Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/8/2006 7:33:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2006 7:33:50 AM EDT by Aimless]
Does anyone here know what the best way (cheapest too) of going about looking for a place to live in NY. People have mentioned craigs list to help find an apartment/studio but I was wondering if there was anything else. I've been helping my boyfriend, Tso, look for a place and any info that might help us would be greatly appreciated.

Any resources that you can think of that would help? Thanks!

- Natalie
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:13:23 PM EDT
The Village Voice is a surprisingly good place to find apartments in. Don't discount the sunday NY Times either. One of the best ways to go is to cruise the area you want to live in looking for rental signs on the buildings. Many times the newspaper add is a day or so late and the apartment is already rented.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:26:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sgt_Gold:
The Village Voice is a surprisingly good place to find apartments in.

+1 maybe the best. You can look online at the VV classifieds too.

newyork.backpage.com/rentals/classifieds/Results?adLanguage=All&category=4416
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:41:07 AM EDT
Thanks for that. I hate these brokers on here. Can you believe 15% of annual rent. That's what some of them have been telling us.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:27:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tso-s_Chick:
Thanks for that. I hate these brokers on here. Can you believe 15% of annual rent. That's what some of them have been telling us.

Those guys are scum. I'd like to beat some of them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:33:00 AM EDT
I had to use one to get my apartment when I lived in Forest Hills. I needed a place fast and didn't have the time to look on my own. I told them flat out one months rent or no deal. I ended up living there for over nine years so it wasn't a bad investment. I would NEVER pay up front, cash on delivery.

Originally Posted By Tso-s_Chick:

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:05:35 AM EDT
1-2 months rent is the standard broker's fee in Manhattan. Even if you scan the NYT, Craig's List, or the VV, you may end up calling a listing from a broker. Your best bet to avoid the fee is to get a list of the management companies that manage several rental buildings in the city, or there used to be a book that listed all the no-fee buildings in Manhattan. I don't remember the title, but you'll be able to find it an any Borders or B&N. Someone else already suggested cruising the neighborhood you are interested in and looking for "For Rent" signs. Be prepared to prove your annual income is 48 times the monthly rent or you have assets in that range. You may also have to pay the fee for a credit check.

Not sure what your budget is, but I think the current average for a studio in a doorman building is somewhere around $2,500/month. I may be wrong - been out of the market for while.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:04:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By alray:
1-2 months rent is the standard broker's fee in Manhattan. Even if you scan the NYT, Craig's List, or the VV, you may end up calling a listing from a broker. Your best bet to avoid the fee is to get a list of the management companies that manage several rental buildings in the city, or there used to be a book that listed all the no-fee buildings in Manhattan. I don't remember the title, but you'll be able to find it an any Borders or B&N. Someone else already suggested cruising the neighborhood you are interested in and looking for "For Rent" signs. Be prepared to prove your annual income is 48 times the monthly rent or you have assets in that range. You may also have to pay the fee for a credit check.

Not sure what your budget is, but I think the current average for a studio in a doorman building is somewhere around $2,500/month. I may be wrong - been out of the market for while.

Good luck.

Yikes ... me and Tso have had some leads on things under that thankfully but its been a hassle. Yeah we've also had listings that don't mention brokers and then we call up and they are brokers. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:23:18 PM EDT
Go to Jersey City via PATH train. Get off the train at the Grove street station. Walk 4 blocks along Christopher Columbus westward ( away from Manhattan ) to 'Dixon Mills', an old factory turned into apartments.

Click this, click "availability" at the top of the page:
www.dixonmillsapts.com/

Studio aroun $1200, 1BR $14-1800, 2BR $1700-$2400 for a huge loft space.

Friend just moved there. I have no financial connection with the apartment building whatsoever.
Top Top