Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/26/2006 7:08:20 PM EDT
If I purchase a gun from someone out of state, he sends it to my FFL where I pick it up (private seller doesn't need to go through a FFL), I have a permit so the transfer's all legal as far as the BATF goes. The question is, I take the sellers word for it that he's the lawful owner and seller, and he's not selling some gun he found on the street - do I have to have the serial# checked out by the NYSP? Or does the receiving FFL do some sort of check to see if it has been reported stolen/lost/whatever?

Thanks - Buzz
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:43:48 PM EDT
thats a good question....

what happens if you just went to a store and bought a used pistol?
how do they know its clean?

hummmmm
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:48:08 AM EDT
I'm sure if you asked real nice the police might do a check on the serial number to see if it was reported stolen.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:48:14 AM EDT
An FFL in NYS does not have access to the NYSPIN/NCIC system to find out if a firearm is listed as stolen/lost property. I'm sure if he/she was suspicious of a particular gun the local LEA or NYSP would run the SN for him. You could also ask your local LEA to run the SN for you.

I believe when the registration documents are received by the NYSP that a NCIC stolen property check is done but I don't know that for sure.
Top Top