Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 9:56:57 AM EDT
Hi all,

I am a Suffolk County resident with a sportsmans license. The SC handbook lists trips to the range and hunting as acceptable reasons to carry, but it makes no mention of camping or hiking. Is it acceptable to carry with a sportsman license while camping or hiking, provided the grounds you are camping or hiking on do no prohibit it? I was reading JAGairbornes thread further down, and it prompted me to ask this.

Also, I have family in several areas of upstate NY. When I go to visit them, I usually pack a handgun, unloaded in a locked container, stored in the back of my vehicle. The ammunition is stored in a seperate locked container, also in the back of my vehicle. On most occasions, I do this just to have it, not to use it at my destination. Is this acceptable?

Thanks!

P400
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#1]
SC is another county that makes up its own rules and types of licenses that have no meaning in the PL. If the SCPD has restricted your "carry concealed license" to "hunting and target" any other use could subject you to having it revoked. Call the licensing division and ask them about adding "camping, fishing and hiking" to it.

You can transport your handgun for any lawful reason in the manner you stated while traveling. Just bring some targets and your hearing protection with you if you are concerned about it. Your license is not a restricted premises license.  Of course anything you do is at your own risk!

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The main problem in western SC is that the Suffolk County Police Department acts the licensing officer and not a Judge as is the case outside of NYC and NC. SC and NC both had the PL amended to eliminate the judge as your licensing officer. You still have the option of pursuing an Article 78 though. NYC, SC and NC are the three worst areas of the state as far as pistol licenses are concerned.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
like just having your pistol with you for protection (God Forbid!)

You are expected to call 911 and wait for the PD to eventually show up, file a report and call the medical examiner to haul your carcass to the county morgue. Gotta luv NY.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
like just having your pistol with you for protection (God Forbid!)

You are expected to call 911 and wait for the PD to eventually show up, file a report and call the medical examiner to haul your carcass to the county morgue. Gotta luv NY.

And exactly in that order, lol.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
And if you reside in NC your estate will likely get a bill from the county for carcass removal!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe, but the 7th precinct would probably drag me over the county line to Amityville, unless overtime was required  !!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses. I understand that SC makes up its own rules. I hope to move upstate in the future, employment permiting, and preferably to one of the greener counties on the packing.org map. I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing while traveling, but the targets, hearing protection, and pictures are excellent suggestions!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#9]
well if you were travelling upstate and didn't commit any crime, you'd get a "have a fun day" as there are no legal limitations on a carry license as far as the PL is concerned.

SoS
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing while traveling, but the targets, hearing protection, and pictures are excellent suggestions!

You're also mixing up transporting a handgun with carrying it concealed on your person. You can transport your handgun anywhere you want including to another state for any lawful purpose.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
well if you were travelling upstate and didn't commit any crime, you'd get a "have a fun day" as there are no legal limitations on a carry license as far as the PL is concerned.

SoS

I got a "Ok...  lock it in your hard rifle case, and lock it in your trunk, and we won't arrest you."
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SoS

I got a "Ok...  lock it in your hard rifle case, and lock it in your trunk, and we won't arrest you."

Who told you that nonsense? Arrest you for what?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#13]
The nice state troopers who had their guns pointed at me.

(Ok, not at me. But drawn and behind cover getting ready to point them at me. )

It was their view that: According to what my license said, I was not in accordance with the classification.  I was not going DIRECTLY to or from a range, or hunting in the field. (it was the middle of the night, I was driving to camp to go hunting in the morning)

Yes... perhaps I would have been released later, and not charged. Or dismissed at arraignment. Or acquitted. Or won on appeal. Each one worse than the last. All MUCH worse than putting it in my trunk and going on my way.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#14]
1. How did they know you were carrying a concealed handgun? If they observed it exposed on your person you could have been arrested for menacing. If for some reason you volunteered that you were carrying while seated in the car that was a mistake on your part.  

2. Unless you were actually in violation of the PL for an unlicensed handgun or menacing etc. there was nothing they could charge you with. They could have informed your licensing officer of their encounter but that's about all they could legally do.

There are hundreds of independent law enforcement agencies and more then a hundred thousand police officer's in NYS. You always run the risk of running into one who is going to be misinformed about a specific law or just an all around prick.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#15]
It was a BS traffic stop, end of the month fishing trip. I was told I was stopped for a tail light out. Of course when I got out of the car it was magically working again.

If I recall my trunk was full of gear, guns and clothes. My bow case doesn't really fit in there anyway, and was on the back seat. He saw the bow case and asked if I had any firearms in the car. Then asked if I had any firearms on my person.  Then asked for my license. Went back to his cruiser for a bit, came back and asked me about the weapon, about my license and about the classifications.

We went on from there, and I was asked to "please step out of the car". Swell  lol

Quoted:

2. Unless you were actually in violation of the PL for an unlicensed handgun or menacing etc. there was nothing they could charge you with. They could have informed your licensing officer of their encounter but that's about all they could legally do.  

Yeah... I could have spent a night in holding waiting for them to figure this out too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#16]
The only sportsman license I am familiar with is the hunting, small game, fishing license combination.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#17]
<--- regarding almost getting arrested for a carrying a licensed handgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top