Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2017 7:00:27 PM EDT
Hey NY HTF, I need your help.  My oldest is playing baseball at the dream park for the week, and I wanna know what I have to see while we are here.

Anyone got any suggestions for a southerner up here?  Bars, activities for a 6 year old or something to do other than baseball?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Ommegang Brewery about 10 mins away was good, gave a nice tour...haven't been there in a few years, but my father in law said they completely renovated the tasting room and it's much nicer now
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Whomever came up with that dream park thing is a genius. People come from all over the country to play ball outside of town in what was a farmers field.

I don't know that there's any place I'd rather be, and yet.... I can't think of a single thing for you to do there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely Brewery Ommegang.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:42:28 AM EDT
[#4]
They've reconstructed what an 18th century village would've looked like.  It's excellent.  They even have a printing press and some other neat things.

Besides the Hall of Fame, the Fenimore Art Museum has a rotating collection of original artwork.  The last time I was there they had American Folk Art (my favorite) featuring an original Grandma Moses.  They had original Ansel Adams photographs as well.  The best collection was on the lower level.  It was a large collection of Native American weapons, pipes, and dress as well as colonial British and frontier American weapons and dress.

You have to remember, the namesake of the town is James Fenimore Cooper, author of The Last of the Mohicans.  The setting of the story is where you'll be.  If you have the time, do some research on the leather stocking region to know some more about the area.  Also, the museum was Cooper's home.

Cherry Valley isn't too far away.  There was a major massacre there during the Revolutionary war:

"The Cherry Valley massacre was an attack by British and Iroquois forces on a fort and the village of Cherry Valley in eastern New York on November 11, 1778, during the American Revolutionary War. It has been described as one of the most horrific frontier massacres of the war.[1] A mixed force of Loyalists, British soldiers, Seneca and Mohawks descended on Cherry Valley, whose defenders, despite warnings, were unprepared for the attack. During the raid, the Seneca in particular targeted non-combatants, and reports state that 30 such individuals were slain, in addition to a number of armed defenders."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Valley_massacre

There's a monument there to honor the dead.

The area was a point of extreme war fighting between Colonial forces and the British allied Natives under The Sullivan Expedition authorized by then Major General Washington.  

There's an original Norman Rockwell at the HOF, make sure to see that.

As mentioned, there's brewery Ommegang as well as Cooperstown Brewery.  

Gorgeous area!
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#5]
It is definitely a gorgeous area!

Will hit the Ommegang.  Tried one of their beers last night at Shermans Tavern.

2ndamendmentknights-Awesome information, thank you!  I see we'll have some exploring to do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Howe Caverns & Saratoga Battle Field & Racetrack(Horses) this time of year. I think you just jump on 88, about an hour or so. Come on down to the Remington Museum. I like the Farmers museum, the stone man was big news back in the day. Soccer hall of fame was close also, but closed down last I knew. Fun place, was much more interactive the BB HOF. You have what some claim to be country's largest mall, (Destinany MALL)  an hourish to your west. Not a normal mall. Go carts, wonder works, house of mirriors, lots of cool shit for all ages. Copperstown fun park, bumper boats, go karts, laser tag, mini golf. Nobody ever there, no lines no waiting... Kill a couple hours at fly creek cider mill. Leaves are changing up north...
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whomever came up with that dream park thing is a genius. People come from all over the country to play ball outside of town in what was a farmers field.

I don't know that there's any place I'd rather be, and yet.... I can't think of a single thing for you to do there.
View Quote
I miss the old  Ingalls Farm that was there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Farmer's Museum
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top