I have no idea!

First of all I did not attend the April 2016 annual meeting, our Allegany chapter secretary did.  Did he have a proxy?   No.  Afterward, we discussed the meeting briefly and I left it at that.  There were some emails after the meeting and through May and I pretty much ignored them – some just blowing off steam I figured.
By the end of June things were going all over the place!  BOD emails were coming out faster than you could read them and they were not pretty – from either side.  I had several directors/chapter chairs contact me to give me their side of the situation and why they wanted to replace Steve Aldstadt.  None were convincing enough in their conversations to sway me, so in the July Meeting at Clay NY I was not completely surprised by what happened.  I voted for Steve and the officers that had been voted on in April.  When it was over there was a new leadership in place.  That whole thing turned into a 9 hour marathon which seemed to have no one in control at times.  Things got heated and the emails in the following months got even worse.
I did notice that there were no minutes of the April meeting, and what were called minutes, were nothing more than notes.  To top that off, there were no minutes from the July meeting available from the then secretary!
Steve Speta and I had a meeting with Steve Aldstadt at his house/office in early August, with Budd Schroeder in attendance.  We asked about the financials and Steve Aldstadt produced some statements that were several months old and appeared to be in order.  Not having seen any previous balance sheets, and one other financial statement, I had nothing to go on.  A week or so later, upon an invitation from Don Hey, Steve Speta and I went to the new corporate office to look at the records that had been turned over to them.  Or I should say the lack of records.  For an organization that had been in existence for 50 years, there was a surprising lack of records/information.  Little to no cooperation from the then treasurer in producing the books or any other records, no balance sheets, no reconciliations, no bank statements.  In fairness, she had not been the treasurer that long.  What was convincing to both Steve Speta and I at that time were the records of Steve Aldstadt use of the corporate credit card for personal use in excess of $500.  There was no documentation of what the purchases were for, just the credit card charges.  There were other questionable charges, but those that appeared to be for personal use were the most telling (Local Wegmans, Rite Aid, Tops Market and Sparkle Cleaners).
At this point I understood what some of the other directors were trying to tell me and I saw things in a different light.  With further information from the financial committee it looked like SCOPE was operating with a negative income and could be completely out of funds in several months.  From October 2014 to July 2015 Scope had a loss of over $47,000! In the months of October and November 2015 the loss was in excess of $15,000!  As a chapter chair and a director of the Corporation I should have been made aware of this, along with all the other chapter chairmen.  How many of them have seen the treasurer’s reports for the months of July, October and November of 2015?  If they did get copies did they make their membership aware of this hemorrhaging?  I didn’t get a copy.
The new leadership was becoming more aware of all of this and was trying to stop it and get SCOPE back on their feet – not drag it down.  Could it have been handled better?  In 20/20 hind sight, probably, but I do not know how with the way SCOPE was losing money.  Where did the money go?  There are no records that I have seen that will reflect it.  Our present treasurer, when she took over, could not find very many records to start off the new fiscal year – much less any other records.  There was not enough documentation to get the corporation a proper audit from an outside firm!  Essentially, she took what was available and started from scratch; I do not believe she could have done anything else.  Since then we have had excellent treasures reports.
With all the crap flying around the BOD emails with accusations of stealing the election from SCOPE, a meeting was called for September 2016.  All presently elected officers of the corporation said they would resign, if the old ones would also, and we could have a new election.  None of the other elected officers under Steve Aldstadt attended the meeting other than Bill Fox, who incidentally was approved by both factions in the debacle (which goes to speak for his character).  There is an accurate record of the minutes for this State Board Of Directors (SBOD) meeting! There is a copy of minutes for every meeting since then (Thank You Kathie Ricketson!).
Then there is the court case!  Who won?  No one.  Who lost?  We all did in many ways.  The transcript for the court case is about 17,000 KB in PDF format.  *I have included a synopsis that was sent to the chapter chairs; did yours inform you and share it with you?  It is pretty accurate and tells you where we are right now.
We have a choice:  we can move forward and get back to taking care of our gun rights, or we can continue the infighting and make the present administration in Albany very happy.  I will try to keep the membership more informed in the future.
If you still have questions, I will try to answer them, or point you to someone who can.
If you wish to start this argument/situation over again I will ignore you and move on, a pissing contest will do none of us any good.

