Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 11:35:34 PM EDT
Went into Herb Philipsons Army Navy in Herkimer looking for WOLF .223
As most of you know, WOLF is steel cased cheap practice ammo made in RUSSIA.
OK
Before I started at Remington, I worked at Herb's in sporting goods and know what to expect from the average kid they stick in that department.

I go into Herbs, ask the kid at the counter, "Do you have any Wolf .223 in stock? "

Kid- "No we don't have ANY .223 at all."

Me- "How about the other stores?, Can you check?"

Kid- "No, like I said we don't have any .223 because the military is buyng up all the .223 in the country."

Me- 'You mean to tell me that there's no .223 that I can buy anywhere?"

Kid-"Yeah like I said, the army is buying it all up."

Me-'What about civillian hollowpoint or softpoint?"

Kid-"they're buying that too."

Me- "that's kind of hard to believe, especially since expanding ammo is barred from use in war."

Kid- I don't know about that mister, I just know the army is buying it all up, especially WOLF."

Me- "You do know that WOLF comes from Russia, and it isn't NATO spec."

Kid- "I don't know what nay-toe is... but  the army is buying up all the .223."

Me- "Yeah....Uh Thanks anyway..."

Gee, I  feel much better knowing that the employees are so knowlegeable at Herbs
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:39:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Why don't you go to Gander Mountain?

I suspect military procurement may have missed them;)
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Well before you went in there, you already knew what to expect....
The really fun thing about six dollar an hour employees is: They don't have a clue about anything except when there breaks are, so it's easy to play head games with them.

My salesman at Century gives me the "...military's buying up all the ammumition...." story line, so chances are that the kids manager said something to that affect their employees. Herb Phillipsons IS a "Dealer" for Century Arms, and while it's true that someone is buying up a lot of the surplus ammo, the supply is like the tides: It rolls in 'til you're up to your ass, then goes right back out leaving everything high & dry.  

Aim is running Guatemalaian 55gr at $246.60/1,440 round case....Century (who imported it in the first palce) has it for $259.87 shipped There are some other considerations when ordering from CIA that actually nake AIM the better buy unless your order is $500 or more.

I'm always happy to make a large "buy" for my friends, trick is getting it distributed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I am indeed blessed with such knolegeable friends as SP10 and FP1201...if it wasn't for SP10 and the Penguin...I'd still have ammo!!!! Damn you guys...
Glenn, you ought to come down and burn up some of your ammo with us.
I gave Marc your wrench thinking he would see you brfore I did.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
You should have asked him for some 5.56mm and see what he said.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, um, they should open their eyes a bit...

Gander Mtn always has a shitload of .223 in stock when I go there.  They have 200-rnd big box UMC 40-grain HP's for $50-60.  Kinda expensive considering they come cheaper over the www, but not bad if you're in a rush to load up for a range day.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Is that the Army Navy store off of the 5?  I've got some land around those parts and I think I've been there.  Pretty nice place...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am indeed blessed with such knolegeable friends as SP10 and FP1201...if it wasn't for SP10 and the Penguin...I'd still have ammo!!!! Damn you guys...

I'd really love to come down and burn some ammo, but work, scouts, church,... keeps me going all the time! (work especailly the overtime, but the $$$ is worth it)
I had forgotten anout the wrench, if I'm really in a pinch I can use the ones in our shop. (DOL/weapons maintence)
No promisis, but it would be nice to bring the camper-van to the next shoot in Otisco...
Any plans for GATM this year?
Maby a Friday tour of Remington and a chance to look over the WIPS??  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd really love to come down and burn some ammo, but work, scouts, church,... keeps me going all the time! (work especailly the overtime, but the $$$ is worth it)
I had forgotten anout the wrench, if I'm really in a pinch I can use the ones in our shop. (DOL/weapons maintence)
No promisis, but it would be nice to bring the camper-van to the next shoot in Otisco...
Any plans for GATM this year?
Maby a Friday tour of Remington and a chance to look over the WIPS??  

I know that I can pick up ammo at Gander anytime, I just was entertined by this little twerps bullshit.
Like I said , I worked before at Herbs, I know they have a buyer that doesn't have a clue what he should keep in stock.

