Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 8:57:17 PM EDT
As discussed in the past, we know certain counties place restrictions on Handgun Licenses, others do not.

And to sum up what I have learned here:  There really are no "restrictions" per se on CCW licenses, they are rather "Administrative" in nature.

But, I was perusing another gun board (I think it was new england something) and they were having a similar discussion about Massachusetts.  Something occured to me.

The licenses do not say "Restricted to Hunting, Target Shooting, etc."  Yes, they list Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Hiking, Target but it doesn't say "Restrictions" on it.  Could it be, then, that these are the "reasons for issuance" and not restrictions at all?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine says "limited to..........". I think the intent is pretty clear.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have the newer type laminated license or the older one?  I have a new one and it doens't say restricted to, limited to or anything like that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Westchester uses the credit card license has 'restricted to target and hunting' printed on it..

Quoted:
Do you have the newer type laminated license or the older one?  I have a new one and it doens't say restricted to, limited to or anything like that.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#4]
While I don't have any restrictions on mine (Ulster County). It has printed on it "Restrictions: NONE". If there were any I'd assume that they would be listed there and it would be pretty clear to me that I was only allowed to do those things.

Even though it may only be an administrative restriction, I believe you could lose your CCW for violating it. So even though you may not face trial or jail time or anything, it's still a pretty stiff penalty.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
This whole thing is so f'ing aggrivating to me!  I don't even want to carry my gun so much as I don't want to be told that I can't if I want to!  I HATE IT HERE.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I am in  Sullivan and have the new style plastic card
under my picture it has

NO RESTRICTIONS

printed

my Co Judge does not issuse restricted permits
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Paper; I've never seen one of the plastic ones, and didn't even know they existed. How do they enter each new pistol on the plastic? Is there some sort of smart chip in it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paper; I've never seen one of the plastic ones, and didn't even know they existed. How do they enter each new pistol on the plastic? Is there some sort of smart chip in it?

They just print another plastic card with the added pistol on it. The system has your photo. signature and thump print stored in a database with all your other info. You can only have six pistols on each license so you may end up with multiple licenses.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Whole big thing on SCOPE about it. Yahoo board join SCOPE
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Whole big thing on SCOPE about it. Yahoo board join SCOPE

Link to the thread please?

I'm already NRA and NYSRP, I guess I'll join SCOPE also.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:55:32 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife finally figured out why I was so hell bent on moving to Dutchess rather than the other counties.  Dutchess County has no restrictions (yet).  I thought I heard somewhere they started to issue the new style plastic IDs but you can opt to keep the old one.  I have been mistaken before.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My wife finally figured out why I was so hell bent on moving to Dutchess rather than the other counties.  Dutchess County has no restrictions (yet).  I thought I heard somewhere they started to issue the new style plastic IDs but you can opt to keep the old one.  I have been mistaken before.

Yes. We have the new plastic style ($5) and you can keep the paper tags. I am holding on to paper for now.

/ml
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm waiting for my slip to pick up a Sig I bought and While I was at it I switched over the the plastic card. Tired of having so many paperes to keep track of.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in Ulster. Judge Kavanaugh doesn't like restrictions for honest, law abiding citizens!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm in Ulster. Judge Kavanaugh doesn't like restrictions for honest, law abiding citizens!

Dude, WTF?  Where's the need to rub it in?  I wish I could live in Ulster but I can't.  Actually, there's a lot of places I'd like to live but I'm stuck.  How about a little moral support for guys trapped in enemy territory rather than a "nah-nah-nah-nah-nah" attitude?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I had mine transferred from Westchester when I first moved up here.  I was told I would have to reapply for a new one as my Westchester issued license would eventually expire.  I asked why they couldn't just issue me a Dutchess one, hell I've had a pistol license since 1986,  No can do.  So I had to reapply as if I never had one.

Here's the irony.  When I lived in Westchester, I had a restricted license.  Carrying for self protection was not a good reason.  Now I can go there armed whenever I want.  And I do when visiting friends and family.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Under picture on plastic card, Sportsman / Resident but it doesn't list the words Restrictions, but no way am I going to find out the exact intent either by CCWing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yes. We have the new plastic style ($5) and you can keep the paper tags. I am holding on to paper for now.
/ml

Just curious, is there some advantage to the paper license? It seems that the plastic one is better in every way that I can think of, but it seems that some folks want to hold onto the paper ones. The only thing I can think of is that the plastic one is a bit thicker.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You can only have six pistols on each license so you may end up with multiple licenses.

?

Here (Ulster) there is room for 10 on the front & 10 on the back.

Maddog -  
We're not rubbing it in just happy to have gotten one of the good guys! Hang in there, with all the weekenders moving up, we'll all be in the same boat soon enough.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:32:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
/ml

Just curious, is there some advantage to the paper license? It seems that the plastic one is better in every way that I can think of, but it seems that some folks want to hold onto the paper ones. The only thing I can think of is that the plastic one is a bit thicker.

Mike

My original permit is Westchester. I renewed my permit in Westchester back in 2004. Although I have "moved" my records, in order to get a Dutchess permit the process starts from SCRATCH.

I still have three years left on this one, I'll delay spending that $100 as long as possible.

Even with owning 20+ handguns, I only carry one or two religously, and those pieces of paper are always in the wallet.

/ml/Drew
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top