Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 4:33:06 PM EDT
Just got back a few hours ago after the conclusion of the Camp Smith CMP event.

I got to say that the NYSRPA did an *excellent* job putting everything together and running the show. Very professional and very well managed. Their coaches were second to none and extremely helpful. We froze our asses off Saturday morning in that storage unit but Sunday made up for it. I had a great time and picked up a lot. My thanks to the NYSRPA for running such a great event.

I only have one negative thing to say and that doesn't actually involve the guys in charge. Those Marine Cadets were a disappointment. I don't think they took the event seriously at all and it showed. It was a lot of things from failure to follow instruction to firearm safety to attitude. Really disappointing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a great time. Even the ICE BOX was an experience I won't forget, and I really love the cold.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 2:48:35 AM EDT
[#3]
That's interesting, when I went a few years ago there was a group of National Guard troops that were also a constant source of problems. They were constantly getting yelled at by the RO's. Like you said, not following instructions was a big one, but they also had to be called to pull down and score the targets repeatedly where the rest of us hardly had to be reminded of that, they just weren't paying attention.

These folks were a bit older, so I can't write it off too much to youth, but I suspect it's the fact that everyone else there specifically sought out and signed up for this class, where they probably were sent there as part of their training. It wasn't something they particularly wanted to do, so they weren't really invested in the course.

I'll also add that despite this, it was a wonderful course. You really learn a lot and they even provide a rifle if you don't have one. Highly recommended.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Man the geese were frigging hilarious. You've got something like 35 guys on the line with loaded rifles and the geese are just chilling in the pond, screwing around, having a good time. Irony is great.

Firearms can't be evil.. geese can sense evil and they seemed to have no problem with them.

Its not the first time. I was a member of Cos Cob Archers for awhile and they used to have deer on the 3D range ALL THE TIME. You'd be burying arrows into the heart of a 3D deer target with a real one standing right next to it. Very funny.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for building 41 on Saturday being so cold , we have no control over what building we get from Camp Smith .The wearher did not let us  go out side for the dry fire session so  we had to alter our program  .About the Cadets an other Jrs. you never know what will happen to them in the future. As of now there are about 40 who are in service to our country , an yes some have been killed an wonded in action .We do every thing to help them out ,Remember we were all YOUNG  once .Bruce Kraft
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Bruce:

Thanks again to you and all the instructors - the $50 that  cost was truly a bargain
compared to what I learned. I was your "student" during the dry fire phase. Thanks for
the advice and I'll be looking into that stock service rifle before I get much further.

Regards,

Ed
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#7]
We want to see you SAFSers come out and shoot matches now!     Dont let the fact that you dont have all the equipment deter you.    We will go out of our way to lend you what you need and give you coaching.

Next match is @ Roslyn Club  this saturday (calverton).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top