Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 9:30:37 PM EDT
Ok heres the deal. Ive been in VA for college the past 5 years and after I graduate this may I may be spending some time back at home. If I wanted to hit up a local range with pops or my friends what are the legalaities I guess you would call them of my guns. I only own 3 and all three were bought brand new from gun shops and I have the reciets for all transactions. First is a glock 23 compact with two 13 rd magazines. I assume everythings legal on this gun and fine, but would I be allowed to use my magazines in NJ or would I have to buy 10 rounders. The shotgun I think everything is strait, its a winchester 1300 with 18.5 inch barrel has a mag like clamped on the mag tube with a touch pad running to the stock foregrip, 6 shell side saddle on the reciever and a 5 shot side saddle on the buttstock. Now my EBR its a dpms lower with 4 position adjustable stock, 16 inch delton kit upper with bayonette lug, and has three 30 round magazines. The EBR correct me if Im wrong but I get 2 "evil" features right? Those being the bayonette lug and adjustable stock. So I guess the question with that is the 30 rounders can I use them at the range or do I have to buy and use 10 or 20 rounders?  Sorry for the long post but the only gun related thing I have done in NJ is get my longarms purchase permit.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The Glock and shotgun are fine (15rnd is the max). As for the EBR, you'll have to get rid of the bayo lug and get a fixed stock. The mags have to go as well, unless you permanently pin them to 15rnds. Basically, any EBR here is limited to a pistol-grip for all practical intents and purposes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:15:22 AM EDT
[#2]
You are only allowed to have one evil feature for any rifle that has a detachable mag.  Usually it is the pistol grip.  Or in the case of straight stock models, a flash hider.

All pistol and rifle magazines are limited to 15 rounds.  Don't worry about pre or post ban, LEO or date markings.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I am in kind of the same boat as the original poster. I moved back to NJ. I want to join a range yet a firearms ID is required. What happens if I don't get one? Are my firearms now illegal eventhough I got them legally in another state?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am in kind of the same boat as the original poster. I moved back to NJ. I want to join a range yet a firearms ID is required. What happens if I don't get one? Are my firearms now illegal eventhough I got them legally in another state?

Question #1:
You can't buy any long arms without a valid FID card. I believe that you can't even transport (between home and your place of business or the range) your NJ-legal weapons.

Question #2:
Where you bought them is no longer relevant. Now that they are in NJ, they must conform to NJ  gun law or your ass is grass if you get caught.  Evil features are limited to 2, so if you already have a conspicuous pistol grip on your rifle that accepts detachable magazines, you've used up your quota of evil features and you are shit-outa-luck on things like flash hiders, folding or extendable stocks and bayonet lugs. And maximum mag capacity is limited to a permanent 15.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess my brief stay in nj is just going to include lots of pistol practices. The rest are just going to be safe whores. I need the pistol practice any how
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Opps I forgot one thing. Since I already have the pistol do i need a new jersey pistol purchase liscense or anything to that affect if i just want to go shoot at a range?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Opps I forgot one thing. Since I already have the pistol do i need a new jersey pistol purchase liscense or anything to that affect if i just want to go shoot at a range?

Your pistol: As far as law enforcement goes, you're good to go as long as you transport it unloaded, cased, separate from ammo and inaccessible till you get to the range.  Seeing as you're not talking about any long arms, you don't have a legal need for a Firearms ID card to take it to and shoot it at the range. If range officials tell you otherwise, it's because of their ignorance or their bullshit rules, not NJ law.

You don't need a NJ pistol purchase permit because you already own it, you're not buying it.

If you want to take your shotgun out of the house, you will need a NJ Firearms ID card. Your local PD handles the processing of that paperwork stream.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#8]
It's always been my understanding that you only need an FID to purchase long guns and ammunition it is not for transportation of the firearms. However, it's never bad to be OVER cautious in this state. I usually carry it with me.

Your 30rd mags and your evil "assault weapon" can't even set foot in the state.
My advice is find a friend and a range in PA.

In the PRNJ, a loaded magazine is a loaded firearm. Don't transport your magazines loaded.
To be even safer, put all ammunition in a separate locked container in the furthest corner of your trunk. Police here have been known to argue that if your back seats fold down offering access to your trunk that your gun and ammo were not being transported properly and were within easy access.

Despite what you read about hollow point laws in NJ, don't believe it. Your best bet is to just leave them at home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top