With the utmost respect for our organization,

Nick Massal
1st Vice-President,
S.CO.P.E. Inc.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#2]
My take as a non SCOPE member:

There were other questionable charges, but those that appeared to be for personal use were the most telling (Local Wegmans, Rite Aid, Tops
Market and Sparkle Cleaners).
View Quote
Someone was trying to hide a body.

We have a choice:  we can move forward and get back to taking care of our gun rights, or we can continue the infighting and make the present
administration in Albany very happy.
View Quote
Taking care of our gun rights? Albany got everything they wanted with SAFE. What exactly are we fighting for at this point? We're a gnat buzzing around an elephant.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My take as a non SCOPE member:

Someone was trying to hide a body.

Taking care of our gun rights? Albany got everything they wanted with SAFE. What exactly are we fighting for at this point? We're a gnat buzzing around an elephant.
View Quote
Enough insects, if they work together, can take on MUCH larger prey. Ever see fire ants or africanized bees? Well, then, that's what the NYC banners need to taste.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Enough insects, if they work together, can take on MUCH larger prey. Ever see fire ants or africanized bees? Well, then, that's what the NYC banners need to taste.
View Quote
Problem is we're our own worst enemy:
A substantial portion of the Gun owning Community doesn't feel threatened or care.
A minor portion stays informed, but outside of attending a banquet, forwarding a letter/e-mail, or bitching on the internet, they really don't do more than that.
The very small faction that remains uses their time and energy right in the Capital Offices making personal contact with representatives, then going back to the People to tell them what they can do to help with the situation.
SCOPE is a good organization that suffered the setback of insufficient Leadership. Irrespective of what happened with prior administrations, its critical to get back on track. Believe it or not, the State heavily defines how Not-for-profits, and Organizations are to be operated: I'd strongly encourage the Leadership to secure Legal Counsel to review their Charter and bring everything up to date with the By-Laws and SOPS.  Having been a Life Member of two distinctive no-for-profit Organizations, I have witnessed this, and believe it or not things work much better, are more transparent, and there are fewer issues, and improper occurrences are mostly nil.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A substantial portion of the Gun owning Community doesn't feel threatened or care.
A minor portion stays informed, but outside of attending a banquet, forwarding a letter/e-mail, or bitching on the internet, they really don't do more than that.
The very small faction that remains uses their time and energy right in the Capital Offices making personal contact with representatives, then going back to the People to tell them what they can do to help with the situation.
SCOPE is a good organization that suffered the setback of insufficient Leadership. Irrespective of what happened with prior administrations, its critical to get back on track. Believe it or not, the State heavily defines how Not-for-profits, and Organizations are to be operated: I'd strongly encourage the Leadership to secure Legal Counsel to review their Charter and bring everything up to date with the By-Laws and SOPS.  Having been a Life Member of two distinctive no-for-profit Organizations, I have witnessed this, and believe it or not things work much better, are more transparent, and there are fewer issues, and improper occurrences are mostly nil.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right. But, even with more activity I doubt anyone could ever change minds (if the NYC progressives have such) with NYC "leaders".  They only understand the hard way. Abject refusal or outright revolution.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Huge losses during a time membership surged, no financial records, abuse of corporate credit card, "let's put this behind us"

mmm
View Quote
Lack of proper Leadership and controls.  The former President who is being investigated is also the one who was running for the NRA Board and pitted SCOPE against NYSRPA. AFAIK He's out, and weather he'll face charges or even be held accountable is still up in the air....Again, so many of the Rules/Mandates/Laws governing Clubs and Organizations have been changed to keep a "volunteer" from turning an Organization into their personal cash-cow. Actually I'm surprised the NYAG (especially given their anti-gun stance) haven't shut them down over this.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#8]
The problem(s) at SCOPE are typical of organizations with little oversight.

However, no matter how much money SCOPE or NYSRPA have, they cannot do what they need to do, simply because of NYC.   2A has been repeatedly violated by politicians and courts, demonstrating that these organizations are largely ineffective (despite claims of great successes.)

