Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 9:31:46 AM EDT
I spent the last 4 years in the Marine Corps, 2 of which were overseas.  I've spent the last few months stationed back in the states, out west, in a location with far less strict gun laws.  I recently aquired an Armalite M15A2 carbine at a gun show.  I know that I can legally own it in my current location (Arizona), but the problem exists of moving back to Brooklyn, which will be happening in a few months when i get out.  I recently checked the New York Assault Weapon laws, and I will, to say the least, need to extremely modify my weapon in order to keep it.  I understand that only the Colt AR-15 is outlawed in the state, but does that include copies, such as Armalite or Bushmaster?  Also, the definition of "Assault weapon" is a rifle with a detachable magazine with 2 or more assault weapon features.  So... would I be good with a new upper (without the bayonet stud or flash suppressor) and a new non-telegraphing scope, or would it be ok with a new lower with an internal 10rd mag?  Or... would a gun smith be able to modify my current lower with an internal 10rd mag?  Or are the worst of my fears true in which there is no way my rifle would ever be legal in the State of New York and I would have to sell it at the next show?  And also, if there is a way of making it "street legal," what are the steps of registering (deep breath) a rifle in the city?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
SamUSMC, I'm sorry to tell you that if you are planning on living in Brooklyn, the situation is even worse because you'll be subject to New York City's extremely strict antigun laws.

You might want to check out this link:

www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=25

It will give you an outline of what you are in store for.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
my $.02 stay away, far far away..

i still can't belive i am back in this communist shit-hole.

i just couldn't stay away from he woods and mountains.

but i am afraid to breath, lest i violate some law.. i feel so suffocated..

i just can't find a decent job elsewhere, and i cant afford to buy land elsewhere either..
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Must you live in the limits of the Big Apple?
Ah well.
If you are considering continuance of your military life, there is a pretty good USMCR unit at Floyd Bennett Field, the 6th Communications Battalion.  However, they have been constantly rotating people through that certain sandpit.  Welcome home Marine, just wish it was to a friendlier place regarding your shooting interests.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Go Army and have your choice of NYS Army Guard armories to drill at upstate. We have plenty of converted Marines in area units.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:05:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess its obvious to see, the question we are all asking, DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO RESIDE IN THE BIG BULLSEYE, ERRRR, APPLE?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Go Army and have your choice of NYS Army Guard armories to drill at upstate. We have plenty of converted Marines in area units.

what area you in?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what area you in?

Ithaca.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I guess its obvious to see, the question we are all asking, DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO RESIDE IN THE BIG BULLSEYE, ERRRR, APPLE?

Good Question.

Over here in PA there's the USMCR more or less situated around the State Capital.  I forget whether it's the 24th or 25th Marines.

AND not only can you keep your EBR intact, you might be able to trade up to Full Auto if you have the cash.

No AWB here!

Proud owner of my a Full Auto Capable M16A1!

(Sorry guys.  It's something a of a duty to get bright young shooters to cross the river.

On second thought I'm not sorry at all.  I've had to "Change at Jamaica" all too often to the wrong LIRR train.)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good Question.

Over here in PA there's the USMCR more or less situated around the State Capital.  I forget whether it's the 24th or 25th Marines.

2/25 E Co

That's the one.  I knew somebody who was in it during the late 90's.  I don't know if he made it to the sandbox the second time around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top