Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/28/2006 12:53:37 PM EDT
Can any of you NY guys tell me if it is legal to target shoot on private property in Delaware county? My hunting club has 350acres in Downsville, and I will be up there this weekend, and wanted to shoot, and not get hassled. Also, just to double check, AR’s in NY, post ban compliant and 10rnd mags max?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:12:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2006 3:15:48 PM EDT by sharky30]
preban mags can be over 10 rounds
target shooting is legal on private property, there are some DEC regs about minimum distances from houses and other buildings. I'll dig those up and edit this

Discharge of Firearms and Bows

It is illegal to discharge a firearm or bow:

* so that the load or arrow passes over any part of a public highway,
* within 500 feet of any school, playground, or an occupied factory or church,
* within 500 feet of a dwelling, farm building or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent.
* You may hunt waterfowl over water within 500 feet of a dwelling, public structure, livestock, or person as long as none of these are in the line of fire and within 500 feet of you.

I'm not 100% sure on whether that only applies to hunting, but I'd go on the safe side and observe it for taget shooting too
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:06:36 PM EDT
You need to check with the town where the property is, many towns in NY have laws prohibiting discharge of firearms within town limits.
Top Top