It's time to change tactics, and the only strategy I believe will work is accountability.   Now, accountability will never be passed by politicians.   Even where there is fiscal accountability (e.g., Chicago having to pay 2AF legal costs) the offenders are not punished, as the monies come out of the taxpayers' pockets.

The only way to enforce accountability is to go after offenders outside of the 2A realm- in other words: tax fraud, corruption, etc.   SCOPE, NYSRPA, et. al., should be spending money on investigating corruption and other unlawful activities of those that violate 2A.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've noticed was seems like a lot more money accountability problems with charitable type organizations, like baseball etc, I wonder whether debit/credit cards are the problem. It's probably a lot more tempting to use your scope credit card for your dry cleaning v pulling out a check book
View Quote
My experience is that it is mostly due to apathy by the membership who cannot be bothered to regularly audit the books.  Too many organizations have long time officers and in particular treasurers who succumb to temptation and keep digging a deeper hole until it cannot be hidden any longer.  Then everyone freaks out and wonders how it could have happened.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The only way to enforce accountability is to go after offenders outside of the 2A realm- in other words: tax fraud, corruption, etc.   SCOPE, NYSRPA, et. al., should be spending money on investigating corruption and other unlawful activities of those that violate 2A.
View Quote
I've been saying this for at least 5 years now.  Silver, Weiner, Malcom Smith, etc
..all ousted for being exposed for the criminals that they were.  They weren't going to ever lose an election.

Anyone think Princess would still be Governor if any of his infamous tirades was caught on video and uploaded to youtube?  Maybe get the Veritas Project to get some of the anti-gunners on camera to admit to their dirty dealings?  There are limitless opportunities to expose these people.

These crooks will NEVER vote for ethics reform or term limits.  The only viable option is to go after the leadership and hit em where it counts.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've been saying this for at least 5 years now.  Silver, Weiner, Malcom Smith, etc
..all ousted for being exposed for the criminals that they were.  They weren't going to ever lose an election.

Anyone think Princess would still be Governor if any of his infamous tirades was caught on video and uploaded to youtube?  Maybe get the Veritas Project to get some of the anti-gunners on camera to admit to their dirty dealings?  There are limitless opportunities to expose these people.

These crooks will NEVER vote for ethics reform or term limits.  The only viable option is to go after the leadership and hit em where it counts.
View Quote
I've been saying this very same thing, and for as many years insisting that we vote for NO ONE currently in Office, that they've ALL got to GO!  and all the "our Representative is different, he's on our side, blah, blah, blah," is BULLSHIT! What were the ones on "our side" doing to stop the SAFE Act? NOTHING! They were allowed  to vote against it to save face, but they did nothing to stop or thwart it.....no different with the other shenanigans they've pulled.... We must demand Term limits and mandatory incarceration for violation of the Public Trust.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We must demand Term limits and mandatory incarceration for violation of the Public Trust.  
View Quote
Sure..."or what?"   They all circle the wagons for each other.  I don't see Silver in a prison cell and probably never will.  The system is so rigged in their favor it's not even funny.  These criminals pay lip service to ethics reform or term limits, but those bills will never see the light of day and they know it.  More empty talk and smoke screens while they continue to line their pockets.

Government has essentially turned into a criminal enterprise with next to no accountability.  You can't beat them playing nice or by the rules or with fringe lawsuits.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Skelos and his son off the hook now too.

Skelos conviction overturned
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Government has essentially turned into a criminal enterprise with next to no accountability.  You can't beat them playing nice or by the rules or with fringe lawsuits.
View Quote
Isnt that the disgusting truth...
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Someone needs to go after the public authorities which are being used by the political elite as cash cows. This is where the political establishment will be brought down. This is where the pay to play takes place. This is where the deals are made.................. Its much deeper the we can ever dream.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#17]
We need to park a tar pot and chickens in Albany
We need an organization to unify gun enthusiasts
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]
This is mere ripple of the damage done to the taxpayer and the community.  Imagine if something like this takes place at the state level?  

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crime/2017/09/27/christopher-st-lawrence-conviction-upheld/707266001/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top