Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 1:55:30 PM EDT
I own a mostly stock Stag Arms Model T2 (added PA red dot and foregrip).

I got a job offer in Manhattan...

How to I make my AR NY state legal?

Do I have to do anything involving law enforcement before or after I move (registering my weapon, etc)?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Would post in the Hometown forum for NY/NJ, but I may be spreading doom and gloom here, but I think you're more or less SOL when it comes to bringing it into the City.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Do I have to do anything involving law enforcement before or after I move (registering my weapon, etc)?

You can not legally own any AR 15 in New York City.

If you try to register an AR in NYC you will be in a world of hurt; they are illegal to posess inside the city limits.

I believe that in Westchester or Long Island, should you decide to live outside of the city proper,  they must be pre ban lowers with low cap or grandfathered  magazines, no bayonet lug, and no flash hider; post ban configuration.

No registration required in Long Island or Westchester.

The "assault rifle ban" never ended in New York State as far as I know, which is why you'll need a pre ban lower and a post ban upper.

You should ask this question on the NY hometown forum.

I don't believe there is any registration outside of NYC itself.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Well that sucks.

Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Only Criminials are allow to have guns in N.Y.C.  I live there for 7 years. You have to wait for a very long time even for a handgun license.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it is like CT. Muzzle brakes (NOT flash hiders) must be pinned and welded.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#6]

they must be pre ban lowers with low cap or grandfathered  magazines, no bayonet lug, and no flash hider; post ban configuration.

This part is incorrect.  With pre-ban lowers, there's no need for ban compliant uppers. That's kinda the point of having one. You can have flashiders, collapsible stocks, bayo lugs, that would otherwise be a no-go on a post-ban lower.

Yeah, live in Long Island  or Westchester and commute.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Stay in RI and take the train? Fuck NYC
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a 870 and use that for HD.  Keep your AR else where.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The AR is a no go in the city. Every firearm in the city most be registered.

Live on Long Island. No registration, but the ban is still in effect. SO no mags over 10 rounds unless they were made before September 1994, pin and weld brakes, no adjustable stocks, etc.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll babysit it for you, free of charge! You pay shipping though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The AR is a no go in the city. Every firearm in the city most be registered.

Live on Long Island. No registration, but the ban is still in effect. SO no mags over 10 rounds unless they were made before September 1994, pin and weld brakes, no adjustable stocks, etc.

Better off north of the city IMHO.  It will cost you less than living in Westchester or on Long Island.  You like $10K property taxes on a $400K (average) house?

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

First off, congratulations on the job offer, however, if you already have a job where you live in RI, consider the following.  Manahttan is one of the most expensive places in the world to live, probably just after Hong Kong and London.  It's a little cheaper if you're willing to commute, however plan to spend no less than 1 hour, and more likely 1.5 to 2 each day, each way if you  work peak hours if you live outside the other boroughs, or Jersey City/Hoboken.  The extra money that out of towners think that they'll make by taking a job in Manhattan usually gets eaten up rather quickly by these things, along with the ridiculous parking fees, tolls, and city income tax.  

Now, if you still want to move, realize that while living in Manhattan if you work there affords the most free time/least hassle not spent commuting, it is not without it's drawbacks.  The city does have it's own income tax, all guns are illegal in the city, you may get a license to posses certain long guns, and most handguns, but it's not easy, and costs time, money, and aggrivation.  You'll find it difficult to live like most middle class families in the rest of the country while living in Manhattan unless you make $250k and up per year, and thats living in an ok neighborhood, maybe having 1 car for yourself and your wife, your kids will most likely have to go to private school, and you'll want to escape on the weekends.  Living outside the city will give you some relief, but again, you'll have to commute.  If you work in lower Manhattan, New Jersey actually presents the best choice as far as commuting, as it's the closest, but then you're dealing with NJ gunlaws, which aren't nearly as bad as NYC, but there are some hoops to jump through.  

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

First off, congratulations on the job offer, however, if you already have a job where you live in RI, consider the following.  Manahttan is one of the most expensive places in the world to live, probably just after Hong Kong and London.  It's a little cheaper if you're willing to commute, however plan to spend no less than 1 hour, and more likely 1.5 to 2 each day, each way if you  work peak hours if you live outside the other boroughs, or Jersey City/Hoboken.  The extra money that out of towners think that they'll make by taking a job in Manhattan usually gets eaten up rather quickly by these things, along with the ridiculous parking fees, tolls, and city income tax.  

Now, if you still want to move, realize that while living in Manhattan if you work there affords the most free time/least hassle not spent commuting, it is not without it's drawbacks.  The city does have it's own income tax, all guns are illegal in the city, you may get a license to posses certain long guns, and most handguns, but it's not easy, and costs time, money, and aggrivation.  You'll find it difficult to live like most middle class families in the rest of the country while living in Manhattan unless you make $250k and up per year, and thats living in an ok neighborhood, maybe having 1 car for yourself and your wife, your kids will most likely have to go to private school, and you'll want to escape on the weekends.  Living outside the city will give you some relief, but again, you'll have to commute.  If you work in lower Manhattan, New Jersey actually presents the best choice as far as commuting, as it's the closest, but then you're dealing with NJ gunlaws, which aren't nearly as bad as NYC, but there are some hoops to jump through.  

