Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2017 2:09:29 AM EDT
http://www.niagara-gazette.com/news/local_news/hunters-government-industry-at-odds-over-deer-urine/article_8aebf610-176f-5e98-8c35-48455016e025.html

"ALBANY — Deer hunters who like to lure their quarry with a dab of eau de doe-in-rut will have to find another way to attract a trophy buck in New York if state wildlife biologists have their way.

Proposed regulations would add New York to a growing list of states and Canadian provinces banning deer urine lures in an effort to prevent the spread of chronic wasting disease, a deadly brain infection that's working its way through North American deer, elk and moose populations.

The disease is similar to so-called mad cow disease, which affects cattle. Both diseases are caused by infectious proteins called prions, which are believed to be shed in saliva, feces and urine and can contaminate forage plants and build up in soil."
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:23:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Prions are nasty (and scary). They are not bacteria or viruses. They can be hard to destroy even with fire. They were "discovered" mathematically by a mathematician and later confirmed to exist by biologists. 
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Put it in Il Duce food.. He like the taste of it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Both diseases are caused by infectious proteins called prions, which are believed to be shed in saliva, feces and urine and can contaminate forage plants and build up in soil.

So if deer congregate in food plots which leads to more feces being dropped will the state move to ban food plots, how about crop fields.
I guess if they ban it I will just keep pissing in my own mock scrapes.

NY Biologists are real dip shits as times!
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both diseases are caused by infectious proteins called prions, which are believed to be shed in saliva, feces and urine and can contaminate forage plants and build up in soil.

So if deer congregate in food plots which leads to more feces being dropped will the state move to ban food plots, how about crop fields.
I guess if they ban it I will just keep pissing in my own mock scrapes.

NY Biologists are real dip shits as times!
View Quote
Guess I will have to get rid of my fruit and oak trees because they congregate under them when the fruit and acorns drop.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Guess I will have to get rid of my fruit and oak trees because they congregate under them when the fruit and acorns drop.
View Quote
Just put up signs saying deer caught congregating under the trees will be shot on sight.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just put up signs saying deer caught congregating under the trees will be shot on sight.
View Quote
Maybe the DEC should ban snow next since deep snow causes deer to yard up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
ha dec is going to charge by the amount of snow in your yard. The king needs to eat his cake
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've always used scent wafers during the rut. Didn't help but I consider it an extra layer of scent to hide mine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Wish we had a like button for posts!  Preach it Brother Paul!
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wish we had a like button for posts!  Preach it Brother Paul!
View Quote
"Like" AND "Don't Like" both!
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I figure it's just one more step NY is taking in their effort to eventually ban hunting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
They will ban the gathering of matriarchal deer herds and prohibit the release of hormones by female deer.  It's wrong!  So very very wrong!
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I figure it's just one more step NY is taking in their effort to eventually ban hunting.
View Quote
Last year I read lawmakers were shocked at how much money comes in from hunting.  This was a year or two ago.  They really had no idea.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#15]
They will ban quivers that hold more than 3 arrows first
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Holy SHIT! That is kinda horrifying.  gat damn terminator proteins, the scariest part is the environmental transmission, some random diseased deer pisses on some veggies you eat and 10 years later fucking poof! YOU'RE the vegetable.  

nature why you so scary? undead, self replicating, almost impossible to destroy, infectious zombie protein. 

I wonder if a genetic vulnerability to as yet undiscovered prions will eventually be found as the cause of various neurological disorders like Alzheimers, ALS, Parkinsons, MS, and all those lovely things we don't have a handle on yet.   
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Bottled deer pee, the reason CWD is all over the country.

Oh wait.....
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#21]
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
I haven't met anyone with the DEC that I didn't like or think they were acting in the best interests of Hunters & Anglers, and given their due; there really isn't any way to ensure the Lures don't contain the protein connected with CWD....would you eat Bovine meat from a Cow with "Mad Cow Disease" or a Deer with Chronic Wasting Disease?  I wouldn't.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Last year I read lawmakers were shocked at how much money comes in from hunting.  This was a year or two ago.  They really had no idea.
View Quote
Not surprised.  I think liberals really have no fucking clue how much hunters fund conservation.

On one of my former websites that was full of libtards, one of the posters actually wanted the government to spend money spaying the wildlife so that hunters didn't need to cull the herds...  I daresay she probably had no clue how expensive that would be - especially compared to the hunting solution where it actually generates money FOR the programs vs wasting money.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#23]
What a Hunting Licenses cost now $40.? multiplied by how many hundred thousand sold every year? Then there's Fishing, Trapping, and so on....probably better the Legislation DOESN'T know there's money there, else they'll "borrow" it for some vote gaining, pork-barrel project or handout.  
Cuomo tried to fund some anti-gun horseshit a few years back with DEC monies....that didn't go over very well, 'course little that he does finds favor with sportsmen.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Stop paying money for pee you weirdos. Keep your clothes in a bag of dirt and leaves, and hunt the wind. Attractants are just pissing in the wind.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#25]
No deer pee, but they ok'd a tax-payer funded hunting safari from helicopters?!  Morons.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Stop paying money for pee you weirdos. Keep your clothes in a bag of dirt and leaves, and hunt the wind. Attractants are just pissing in the wind.
View Quote
Having watched bucks walk through the woods, hit a scent trail and follow it right in, I have to disagree.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Keep your clothes in a bag of dirt and leaves, and hunt the wind. Attractants are just pissing in the wind.
View Quote
I kinda get this... But, what about the gun thats covered in a light coat of oil & solvents? Residual powder residue on shit... The unnatural smell of polymer furniture. Just the shit I think about sitting on a tree stump in Nov... Meh
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#28]
My bow doesn't smell like gun oil.

Generally speaking, I don't bother with scents during gun season. Pre season and bow season though, yes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My bow doesn't smell like gun oil.
View Quote
Touche...
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#30]
FWIW there are a few companies selling "hunting oils", gun oil with less smell or more of a nature smell. They're not cheap, but you don't need to use them all year. I bought some last year to use mid trip, should my guns get wet or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What a Hunting Licenses cost now $40.? multiplied by how many hundred thousand sold every year? Then there's Fishing, Trapping, and so on....probably better the Legislation DOESN'T know there's money there, else they'll "borrow" it for some vote gaining, pork-barrel project or handout.  
Cuomo tried to fund some anti-gun horseshit a few years back with DEC monies....that didn't go over very well, 'course little that he does finds favor with sportsmen.  
View Quote
He tried to sweep the Conservation Fund coffers when he first got in.  All the money there is from sporting licenses and fines from fish and wildlife laws.   They got stopped cold there as the Law prohibits just such a raid.  

He or his staff also had the bright idea to order the killing off of the pheasants in the stocking program and to feed them to the inmates.   The only thing that stopped them there is there was a very large chunk of federal grant money in them birds from Pittman Robertson taxes on sporting goods.   They would have had to give back money to the Feds.   The Feds are always watching for that shit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:00:00 AM EDT
[#33]
What ever happened to the $30+ million cut from DEC's budget to pay for the ammo purchase background check that was never implemented?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top