Yes GATM will go on... I'm thinking of july or august this year since Goodorbit's little one was born in early June and he's missed out.
As for a plant tour, we can do that anytime during the summer, they hire some cute college girls to give the tour.

I'll probably pick up some more 5.56 and 7.62x39 at the Rochester show.

Glenn, I'm looking for  a Imbel or Century reciever...have a kit here and the burning desire to bring it back to life again.  
I score yet another original FN!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#9]
This is ironic: We went to Phillipsons in Watertown this afternoon, not only did they have Wolf .223...it was on sale for $2.99 a box!  SS109 was $149. for a 720 round can, not to mention the regular stuff.
Did you notice that Phillipsons in Herkimer is having an in-store expo  April 22nd?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Not a bad price for Wolf.

I was at Gander Mtn. Saturday and picked up the UMC big box.  They're 45 grain JHP's for $61.00 after tax.  Wolf  was $2.79 per box.  I picked up a box to see how it functions in my HK, but I'm kinda leery of running cheap steel cased ammo through an expensive rifle.  I know, I know.  It's soft steel and some people swear by it.  Don't flame me...

That's funny about the kid not knowing about the ammo.  I think if you work in a firearms department, you should know about firearms.  I was in Wal Mart and asked the guy in sporting goods whether Wal Mart carried snap caps in .223, I figured they didn't.  He had no idea what those were, didn't even know what "2-2-3" was.  I just walked away, he works in Wal Mart afterall.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is ironic: We went to Phillipsons in Watertown this afternoon, not only did they have Wolf .223...it was on sale for $2.99 a box!  SS109 was $149. for a 720 round can, not to mention the regular stuff.

Last time I was there, the guys at the Phillipsons in Watertown were fairly knowledgeable about their weapons, particularly the Century Arms Mosins and C&R stuff. Even their sporting stuff was pretty decent. I've seen Tikkas and CZ's in their small rack of weapons. Couple that with ammo cans of surplus 7.62x51 and a good stock of Wolf,and they're leagues better than most "real" gunshops in my neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:23:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last time I was there, the guys at the Phillipsons in Watertown were fairly knowledgeable about their weapons, particularly the Century Arms Mosins and C&R stuff. Even their sporting stuff was pretty decent. I've seen Tikkas and CZ's in their small rack of weapons. Couple that with ammo cans of surplus 7.62x51 and a good stock of Wolf,and they're leagues better than most "real" gunshops in my neck of the woods.

Phillipsons also has Bushmaster AR's and I think they also has Armalite's in stock!
Dick's and Gander Mtn: They won't even talk about 'em.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:54:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Herbs in New Hartford has a couple SKS & 2 or 3 black rifles. But it is twice the store Herk. or Rome is. Rome always has good deals on ammo cans. -Justin
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#14]
A couple of the guys in New Hartford are pretty knowledgable also, at least the ones that I generally end up conversing with, also very helpful! Not a bad selection of stuff for a chain either.....Sean.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#15]

I'll probably pick up some more 5.56 and 7.62x39 at the Rochester show.

Wade, don't forget the Syracuse show in a few weeks. Any of you guys going? I'll probably go Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Steve, you ought to come by the range this Saturday, we have the knife defense course going. I'll be back out on the 1st and 2nd  of next month for the Rochester show.

I'll be either staying  in Syracuse with the REDHEAD or with friends out there.

Did the deal on the ARMS SIR M4A3 upper (will be at the range waiting for me) and  the Aimpoint M2 Comp has landed, so I have toys to play with Saturday!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Wade, don't forget the Syracuse show in a few weeks. Any of you guys going? I'll probably go Sunday.

We always go Saturday AM...and then usually have an ARFcom lunch.

Wade, behave yourself. You won't have enough energy left to shoot on Sunday
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Wade, that's cool. Can't wait to see that upper. STILL haven't put a sigle round through my 6920 upper. My ML2 and LaRue mount should be here next week sometime. My Eotech sold in about an hour. Gotta love the EE.
Marc, mybe I'll see if my buddy will go to the show Saturday so we can hook up with you guys. I'd like that alot.
Today is the 2nd consecutive sick day off work. I'm really down for the count, so I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself tomorrow. And I'd probably just get everyone sick...  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Kid- "I don't know what nay-toe is

You realze this really is the scariest part of the WHOLE exchange?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top