Good luck

Wise words.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#14]
why in the world would you move to NYC?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#15]
NYC or NYS stay away unless you plan on not liking firearms. Its democrap heaven here. Look else where for employment if you can.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#16]
My guess he is attracted by the (seemingly) generous salaries offered.

He'll need every dime of it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I would not work or reside in NYC for any amount of money. Think twice, OP!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Heres a picture of what a NYC Compliant AR15 looks like:

NYC doesn't want you to have any assault weapons with banana assault clips. And if you decide to get a rifle permit, prepare to jump through plenty of hoops and wind up with a very very limited selection. If you want to own an AR in NY it's best not to live in any of the 5 boroughs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:48:45 AM EDT
[#19]
NJ just as bad if not worse!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#20]
No rifles or shotguns without permit either

Quoted:
Buy a 870 and use that for HD.  Keep your AR else where.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Fuxx NYC. I don't know why anyone puts up with all of their B.S. Im going to pay all of your extra taxes, tolls and fees then you are going to say I can own a firearm that is legal in the rest of NYS? Fuxx that!  

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#22]
ar15guy 99 as other posters have indicated- you either better be getting paid 300K a year to live within reasonable distance to manhattan to work/relocate, or at least 200K a year  AND live with 4 hours of commuting to a reasonable place to live on top of your work day hours. I live in extreme western NY, have been to the "city" a number of times and my conclusion is there is no amount of money on earth that could possible make me live and work there- I really mean it- if someone offered me 2 mil a year I wouldn't even have to think twice about saying no thanks!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a transplanted NY'er now in the gunshine state.  Most of the info already posted is true.  From what I remember ( I moved to Fl. shortly after the towers fell ) NY is a ban state.  If you have a pre ban gun, you're OK outside the city limits.  That means, NO Manhatten, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx,  or Staten Island.  Long Island is Ok, as I believe (don't quote me)  is upstate NY.

The assault weapons ban allows 2 of the following "evil" things on your gun.
Pistol Grip
Detachable magazine
Adjustable stock
Bayonet lug
Threaded barrel
Grenade launcher

Also if your gun is post ban, I think you're limited to using 10 round mags.

My advice, live in Connecticut or on Long Island and commute.  It would probably be cheaper in the long run anyway.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
why in the world would you move to NYC?

this....fuck NY!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm a transplanted NY'er now in the gunshine state.  Most of the info already posted is true.  From what I remember ( I moved to Fl. shortly after the towers fell ) NY is a ban state.  If you have a pre ban gun, you're OK outside the city limits.  That means, NO Manhatten, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx,  or Staten Island.  Long Island is Ok, as I believe (don't quote me)  is upstate NY.

The assault weapons ban allows 2 of the following "evil" things on your gun.
Pistol Grip
Detachable magazine
Adjustable stock
Bayonet lug
Threaded barrel
Grenade launcher

Also if your gun is post ban, I think you're limited to using 10 round mags.

My advice, live in Connecticut or on Long Island and commute.  It would probably be cheaper in the long run anyway.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good thing I lost my grenade launcher in the last boating accident
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:05:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Move to PA, commute through NJ. It can be done.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Only criminials and us cops are allow to have guns in N.Y.C.  I live there for 7 years. You have to wait for a very long time even for a handgun license.

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#29]
cold hands- outside of nyc if you have a post ban gun you can still use preban mags- the paragraphs of law for rifles and mags are seperate- I have overhead many people say this mistakenly- any pre-ban mag is good to go in any gun. It is also INCORRECT-and I have heard this too- that if you have a pre-ban gun you can use post ban high caps- NO! a post ban over 10 rounder is illegal except for gov/le use period.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

if someone offered me 2 mil a year I wouldn't even have to think twice about saying no thanks!
If it were me I would take it.  The difference is those of us already living in the boiling pot are adjusted to the heat.  Those coming from a free or semi-free state are the ones who hear the loud clank as the iron wall closes behind them as they enter and suffer the shock of seeing all they have lost.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
if someone offered me 2 mil a year I wouldn't even have to think twice about saying no thanks!
If it were me I would take it.  The difference is those of us already living in the boiling pot are adjusted to the heat.  Those coming from a free or semi-free state are the ones who hear the loud clank as the iron wall closes behind them as they enter and suffer the shock of seeing all they have lost.

Yep, coming from a free state SUCKS hardcore to be here...I don't know what I did to deserve ending up here but I'm going to church as often as I can these days to hopefully get forgiven for it because it had to be something really, REALLY bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top