Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 11:13:20 AM EDT
Sanity check:

With NYS Carry Permit, can I travel through a NYC airport with handgun and AR15 without ending up in jail?

Have a training class coming up and would like to travel non-stop if possible.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Since the feds have seemed to be unwilling to enforce the 1986 FOPA law with NY for the past 20 years or so, I'd recommend you don't.  I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
When i lived in NYC you CAN NOT carry anywhere but to and from the range with a target permit
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as you have a NYS Pistol License and follow the TSA and airline regulations you should not have any problems.

HiramRanger has flown out of NYC airports and can explain the procedure for declaring your handgun and ammunition at the airport.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
...but do show up for your flight V E R Y early...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]
NY-EMT, please let us know how your trip works out.  Be sure your firearms are in *locked* *hard sided* cases, even if within your suitcase.

Also, bear in mind you can ship the firearms to your destination care of yourself and avoid the airline hassle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I've gone through Newark with AR's before, just not with any pistols before. I just wanted to verify that a NYS permit would exempt me from NYC-specific hassles.

Going 1st week of April, will advise how it turns out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I would read this entire article first. He addresses people getting arested for traveling in and out of JFK

www.queensdefense.com/guns.htm
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:37:24 AM EDT
[#8]
JB, NY-EMT is a NY resident with a NYS pistol license. The NY airport arrests in NYC, Albany and Syracuse were all non-residents  of NY and obviously did not have a NYS PL.

Where is HiramRanger? He has posted several times about flying out of NYC airports.

Reminder: Don't fly with your handgun out of a NY airport unless you have a permit  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I've flown out of JFK, LGA and EWR on multiple occasions - at least 20 times in the past 2 yrs.. None of those occassions were terribly noteworthy.  Maybe 3-4 times the ticket clerk thought I was a LE and wanted to give me the big form where I could carry the gun on my person on the plane.

No one has ever called a cop over to check my permit or anything else.

'Drew
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks RKBAR15, you are correct.

My only concern was getting hit with a New York City charge, not state. Apparently the stink is at the state level and would apply at Newburgh, White Plains, or Islip as easily as the NYC airports.

Between the pistol laws and the AWB's this sure become a PITA.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Both NYS and NYC law(s) provide for the transportation of both licensed handguns and long guns (including SAW's) through NYC.

It would really be unconscionable for a NYPD or PAPD PO to arrest a NY licensed pistol owner at an airport who is trying to comply with FAA/TSA/Airline regulations. This is not to say that it has not happened in the past or cannot happen in the future. If you are a gun owner you should always have a 24 hour emergency number for a criminal attorney with you at all times.

I would print out a copy of the applicable NYS/NYC/Federal laws and TSA regulations. I would also travel with a copy of the following letter:

www.nysrpa.org/FOPA-DOJltrTSA.pdf

www.nysrpa.org/airportwarning.htm
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Both NYS and NYC law(s) provide for the transportation of both licensed handguns and long guns (including SAW's) through NYC.

It would really be unconscionable for a NYPD or PAPD PO to arrest a NY licensed pistol owner at an airport who is trying to comply with FAA/TSA/Airline regulations. This is not to say that it has not happened in the past or cannot happen in the future. If you are a gun owner you should always have a 24 hour emergency number for a criminal attorney with you at all times.

I would print out a copy of the applicable NYS/NYC/Federal laws and TSA regulations. I would also travel with a copy of the following letter:

www.nysrpa.org/FOPA-DOJltrTSA.pdf

www.nysrpa.org/airportwarning.htm

Query whether a trip to the airport is "continuous and uninterrupted."

400.00.6.(b) . . . the firearms covered by such license are being transported by the
licensee in a locked container and the trip through the city of New York is continuous  and  uninterrupted;

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes I'm aware of the continuous and uninterrupted language in the law. Stops out of necessity for fuel, repairs etc. would not be unlawful. As is usual for NY and NYC the law is poorly written.

In any case NYC and NYS should comply with USC 926A and put an end to this interstate travel and airport nonsense.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#15]
H-R thanks for the update. We really need the NRA and the NYSRPA to get more involved in the NY/NYC airport and USC 926A issues.

Maybe you can get Tom King to comment on the issue.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#16]
You should have no problems just declare them and have them in the proper case with NO ammo in same case or Firearms loaded. Some times the only problem is if you have to wait for a LEO to come and check your permit and guns along with the TSA.

Get there early and have it all handled. You can also carry up to 20lbs of ammo in your luggage. Or it might only be 11.5 lbs now I forget.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:12:33 AM EDT
[#17]
11lbs for me last week...I only had 2 boxes of 9mm
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:33:13 AM EDT
[#18]
The FAA/TSA regulations specify the minimum requirements the airline must conform to. Every airline has their own transport policies which must be followed. You should check the airlines web site and call for specific info.

American Airlines

Delta Airlines

United Airlines

TSA
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:41:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I've flown out of JFK and LGA with my AR and various other rifles. Bring some duct tape with you. After they make you open your locked hard case to see the rifle in front of everyone.Stupid that they do this,I had a family behind me on line and their kid asked me what I had in the case and I told him it was a fishing pole.After I protested opening the case in public and wanted to go into a private office in order not to cause a "disturbence",kid sees the rifle and says outloud.."wow..look dad..he has a machine gun!" Well you could imagine the looks of the 30-40 people in line. Anyway, some of the airlines I have flown with require to lock the case and also duct tape the case closed ocer the latches. Hope this helps. I don't have any experience with transportation of handguns through an airport,don't have a permit....YET.....
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top