Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/15/2006 8:15:08 AM EDT
The closing chapter of the movie should have the two fookers sizzling on Sing Sing's sparky.

By JORGE FITZ-GIBBON
jfitzgib@lohud.com
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: March 14, 2006)

The New York City PBA says it wants to make sure Yonkers actor Lillo Brancato Jr. doesn't clean up at the box office in a police officer's shooting death.

The 29-year-old "Bronx Tale" actor, who is charged in the Dec. 10 fatal shooting of Officer Daniel Enchautegui, would face legal action if he followed through on comments to a magazine that he would make a movie about his own life, said Policeman's Benevolent Association President Patrick Lynch.

New York state's oft-challenged "Son of Sam Law" limits the money criminals can make from their crimes upon a conviction.

But Brancato has not been convicted, and PBA spokesman Al O'Leary said the association wanted to make sure that any money would go to Enchautegui's family.

"We're just saying that you shouldn't be be able to profit from the death of a police officer when you're accused of killing him," O'Leary said. "The PBA will be vigilant in making sure that nobody profits from the death of a police officer. If he does make some money, the PBA will seek to get that money for the family of the deceased officer."

Brancato's attorney, Mel Sachs, could not be reached.

The statements came after Brancato and Steven Armento, 48, the father of Brancato's ex-girlfriend and the accused gunman in the shooting, made an appearance in Bronx Supreme Court. Justice Stephen Barrett denied a request by Armento's lawyer, William Flack, that both defendants be ordered not to speak to the press.

It's too late for Brancato anyway. Last month he gave a jailhouse interview to New York magazine, which quoted him as saying that he hoped to do a movie about his life, among other comments that irked the PBA.

"In a way, I'm glad I went through this stuff," Brancato told the magazine, "because I can capture it on film and would know how to do it."

The actor is charged with second-degree murder and Armento with first-degree murder. Police said the two men were on a drug binge when they decided to break into a friend's home to steal more. Enchautegui, who lived next door, confronted the two men.

Although mortally wounded, the officer fired off several rounds, hitting Brancato twice and Armento six times. Brancato faces a maximum prison term of 25 years to life if convicted.

Brancato was discovered by talent scouts while swimming at Jones Beach and was recruited to star with Robert De Niro in the 1993 movie "A Bronx Tale," in which he played De Niro's son. Brancato became a De Niro protégé and went on to a series of acting roles in movies and TV programs, including several episodes of "The Sopranos."
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:12:59 AM EDT
I hope the guy gets his winky cut off with a dull rusty spoon!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:49:53 AM EDT
He has an extremely distorted sense of reality. I acknowledge that he was not the shooter, but he should do at least 15yrs before any consideration of sunlight.

/ml/Drew
Top Top