Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 12:51:05 PM EDT
Hey Folks - I currently live in Kalifornia where I know the gun laws are somewhat bad however I have managed to collect:
3 AR-15s (STAG and LCW Lowers) with 10rd fixed mags
1 DSA FAL Clone with 10 rd fixed mag (Not Sure..)
1 SKS  (legal in NJ and NYS)
1 SA M1A loaded (lLegal in NJ, NYS?)

Pistols:
Sig P226
HK USP40

what are the laws currently like back in NJ and NY around these types of weapons, I have started digging around and found that the M1A is legal in NJ but didn't find anything about NYS.

Thanks!!
Steve
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
do yourself a favor and dont move to NY.... its not much of a step up from Kommiefornia
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
unfortunately may not have a choice, my job is moving out east and I have to decide where to live either NY or NJ..:(  The job is in Northern NJ otherwise I would hide in PA.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have to come to NJ, the laws are better here, plus lots of Arfcommers in the Northern Sector.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
NY is gonna get worse when the Dems take complete control of NYS legislature. Possibly in this years election cycle. Shelly Silver is constantly pushing new gun control laws.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I journeyed to the Picatinny Arsenal once a week 6 years ago.  Many people actually commute from the PA side of the Delaware to Manhattan.  Its a haul, but how far west in Northern NJ is your job?  If Parsippany or further west, consider PA.  It sucks here and will get worse, gun-wise.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:10:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I journeyed to the Picatinny Arsenal once a week 6 years ago.  Many people actually commute from the PA side of the Delaware to Manhattan.  Its a haul, but how far west in Northern NJ is your job?  If Parsippany or further west, consider PA.  It sucks here and will get worse, gun-wise.

+1 for PA.  Plus the cost of living is lower than in NNJ or NY.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I mean I would just love to have another taxpayer helping us out here, but you really want to check out your commute...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:29:28 AM EDT
[#8]
If concealed carry is of concern to you look at some of the northern counties in NY (ie. not Longisland, Manhatten or Westchester).   Id go to PA if possible.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you have to come to NJ, the laws are better here, plus lots of Arfcommers in the Northern Sector.

Yeah , the laws are so good here in NJ that you need a pistol permit for a BB gun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I would suggest you live in either Rockland or Orange counties in NY. If you are working in northern NJ you do not want to be on the east side of the Hudson River. Any commute that involves a bridge commute is teh suck.  Orange county is also gun friendly compared to the surrounding counties.

These are some of the advantages of living in NY vs. NJ. The downside is we are under constant attack by the anti-gun NYS Assembly who would like to enact more restrictive gun laws in NY. Of course the fact that escapes them is it will only effect law abiding citizens and not criminals.

** 1. Concealed carry pistol licenses - may or may not be restricted to target, hunting, hiking, camping etc. Concealed carry not valid in NYC.

* 2. Pre-ban AR-15 and other "AW" are legal - If it was legal under the Federal AWB it is legal today in NYS

3. Pre-ban 10+ round mags are legal

4. No FID card required

5. No restrictions on hollow-point ammunition

6. Most pistol licenses allow you to bypass the NICS check

* 7. No permit required for BB/Pellet rifles/pistols

*  Does not apply to the City of New York.

** You cannot bring your handguns into NYS until you are issued a NYS Pistol License

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would suggest you live in either Rockland or Orange counties in NY. If you are working in northern NJ you do not want to be on the east side of the Hudson River. Any commute that involves a bridge commute is teh suck.  Orange county is also gun friendly compared to the surrounding counties.

These are some of the advantages of living in NY vs. NJ. The downside is we are under constant attack by the anti-gun NYS Assembly who would like to enact more restrictive gun laws in NY. Of course the fact that escapes them is it will only effect law abiding citizens and not criminals.

** 1. Concealed carry pistol licenses - may or may not be restricted to target, hunting, hiking, camping etc. Concealed carry not valid in NYC.

* 2. Pre-ban AR-15 and other "AW" are legal - If it was legal under the Federal AWB it is legal today in NYS

3. Pre-ban 10+ round mags are legal

4. No FID card required

5. No restrictions on hollow-point ammunition
6. Most pistol licenses allow you to bypass the NICS check

* 7. No permit required for BB/Pellet rifles/pistols

*  Does not apply to the City of New York.

