Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 6:57:24 AM EDT
I've been thinking about applying for a NYS PP for quite some time now. I hunt alot and thought it would be a change to hunt with a handgun,maybe a T/C in .35 rem or something along those lines. About 10-15 years ago I did something dumb. I was in a bar drowning my sorrows about a girl I had been dating for awhile.Long story short,I got annoyed went outside and punched the window out of a car( I know,stupid,stupid,STUPID!!! I am very sorry I did this!) Owner came out,I was arrested. Charged 3rd deg. Misdemeanor. Paid for new window in car, charges ACOD, probation for 6 months. Never saw a probation officer or anything like that just was told to keep out of trouble. I never was in trouble before or after that other than traffic infractions. Don't drink like an idiot anymore either. How bad will this affect my chances. Anyone with any experience with something like this. I just was wondering if it was worth the time and effort to go through the process. I live in Suffolk County and we all know what that is like.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#1]
It shouldn't be a problem as the charges were dismissed. If you don't have it already you need to get a certified copy of the disposition from the court where the case was adjudicated. Call the SCPD pistol license division and they will tell you the exact procedure to follow.

Your attorney should have requested that the judge order the FBI records be returned to the submitting LEA and the file(s) sealed.

You should also send away for your FBI and NYS DCJS criminal history records to make sure they reflect the correct disposition. Do this before you file your PP application in case the records need to be corrected.

FBI Identification Record Request

NYS DCJS Criminal History Record Request
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I was afraid that thread would start another SS.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info! rkbar15, If my attorney didn't request that the judge order the FBI records be returned to the submitting LEA and the file(s) sealed, how would I go about this? I assume that I would aquire another attorney and go before the court? I was thinking of aquiring an NRA friendly attorney(I'm a lifer!) to assist me in this matter.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is a link to the suffolk county forms and requirements:
www.co.suffolk.ny.us/webtemp3.cfm?dept=12&id=1752
Based on the info on that site, it looks like they might deny you because your offense was an act of aggression. Just guessing though. I too would love to get a pistol permit but it's not worth going through that hassle, just to have the privilege of being able to possess a pistol in my home or range, IMO.  What a PITA! I'll stick to my 12 guage for zombie home invasions.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the info! rkbar15, If my attorney didn't request that the judge order the FBI records be returned to the submitting LEA and the file(s) sealed, how would I go about this? I assume that I would aquire another attorney and go before the court? I was thinking of aquiring an NRA friendly attorney(I'm a lifer!) to assist me in this matter.

Yes, it's a good always a good idea to consult an attorney before you do anything on your own for advice  and it's easier to have him/her handle all the paperwork BS.

When you request a certified copy of the disposition from the court they will be able to tell you if there is a sealing order in effect. When you request a copy of your FBI records and they tell you they never heard of you there is nothing more you need to do with them. You also need to verify that your DCJS rap sheet accurately reflects the charge and disposition and get that updated if it is incorrect.  

It won't make any difference if the case isn't sealed with the pistol license because you're going to disclose the arrest/disposition on the application. I assume you were just charged with criminal mischief and the charge was actually dismissed. If the records weren't sealed you should discuss that with an attorney as it could come back to haunt you in other ways. You may not be able to do anything about that now though.

Once you get everything back from the court, FBI and DCJS you can contact an attorney if you need to follow-up on anything. The more leg work you do yourself the less it will cost you if you do need to do anything else. I really doubt that will be necessary though.

Try and let us know what the eventual outcome is as it will be helpful to other NY members.

Just keep in mind this is all message board BS and not any kind of legal advice.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I too would love to get a pistol permit but it's not worth going through that hassle, just to have the privilege of being able to possess a pistol in my home or range, IMO.  What a PITA! I'll stick to my 12 guage for zombie home invasions.

You should get your pistol permit. It's not that big a deal and as long as you're not in Nassau or NYC the initial cost is approx. $125. You also get to bypass the NICS check for both hand and long guns.

Don't forget you can also get a FL, CT, and NH CCW so your good to go in about 28 states.

ETA: And the main reason to get a license is to piss off the Brady Bunch every anti-gun organization in NY.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Don't forget you can also get a FL, CT, and NH CCW so your good to go in about 28 states.  

Now you've got my attention! The NICS check isn't a big deal to me because I never get flagged but what do you mean I can also get a CCW in FL, CT and NH? 28 states? If you already have a NYS pistol license, you can qualify for a CCW in those 3 states which is valid in 28 other states? What are the 28 states? If this is true, it is very tempting to me because I frequently travel to CT. Please explain. Thanks!

ETA: I assume Vermont and Alaska are included in those 28 states since you don't need carry permits there anyway. Right?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now you've got my attention! The NICS check isn't a big deal to me because I never get flagged but what do you mean I can also get a CCW in FL, CT and NH? 28 states? If you already have a NYS pistol license, you can qualify for a CCW in those 3 states which is valid in 28 other states? What are the 28 states? If this is true, it is very tempting to me because I frequently travel to CT. Please explain. Thanks!

ETA: I assume Vermont and Alaska are included in those 28 states since you don't need carry permits there anyway. Right?

Spend a few minutes (or hours, like I did) over at packing.org

/ml/Drew
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#10]
AK and VT are not included in the numbers because you don't need any license in those states.

If NICS is down it could be a royal PIA if you have to return to the dealer (especially if you travel to an upstate dealer etc.). You can also get delayed for no reason. Some dealers will also give you a discount on transfers if they don't have to do a NICS check.

IF you have a NY license you are eligible to get a CT and NH CCW license. A NY license is good in ten states. They are: Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah

If you don't have a NY license but you want a NH CCW license then you must get a FL CCW license first.

If you have a FL CCW license but no other license you can carry in 26 states. They are: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wyoming

If you have a NY, FL, CT and NH license you can carry in 28 states in addition to NY.

Disclaimer: You should always check the latest information on packing.org for both accuracy and any state updates.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it. Through my wanderings on the internet (NRA site)I came across a service. Gentlemens name is Larry Goodson. He assist in PP apps in Westchester NYC Suffolk and Nassau. I spoke with him briefly and he said that from what I have told him,I shouldn't have a problem. He does charge a fee,however no where near what Edelmans has been charging. I had a few friends use Edlemens service and they said it was too much money for too little service. Their big selling point was the 24 hr ranges so you can technically "carry" in your vehicle all the time. I don't see the need for that,but that is just me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, thanks for all of the great info, rkbar15!  I had no idea what all of the possibilities were with a NYS pistol license. You have now convinced me to apply for my pistol license AND join the NYSRPA AND donate a hefty chunk of change for the cause! Keep up the great advocacy work!

Now I have 6 months to decide what I want to buy first.  I'm thinking about a Glock 23 or a Colt 1911 Commander and when/if I get a CT CCW, I'm definitely buying a Glock 27.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top