Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 2:17:55 PM EDT
Two weeks ago I read two newspaper articles about experts predicting New York will be hit by a powerful hurricane, as powerful as Katrina. The last big hurricane in this area was in 1938 and killed 600 people.

Joe Bastardi, the chief weather forecaster for Accuweather said "The Northeast is staring down the barrel of a gun" All weather patterns seem to indicate that it is just a matter of time until we get hit. This summer looks like it could be the one.

The Question is: Are you prepared? (just in case)

I have to review this. I am prepared to be in my house for at least 2 months, but to bug out? At this point I wouldn't even know where to go, or what to take with me. (I have some work ahead of me)

Any ideas you can share will be appreciated by all of us.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:28:53 PM EDT
I'm sure we're not all ready. Be sure to include animals in your hurricane plans. With shelters not allowing them, you'll need plenty of water, food for them and ammo. I laugh at the Coastal Evacuation route signs on the Meadowbrook. If a big one comes, I sure as hell hope they don't plan on using the nassau coliseum like the did to the superdome in NOLA.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:43:33 PM EDT
I'm gonna crawl into the corner make peepee in my pants and scream like a girl
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:02:51 PM EDT
I'll be dead, I live on a big sandbar.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:57:27 PM EDT
Just imangine trying to get off this island what a cluster @#$% that would be. I laugh at the coatal evac route signs. I would just grab my guns and a little rubber dingy, and as much alcohol as possible, So i could pick up all the chicks wading through the water. lol
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:06:29 PM EDT
I live on the 39th floor of my apartment building, which is about the worst place to be.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:07:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:34:32 PM EDT
Actually, thinking about it now and preparing for it in advance gives you a huge advantage over 99.5% of your neighbors.

If you haven't, spend some time on our Survival Forum. These questions come up all the time.

Personally, I'd suggest if you get a 3 day+ warning that a Cat 4/5 is heading in, come on up to CNY ASAP and go shooting with Ed Sr, Aimless, MDTS, and me
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:03:35 PM EDT
This would be a good reason to get a group together and make plans.
I would be very interested in joining a group that as a whole can weather something along these lines.

Steve 'Cityrepo61'
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:06:19 PM EDT
We are way over due! I can't believe how they have rebuilt Dune Rd in West Hampton Beach or now West Hampton Dunes. A good Cat 4 or 5 and that place will be history again.

Getting off LI would be a nightmare at best. You can't even get over the bridges during rush hour. The South shore will get the worst of it. I remember Gloria and we had no power for 2 weeks even up here on the North Shore. Unlike NO, LA we are not below sea level.

SP10 said it best... if you are prepared you are ahead of most folks. At least it's usually warm out and you can BBQ. Keeping the beer cold is the real problem.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:57:40 PM EDT
I'd say we are long over due. The last major hurricane we've had was gloria and that was what 20 years ago? Andrew wasn't that bad. We may not be below sea level but we are still subject to substantial flooding and a Katrina scenario is a possibility because our aid/supply routes could be severed. It would be a nightmare trying to get off the Island in any catastrophic event whether it's natural or terrorism. Our bridges and highways can't even handle everyday rush hour and that's probably only about 25% to a third of traffic to expect during an evacuation. Then you have to factor in NYC evactuating in front of us, so forget about it. Best bet is to make plans staying here.

I'm pretty much prepared. Here is my check list:

multiple AKs, AR15s, hunting rifles
stockpile of ammo
dozens of magazines
defense shotgun
attic and Basement space
canoe
4 wheel drive truck
batteries
canned/non-perishable food
bottled water
propane grills
camping gear
flashlights/lanterns/candles/matches
gasoline generator
full gas containers
carbon monoxide detector
battery operated AM/FM radio
2 way radios
chainsaw
Fishing/hunting supplies

I probably have more useful survival gear but that's all I can think of at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:27:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:37:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 7:44:39 PM EDT by bear3351]
IF we have enough warning, maybe we have a chance to get out, assuming we have made some plans.

We need a couple of guys with land/house upstate that will be willing to let some people stayed there for a while and start stock piling stuff over there, tents, food, water, etc, etc. or just give a cash amount to this person for him to get the supplies. You don't pay or contribute with supplies; you don't get directions how to get there.

That way all we need to do is pack enough supplies to get there. (Including gas)
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:38:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ne1:
I'd say we are long over due. The last major hurricane we've had was gloria and that was what 20 years ago? Andrew wasn't that bad. We may not be below sea level but we are still subject to substantial flooding and a Katrina scenario is a possibility because our aid/supply routes could be severed. It would be a nightmare trying to get off the Island in any catastrophic event whether it's natural or terrorism. Our bridges and highways can't even handle everyday rush hour and that's probably only about 25% to a third of traffic to expect during an evacuation. Then you have to factor in NYC evactuating in front of us, so forget about it. Best bet is to make plans staying here.

I'm pretty much prepared. Here is my check list:

multiple AKs, AR15s, hunting rifles
stockpile of ammo
dozens of magazines
defense shotgun
attic and Basement space
canoe
4 wheel drive truck
batteries
canned/non-perishable food
bottled water
propane grills
camping gear
flashlights/lanterns/candles/matches
gasoline generator
full gas containers
carbon monoxide detector
battery operated AM/FM radio
2 way radios
chainsaw
Fishing/hunting supplies

I probably have more useful survival gear but that's all I can think of at the moment.

If there is mandatory evacuation, how are you packing all these stuff and where are you going?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:58:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:06:31 AM EDT
3 blocks from the bay now, maybe I'll have waterfront property after, lol.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:40:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 4:51:52 AM EDT by bear3351]

Originally Posted By pequa1:
3 blocks from the bay now, maybe I'll have waterfront property after, lol.

LOL, just like this 2 people.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:29:14 AM EDT
im about 25 yds from the ocean.

Least im 3 stories up

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:15:03 AM EDT
The biggest worry for you rogerdoger is the stop sign right by the picture that everyone runs.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:35:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BeachPatrol:
The biggest worry for you rogerdoger is the stop sign right by the picture that everyone runs.

ur right , i almost get killed everyday when trying to get into my garage
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:40:19 PM EDT
Anything above a Cat II would certainly be interesting disaster for NYC.
I wonder how we'd fair this far NW and if the storm would intensify over the Great Lakes?
We survived Hurricanes growing up in Florida,... things wouldn't be much diffrent here.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:55:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BeachPatrol:

Or making the wrong turn into Magnolia Pier
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:00:07 AM EDT
The colder waters USUALLY drop a Cat 3 to a Cat 2 when it hits just north of the continental shelf off LI. Byt the time it got to the Great Lakes the winds would be down to 50 or 60 but flooding would be likely.
On the south shore of LI, its the storm surge and wind that will do us in. Hard to worry about flooding from rain when it just flows into the bay- unless the bay is ten feet higher than normal !
There is a great mapping system, web site forgotten, but a search finds it easy, that shows you how far the storm surge goes up (Southern State Parkway, Sunrise Highway) etc. depending on whether its a Cat 1 Cat 2, etc. Massapequa is inundated all the way up with a Cat 3.
But I was south of Merrick Road in the 50s with Donna, Carol, Hazel etc and we never flooded, not even the crawl space. Yet trees were down all over, much worse than that little storm of 1985 known as Gloria.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:15:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen:
I live on the 39th floor of my apartment building, which is about the worst place to be.

I'd say that's a pretty good place, that is, unless the water gets 40 stories deep!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:06:22 PM EDT
So, who else is preparing for this? Can you share what your plans are?
Top Top