** You cannot bring your handguns into NYS until you are issued a NYS Pistol License

Hollow-point ammo is legal in NJ but if used in the commission of a crime it is illegal.

8. Slingshots are legal in NY but illegal in NJ

As of today NY has the better laws for gun owners but this being the liberal northeast don’t be surprised if it gets worse.

Rich V

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah , the laws are so good here in NJ that you need a pistol permit for a BB gun.

Lugerman, I'm sooooo sorry you had to go thru alot of trouble for that LIL' BB Gun
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Gents - that pretty much sums it up, I guess I will be looking @ a place in NYS just over the boarder in Orange County, commute is to Park Ridge (so straight down 17).....

I was originally from NJ but moved to California for work and getting used to the gun laws here which are bad but not that entirely bad... sounds like they are very similar to NYS.

Does NJ allow for fixed mag AR types?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:44:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks Gents - that pretty much sums it up, I guess I will be looking @ a place in NYS just over the boarder in Orange County, commute is to Park Ridge (so straight down 17).....

I was originally from NJ but moved to California for work and getting used to the gun laws here which are bad but not that entirely bad... sounds like they are very similar to NYS.

Does NJ allow for fixed mag AR types?

As of today NJ allows post ban type ARs, no bayonet lug, flash hider or tele stocks, and up to 15 round detachable mags.
Be warned we have a new governor and attorney general both of which are rabid anti gun so it may get worse in NJ.

Rich V

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#16]
If you will be working in Park Ridge, you should seriously consider Orange County. The traffic coming south down the Thruway gets bad at rush hour, but it's worth the 40 min drive. Cheaper houses (somewhat), more land, more relaxed atmosphere. You could even go as far north as New Paltz if you wanted and still have a manageable commute.

Forget about PA... the commute on 80 would kill you eastbound. Literally. You have to be on the road by 5A to beat the eastbound traffic.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:35:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

As it stands today the gun laws in NY are very different then the gun laws in CA. There is no .50 caliber ban,  AR-15 series rifle ban, magazine ban (as long as they are preban) or approved handgun list. In many counties in NY you will be issued an unrestricted concealed carry pistol license. The biggest downside in NY is the requirement that you have a NYS pistol license to possess a handgun in NY.

If you are going to move to OC this website has a lot of info that will be helpful to you.

www.ocshooters.com/Hand/indexhand.htm

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#18]
So with a fixed mag anything goes (compensator, pistol grip, adjustable-stock, etc?)

No fixed mag in NY/NJ =  post-ban (no threaded barrell, no adjustable stock)?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:29:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So with a fixed mag anything goes (compensator, pistol grip, adjustable-stock, etc?)

In NY if the semiautomatic rifle does not have the ability to accept a detachable magazine it is not subject to the feature restrictions of the NYS AWB. You still must be in compliance with the LCAFD restrictions so you are limited to a 10rd integral magazine unless it is a .22 caliber attached tubular magazine.

23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September thirteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

Quoted:
No fixed mag in NY/NJ =  post-ban (no threaded barrell, no adjustable stock)?

In NY unless it is a preban you are limited to ONE of the following features:

22. "Assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an
ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the
following characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a
flash suppressor;
(v) a grenade launcher; or

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#20]
good luck getting a PP..

i tried twice. then i fled the PRNY..

i think i am fucking nuts though because i am back...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#21]
A pistol permit was that hard to get?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:02:47 AM EDT
[#22]
In Nassau County it took me 6 months.  I am a retired LTC, USAR.  I carry a badge and creds with my current job for which I have to have had a TS for over 20 years.
My wife's friend just got a call.  She is a reference on my wife's pistol permit application.  Hers is now 8 months and counting.  "They" just want the cops and crooks to have handguns.  Don't let them beat you!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
A pistol permit was that hard to get?

whatever you do, do not accidentally check the wrong box on 1 of the 3 copies they insist on..

they will try to put you in jail..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top