Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2017 9:49:44 PM EDT
Too early to tell for sure, but it looks like it's heading for the tri-state area. Watch it, gentlemen. It has a potential to really mess things up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope so.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been watching that one since it was a bunch of clouds several days ago. The G, H and I's have had a history of hitting Long Island. Irene was the last "I" back in 2011. Sandy was an odd duck. Gloria hit in 1985. 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope so.
View Quote
Haha, yes
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I was planning on doing some generator maintenance Monday anyway...swapping out old-ish fuel and using it in the lawnmower, and filling up a couple gas cans I have laying around.

Wanted to convert my Generac GP5500 to natural gas/propane before hurricane season, but life got in the way with a newborn baby. Gas will work fine though.

I have a manual transfer switch all hooked up, and the GP5500 powers about 75% of my house...all the important stuff at least (kitchen, living room/cable/internet, bathroom and bedroom lights, furnace and central AC etc.)

Might as well load up some 10 round 6.8, 5.56 and 9mm mags while I'm at it...because looters and zombies aren't too far away being in Westchester county.

My house is not in any kind of flood plain, and never gets flooded (don't even have a sump pump)...but the power does go down pretty easily.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Latest models show it hitting somewhere between Florida and the Carolinas. Hope for the best.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was planning on doing some generator maintenance Monday anyway...swapping out old-ish fuel and using it in the lawnmower, and filling up a couple gas cans I have laying around.

Wanted to convert my Generac GP5500 to natural gas/propane before hurricane season, but life got in the way with a newborn baby. Gas will work fine though.

I have a manual transfer switch all hooked up, and the GP5500 powers about 75% of my house...all the important stuff at least (kitchen, living room/cable/internet, bathroom and bedroom lights, furnace and central AC etc.)

Might as well load up some 10 round 6.8, 5.56 and 9mm mags while I'm at it...because looters and zombies aren't too far away being in Westchester county.

My house is not in any kind of flood plain, and never gets flooded (don't even have a sump pump)...but the power does go down pretty easily.

Good luck!
View Quote
Are you nyseg or con ed?  NYSEg has been doing a ton of trimming & cutting the past few years which helped a lot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Better stock up on bread, milk and bottled water.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check those generators, get a few cases of water and grab some gas Just in case.
Last thing you wanna do is rely on big brother.
View Quote
What Il Duece Cuomo is not going to help you ??? But hes for the working people...FSA
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully it won't migrate North for at least another week: the Kids are on a Cruise going to Jamaica and the local Ports.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I already advised my sister who is in Farmingdale to start prepping now and make sure they have their s--t together. They need fuel for their generator and propane for the grill. They have bottled water and plenty of food. Told her better she get everything now than find out Wednesday when the storm track will have better probability and everyone empties the Walmart. 
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Funny how most will wait until the last minute, then bitch about crowds, price, and availability.

Good luck to our Brothers to the South and East, living on the Eastern Shore of Ontario, we don't have to worry too much about Hurricanes, but we really get pounded when those bitter cold winds sweep down from Canada..."how deep is the snow?  Asshole deep on a six foot Indian."
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess I should prepare for the chance of having to run down and help my folks down near Myrtle Beach.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I guess I should prepare for the chance of having to run down and help my folks down near Myrtle Beach.
View Quote
41magluva if you need someone to help out if it hits there. MB is only 105 miles from where i leave..
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#17]
We are not out of the water just yet. But it is looking better than previously, where it showed a direct hit on NY/NJ area.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We are not out of the water just yet. But it is looking better than previously, where it showed a direct hit on NY/NJ area.
View Quote
Yes, Florida to Carolinas looking more likely now. However, predictions are that we will get something of the storm in the September 10-12 timeframe. 
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I still have my fingers crossed for a calamity here.  Why should down south have all the fun?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I still have my fingers crossed for a calamity here.  Why should down south have all the fun?
View Quote
I'm all for calamity, but not above category 2. I like my house.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm all for calamity, but not above category 2. I like my house.
View Quote
Let's see a Category 4 hit Manhattan, bet they don't respond like Houston, TX did!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:05:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Fuck I have to drive to Boston on 9-12 for a consult with my oncologist and surgeons.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes, Florida to Carolinas looking more likely now. However, predictions are that we will get something of the storm in the September 10-12 timeframe. 
View Quote
Saturday morning we took the Oldest and DIL to the Airport; headed to Miami for a Cruise to the Bahama's  
They're supposed  to be back Sunday, but I'm thinking that trip may be cut short.

Hiram:  My sincerest sympathies: Since May, our youngest has been dealing with sarcoma, infections and worst of all side effects....sucks is an understatement.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fuck I have to drive to Boston on 9-12 for a consult with my oncologist and surgeons.
View Quote
Avoid using the ferry at all costs!

Best of luck to you, BROTHER!
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
41magluva if you need someone to help out if it hits there. MB is only 105 miles from where i leave..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.  He's better prepped than most of his neighbors, but I will go down to help clean up if his house takes on water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top