Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 3:01:55 PM EDT
Long story short...my father has Hep-C and will be starting a new medication in two months.  The doctor told my mother to get all the guns out of the house when he starts the new meds.  If I tell them this when I apply for the permit, will they be able to hurry the process along?  I live in Chenango county.  I really can not wait six months for them to get around to it.  

If there is no way to get the permit any faster, will it be ok for my mother(who has her permit) to bring them to my house and leave them in my safe?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt the judge will speed things up. Nor will you be allowed to possess the handguns without a permit. You have the option of having an  FFL , another permit holder who has them on their permit, or an LEO agency hold them til your permit is approved.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not just get them a safe, lock the guns in it and don't give them the combination. I would not get any third parties involved in this if at all possible.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why not just get them a safe, lock the guns in it and don't give them the combination. I would not get any third parties involved in this if at all possible.

That is what I told my mother to do, but I thought I would at least ask if it was possible to get my permit faster.  She wanted them out of the house.  You know that whole "out of sight out of mind thing."  He is VERY protective of his firearms and I know he would feel better knowing that I was taking care of them rather then them sitting in a safe and him not being about to touch them.   He needs as little stress in his life as possible or he will go down hill fast and my mother and I felt this would be the best thing to do.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
the last thing i would do is tell them that  your father is medically (or whatever) unfit to have guns.   You wont have to worry about what to do with the guns,  the state police may show up and take them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the last thing i would do is tell them that  your father is medically (or whatever) unfit to have guns.   You wont have to worry about what to do with the guns,  the state police may show up and take them.

So I guess it would be a bad idea say anything to them when I apply if they will just take them anyway.   I guess I will just have to hide a safe in their basement for a while.

Thanks for all the responses
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:26:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So I guess it would be a bad idea say anything to them when I apply if they will just take them anyway.   I guess I will just have to hide a safe in their basement for a while.

Thanks for all the responses

In my opinion you would be giving your county reason to deny YOU a permit. It sounds far fetched, but the reality is the laws and system is already structured and biased as a deterrent to handgun ownership. Don't give them additional fuel. Has been suggested, get a safe, have mom put the guns in the safe and lock it, keep the combo. When you get you permit get the guns transferred to your permit.

Sorry about your dad,

/ml/Drew
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
pgfd195, see if your county will let you cross register the handguns on your license when you submit your application. When your license is approved you'll be all set and both your parents and yourself can legally possess the guns at either residence. Some counties will let you do this while others will not.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
pgfd195, see if your county will let you cross register the handguns on your license when you submit your application. When your license is approved you'll be all set and both your parents and yourself can legally possess the guns at either residence. Some counties will let you do this while others will not.

He is going to sign them all over to me when I do get the permit anyway.  Right now he knows he is too weak to use them, due to another medical problem he developed,  therefore he wants to hand them down to me.  The problem is when he starts the meds, he will not know any better and try to use them.  I will just apply without saying anything and have my mother lock them up until then.  

Thanks guys for all your help.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#9]
He can't just sign them over to you. That's why I suggested that you list them on your application when you submit it if your county will let you do this. If you wait until your application is approved you'll have to get purchase orders and and register them on your license which will take additional time and extra trips to the county pistol permit office.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]
What meds will he be taking? The shot/pill combo 48 week. I heard some places are just doing the shots now.
Very best to him! That program can be a bitch. I fared pretty well, compared to others. Four years clean
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What meds will he be taking? The shot/pill combo 48 week. I heard some places are just doing the shots now.
Very best to him! That program can be a bitch. I fair pretty well, compared to others. Four years clean

I am not sure what he is starting next.  He has done 2 or 3 different types already with no luck.  They start to suppress it, but the time runs out and they have stop the meds and the viral count shoots back up higher than before.  If I remember correctly, this next one is sort of a combo of three different typs.  It is the last hope meds.

Congrats on being four years clean.  

rkbar15,  I didn't know he couldn't just transfer them.  I'll give them a call on monday, thanks.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#12]
In NY private transfers of handguns between  licensed pistol holders is legal. You need to keep in mind that all handguns in your possession must be registered on your pistol license. If you give or sell a pistol to another licensee the person acquiring the handgun must amend his license by adding the gun to his permit and obtain a purchase order from the county licensing authority. You must give the purchase order to the person you are buying the gun from and then take possession of it. The person who gave or sold you the handgun must then amend his license and remove the gun from his license. The exact procedure and the required documentation varies from county to county.

Don't mention any illness or anything. You just want to find out if you can cross-register your fathers' handguns on your license so both of you have access to them.  If your father at a later time decides to turn his license in you will already be all set on your end.

NY is teh suck for handguns.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
In NY private transfers of handguns between  licensed pistol holders is legal. You need to keep in mind that all handguns in your possession must be registered on your pistol license. If you give or sell a pistol to another licensee the person acquiring the handgun must amend his license by adding the gun to his permit and obtain a purchase order from the county licensing authority. You must give the purchase order to the person you are buying the gun from and then take possession of it. The person who gave or sold you the handgun must then amend his license and remove the gun from his license. The exact procedure and the required documentation varies from county to county.

Don't mention any illness or anything. You just want to find out if you can cross-register your fathers' handguns on your license so both of you have access to them.  If your father at a later time decides to turn his license in you will already be all set on your end.

NY is teh suck for handguns.

Thank you rkbar,  You are always a great help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top