Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 3:11:30 PM EDT
My daughter's computer keeps crashing after she updated her version of Windows XP, I tried back dating it and it was working very slow, and then I started getting those ugly blue screens. I don't want to lose the programs and data that are in the computer, so I need someone that knows about this stuff to fix it.

I was going to take the unit to Compusa or Best Buy but I don't know if I can trust them.

Any ideas?   Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
What was she updating. Was she downloading updates from microsoft site, then she had a problem. Because she can unistall the updates from the control panel if one of the updates caused a problem.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What was she updating. Was she downloading updates from microsoft site, then she had a problem. Because she can unistall the updates from the control panel if one of the updates caused a problem.

Yes, it was one of those automatic updates from Microsoft, and then the computer was never the same. Where in the control panel do I find a way to uninstall the update? (Assuming I can reboot the computer)

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Your first post you say she updated her version. Do you mean she went to SP2? SP2 cause some machines to crash for some reasons. I have dealt with this before. It turned out to be a bad chip on the mobo. Does she have the programs on CD that came with the computer? Yes, you should always have a second location to back up saved files. I use an external HD, CD-DVDs and USB flash drives. It can be helpful to run error checking and defrag at least once a month. You really don't need expensive programs to back up your entire HD. Just the saved files and the programs themselves is all you need.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I wil ltry to work on this tomorrow and I'll report back to you.
Mark, I may have to call you. Thanks.

DefMan, do you work with computers? I wouldn't mind paying someone to do this for me.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I work with computers on the side now. A+ certified for 7 years. I always work on machines such as Dell, HP, Gateway, IBM, Compaqs, homemade PCs and such. I don't normally charge anyone unless it will really take my time. Your problem sounds like a simple fix unless something is really wrong. Simple hardware and software is what I do. No serious networking. I work in Garden City right by NCC on Endo. I think I'm not too far from you.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Defman.  IM sent
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Um....yeah, except if your oem doesn't give you program disks just a drive image on disk with the boot files included.
In the same vein, you need a cloning sw program to get the OS onto a new drive since Winblows won't  copy iteself.

That's why I only shop at Compusa wen they are having sales and I get stuff F R E E after rebate.

True but some programs allow you to burn those OEM copies to CD before using the computer like my PowerSpec does. Unfortunately some don't do that lol. Or the second partition that contain winblows and the boot files will stay there even if you format the C: partition. That's why I shop at MicroCenter for their sales and rebates and their credit card allows me to rack up points to get coupons for money off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top