Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 8:03:52 AM EDT
I've been giving this some thought for a while. I live in one of the counties that only issues restricted pistol licenses, so I am only allowed to carry to and from the range. I may only go to the range once a month or so, and as a result, when I carry in public, I feel a bit out of place, even though I practice a lot at home and feel I do a good job of concealing my pistol. I know I only feel this way because I carry infrequently due to my license restrictions.

I know, I know... "go to the range more!" I'd love to, but I don't always have the time. So I was thinking about buying a red gun or blue gun so that I could practice carrying in public, using my carry holster, without actually carrying a firearm and taking the chance of being caught carrying outside my restrictions.

ASP red gun

Blueguns

What do you guys think about this? Would I be "in the right" practicing this way, since I'd only be carrying a chunk of plastic? Or is this a bad idea, for some reason I am not seeing? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Firstly...  when are you carrying "in public" if you're only going to and from the range?

If you're "caught" practicing, you may very well end up with a menacing charge anyway. It being gun related, all be it in a strange way, won't really help your chances of  keeping your license.  In fact, you might end up with more problems that way than if you were legally carrying. Assuming you're really legal at the time and run into a problem (get made by a cop say), you're still  legal, just not very good at it.   The other way what's your excuse? Perception wise I mean.

Explanation:

Situation #1
You're on your way to the range and have to stop for gas. A cop is there and notices you're carrying. He stops you, questions you, checks your paperwork. Tells you do do a better job with concealment and sends you on your way.

Situation #2
You're at the local Quickie mart for a cup of coffee. Cop sees you seem to have a gun. Stops you and you say.. "Look it's not a real gun." You're going to have lots of explaining to do. Even if you haven't broken the law you'll have explaining to do. Even if he buys your  whole "I'm practicing" story (which is going to sound like major BS) it's going to send up some red flags.  

"If the risk is little the reward is little"
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#2]
its really easy to be "on your way to the range"   or "on your way back from the range".  nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
its really easy to be "on your way to the range"   or "on your way back from the range".  nuff said.

Just keep some targets, muffs, and a few boxes of ammo in your trunk and you are all set. If you get caught 30 miles outside of town "I was at my friends range all day officer, look in my trunk I still have the supplies."

Just don't get caught in a bar at 2am. That is a bit hard to explain.

If you ever had to shoot someone outside of your restrictions you already had more to worry about than a menacing charge or losing your permit...... your life.

The choice is easy. Just use your head about it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:36:21 AM EDT
[#4]

If you get caught 30 miles outside of town "I was at my friends range all day officer, look in my trunk I still have the supplies."

And what if he asks what range and checks it out? Don't think it doesn't happen think again. We just had some LEO come to one of the ranges I belong to asking if some guy was here. Lucky he was doing a IDPA match.
Are there any 24/7 ranges which you could join.

I am always going to the range everyday even if it is for 15min.

I am either at Freeport, Bethpage, Calverton.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:39:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Guys, remember this is the WORLD WIDE INTERNET.  It may seem petty, but breaking the law IS breaking the law.  Not to mention the possibility of having your name tracked down and your permits revoked.

As far as the original question, I'd be a bit skiddish about a fake gun.  As innocent as it all is from your perspective, to an outsider (especially a sheeple), you are now a suspicios person with a gun.  Heaven help you if you mess up at the local Walmart.  You may end up with a SWAT team and canines waiting for you to leave the store.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for the responses. As I understand it, carrying outside of your restriction is not breaking the law, as you cannot be charged with anything for doing so. You simply risk having your license suspeneded or revoked.

http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/FAQs/Firearms/Permits.cfm
Q - What section of the Penal Law authorizes the placing of restrictions on pistol permits by the issuing authority?
The Penal Law does not specifically authorize the placing of restrictions on pistol permits. However, court decisions have consistently supported the ability of licensing officials to impose these restrictions. Such an imposition is an administrative function of the licensing officer.

Licensees in violation of these restrictions would therefore not be subject to criminal prosecution but would face action being taken by the court of issuance in the form of suspension or possible revocation of the license.

That said, I still stick to the restrictions, as I do not wish to have my license revoked. I was curious about the use of training guns, thinking they could be used for carry practice without doing any wrong. They are brightly colored, so I doubt they'd be confused with a real gun, aside fom priniting under clothing or something like that. But after giving it some more thought, I can see where problems could arise. So maybe the best answer is to go to the range more.

I visit a few local ranges. Some keep a sign in log, some keep no records.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you get caught 30 miles outside of town "I was at my friends range all day officer, look in my trunk I still have the supplies."

And what if he asks what range and checks it out? Don't think it doesn't happen think again. We just had some LEO come to one of the ranges I belong to asking if some guy was here. Lucky he was doing a IDPA match.
Are there any 24/7 ranges which you could join.

I am always going to the range everyday even if it is for 15min.

I am either at Freeport, Bethpage, Calverton.

I have never seen a rule or law in the books that says it has to be a established range, meaning it could be land, family's land, friends land, old gravel pit, NYS DEC public land, etc.... I only says target practice/hunting/hiking IIRC. If I am wrong (which I am a lot ) please correct me.

As for the public internet, I hear ya, I need to watch what I say. I don't have my permit yet so I have no fears as of now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have never seen a rule or law in the books that says it has to be a established range, meaning it could be land, family's land, friends land, old gravel pit, NYS DEC public land, etc.... I only says target practice/hunting/hiking IIRC. If I am wrong (which I am a lot ) please correct me.

In my Suffolk County Handbook it states: SPORTSMAN - (Target & Hunting) For the underlined purposes firearms  may only be transported between your residence & an authorized target shooting range, a legal hunting area in NY state & while actully afield hunting.

Now what  do they mean by AUTHORIZED? I'll ask the next time there picking up my purchase ticket for the new toy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thank you all for the responses. As I understand it, carrying outside of your restriction is not breaking the law, as you cannot be charged with anything for doing so. You simply risk having your license suspeneded or revoked.

http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/FAQs/Firearms/Permits.cfm
Q - What section of the Penal Law authorizes the placing of restrictions on pistol permits by the issuing authority?
The Penal Law does not specifically authorize the placing of restrictions on pistol permits. However, court decisions have consistently supported the ability of licensing officials to impose these restrictions. Such an imposition is an administrative function of the licensing officer.

Licensees in violation of these restrictions would therefore not be subject to criminal prosecution but would face action being taken by the court of issuance in the form of suspension or possible revocation of the license.

That said, I still stick to the restrictions, as I do not wish to have my license revoked. I was curious about the use of training guns, thinking they could be used for carry practice without doing any wrong. They are brightly colored, so I doubt they'd be confused with a real gun, aside fom priniting under clothing or something like that. But after giving it some more thought, I can see where problems could arise. So maybe the best answer is to go to the range more.

I visit a few local ranges. Some keep a sign in log, some keep no records.

That reminds me of an old dtory my Criminal Justice Professor told of a bank robber that used a purple handgun to rob banks.  No one ever got the physical description right, just that he used a purple gun.

I doubt that your average Joe knows the difference from a Red or Blue practice gun and a real gun.  All they will see is a gun.  They may first think it's a toy, but then the worst case senerio will pop into his head.

I answer at least 5 suspicious package jobs a day where it is obviously garbage, but since it's not in a garbage can...and this is in the NYC Subways.  Whoda thunk it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Sad we even have to play this game thanks to scumbag no good puss nuts MF'er activist judges.

Traitors in my book, and should suffer a traitors fate....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top