Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2017 11:44:26 PM EDT
Where can I go that hipsters, college students, and the like haven't ruined?

Don't say Beak & Skiff
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:11:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Behlings Orchards in Mexico (Arthur): Know them very well!  
114 Potter Road, Mexico, NY
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Behling's or Appledale.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Behlings for sure
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Behlings is opening  but other than a very few "early" apples, they aren't ready yet.
I'll try to remember to post updates with when and what's ready (if there's a call for it).  
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Abbotts in a Baldwinsville has always been our orchard of choice. Big enough to handle a quality festival/event and have a BIG selection of apples & products but still small enough to sneak in and out of in an hour on a Tuesday afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:41:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I just finished peach ?? picking. I have a tree that I started from a pit I planted in 2005. Every odd year it presents me with a huge bounty of fruit. Unfortunately, unlike apples ??, the peaches all ripen around the same time and go bad rather quickly. I have stored apples for weeks but peaches no such luck. 
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Being interested in growing Apples, there is really a LOT of work and things to be done to the trees and budding fruit, for example when apples first appear the bunch like grapes and you cull them down to one or two at least six inches apart. That's what allows the apples to grow to eating size.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Just call me Paco the Apple Thief

Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just call me Paco the Apple Thief

https://i.imgur.com/6oa70eM.jpg
View Quote
It's laughable the social justice people that claim not to be raciest or prejudice: I say that because a couple times a car load of people have shown up wanting to know and talk to the Mexican Laborers they have there, well that ain't happing because there are't ANY!  Stupid fuckers, all the seasonal help they hire come from Jamaica; the Orchard owners secure ALL the permits/Visas, etc. (issued in Chicago no less)Fly them here, supply them better housing than the owner lives in (State Dept. of Labor inspects and approves it) and while the DoL is there, they repeatedly "check the books" to make sure taxes, and Payroll is properly prepared.....The State has its nose so far up everybody's ass they can tell what you ate yesterday!  This business of "illegal's" and undocumented Labor is a bunch of bullshit drummed up by the Progressives and Statists.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't say Beak & Skiff
View Quote

What?  Did the hipsters ruin my favorite orchard?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't say Beak & Skiff

It's worse than you could possibly imagine.

Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:08:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Owens Orchard
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
We always get apples here when we come up to Salmon fish.  We pass this place every day on our way to and from the river.  We stay at a friends house in Mexico....
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's worse than you could possibly imagine.

View Quote
Don't hate them, they built a fucking empire off apples, I think its awesome what they've done.

Try Owens orchard just outside of Elbridge, its a really nice place with some killer apples
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't hate them, they built a fucking empire off apples, I think its awesome what they've done.

Try Owens orchard just outside of Elbridge, its a really nice place with some killer apples  
View Quote
I'm drinking 1911 now.  I don't hate them at all.  It's just not the local townie place it once was with its quirky country charm.

That's what I'm looking for.

Having said that, anybody gone to Cackleberry Castle since it reopened?

I'm going to go this year.  It was a tradition growing up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We always get apples here when we come up to Salmon fish.  We pass this place every day on our way to and from the river.  We stay at a friends house in Mexico....
View Quote
I'm very good friends with one of the owners (Family Business) and know the expense and effort they go through to produce a picture perfect product...the showboating is the other Brother's gig.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Come to beak and skiff, my kids'll throw apples out the window of our Toyota at you whiney locals before roaring off with our van full of pre picked apples and over priced pies. MUHA HA HA HA!
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Come to beak and skiff, my kids'll throw apples out the window of our Toyota at you whiney locals before roaring off with our van full of pre picked apples and over priced pies. MUHA HA HA HA!
View Quote
From big bastards come 'lil bastards.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:52:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
"Hand crafted" by the SU trans, Muslim, non-binary, jewish Buddhist, taoist Marxist, pentocostal progressive gender studies student.

Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#22]
When I want overpriced pies, my goto source is the Amish.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll be at b&s this sat, my mom lives our whole family to go once a year.   I dong mind, we've been doing it since I was a little kid
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'll be at b&s this sat, my mom lives our whole family to go once a year.   I dong mind, we've been doing it since I was a little kid
View Quote
Don't get the fritters.

Terrible compared to what they used to be.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When I want overpriced pies, my goto source is the Amish.
View Quote
It was a good pie!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It was a good pie!
View Quote
Wtf guys!?  No invite for pie?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Wtf guys!?  No invite for pie?
View Quote
It was a package deal.  Served next to a campfire in the adirondacks.  Maybe you will join us next time?

??
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Went today for the first time.  I've never seen bigger apples in my life.

Place was perfect.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I was drinking coffee this morning and my wife came waltzing in with a big bag of freshly picked bag of honeycrisps.

Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Too hot for me to go, but soon!
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Too hot for me to go, but soon!
View Quote
we went pretty early to beat the heat.

Discovered kick-n-chicken too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Went today for the first time.  I've never seen bigger apples in my life.

Place was perfect.
View Quote
NICE!

Again, knowing the owners and how much work and expense they put into it I'd be shocked at anything less....I know that sounds like a bunch of advertising bullshit, but that IS my expressed opinion.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Never been, but the neighbors go every year and come back with a huge overpriced bag of apples.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Never been, but the neighbors go every year and come back with a huge overpriced bag of apples.
View Quote
You should go apple picking sometime when you can afford it.  Then you won't have to shit in threads basking in your own self-righteousness.

Congratulations on saving five dollars.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You should go apple picking sometime when you can afford it.  Then you won't have to shit in threads basking in your own self-righteousness.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see you take your apple picking very seriously. Seriously. Very.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Please stop
View Quote
Stop buying local?  No way!  Buying in bulk is actually cheaper than walmart (comparative unit price) and the money goes to local farmers.  WIN/WIN.  Also, the experience of walking through the orchard, breathing the sweet country air, dodging the piles of deer turds and sneaking off to buy a cider donut when the wife isn't looking....priceless.

Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:23:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Now that looks like a local event!

Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Man Behlings has some honking apples. As good as it gets for me. Appledale also has some good ones when you're in "grab and go" mode.

On a kinda related note we were looking for "dilly" beans from the Amish but couldn't find any.  These things are rediculously delishious but we checked most of the roads around Mexico on the way to Pulaski but couldn't find any. Lots of vegetable stands and such but no canned dilly beans.  The Amish are buying LOTS of land around there and we saw 2 different schools.  We almost killed one of the buggies at dusk.  Seems all they have to do is put a candle lantern on the side of it to comply with the law.  I also dropped some coin in  collose cheese damn I love that place!
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I love Colosse Cheese!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Who doesn't love cheese?  We've all been here right?

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No skinny jean hipsters
View Quote

Perfect
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top