Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 12:07:13 PM EDT
I'm originally from PA, along the NY border.  Most of my family is on the PA side of the line, but my Mom now lives in NY (Elmira).

I'm planning a trip up there later this year and want to take a couple guns along to go shooting with my brother.  I know I can't bring a handgun into NY.  What about long guns, like my AR and HK91 clone?

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
If your pre-ban or post-ban rifles and mags were legal in SC while the Federal AWB was in effect prior to expiring in 09-2004 they are legal to posses in NY today. The NY AWB is a mirror of the now expired Federal AWB.

If you have +10 mags which were manufactured after 09-13-1994 they are illegal to posses in NY. If you added additional features (collapsible stock, bayo lug, flash suppressor etc.) to a postban legal rifle after the Federal AWB expired or have a "no ban" rifle leave it in SC as it is illegal to posses in NY.

It is illegal to posses a loaded rifle/shotgun in or upon a motor vehicle in NY. If you transport your rifles in compliance with USC 926A you should be OK in NY.

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that they are now doing cavity seaches when crossing the border in the Peoples Republic of New York. So wear clean underwear and wash your heinie please
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:49:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think that they are now doing cavity seaches when crossing the border in the Peoples Republic of New York. So wear clean underwear and wash your heinie please

If they're going to do that I want them to earn their pay.  I won't wipe for two weeks before the trip.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Since new No Ban mags don't have to stamp a date, nor do they have any LEO Only bs, how can they prove it's Post Ban?  hummm and not Pre Ban?  Also you were / are allowed to replace the mag bodies and springs, etc....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top