Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 8:16:26 PM EDT
What do you think... suggestions are welcome

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Not according to New York State Assembly members Harvey Weisenberg, David Koon, Steve Englebright, John Lavelle, Patricia Eddington, and Amy Paulin, authors of anti- Second Amendment bills A-673A, A-2213 & -2837, A-2302, A-2466A, A-4471, and  A-9280 respectively.

Freedom in New York took a hit on January 9, 2006, when the Democrat led Assembly voted on and passed these bills. New York gun owners and law abiding citizens are once again reminded that our Constitutional rights are viewed not as rights but instead privileges that can and should be taken away.

I tired of the claims that these measures are to protect the children and police; yet statements such as “I don’t go to cop funerals” are made by Sheldon Silver.

These bills are not about gun control so much as they are about people control. That is end goal of those that write such bills. As a side note, A-2466A is a carbon copy of a bill written by the Violence Policy Center (VPC) which can be found online at www.vpc.org.

I will work hard to support those who support our Second Amendment rights and equally as hard to ensure that those who do not support them do not get re-elected this year.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#1]
These bills are not about gun control so much as they are about people control. That is end goal of those that write such bills. As a side note, A-2466A is a carbon copy of a bill written by the Violence Policy Center (VPC) which can be found online at www.vpc.org.

Corrct wording might be ... "That is THE end goal of those that write such bills."   Not flaming just trying to help ... it's always good for someone else to proof read your work :)
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#2]
You should put an "am" between I and tired, but aside from that it looks good. I sent out a few letters yesterday, and I hope that everyone who posts or reads here does the same.

Would it be a bad idea to write to the assembley members listed above, and let them know that we do not appreciate their efforts? Has anyone done so already, or would it be a waste of time?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You should put an "am" between I and tired, but aside from that it looks good. I sent out a few letters yesterday, and I hope that everyone who posts or reads here does the same.

Would it be a bad idea to write to the assembley members listed above, and let them know that we do not appreciate their efforts? Has anyone done so already, or would it be a waste of time?

we should always write the bill authors

thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What do you think... suggestions are welcome

I tired of the claims that these measures are to protect the children and police; yet statements such as “I don’t go to cop funerals” are made by John Lavelle.

Wasn't Sheldon Silver the one that said this?

Whisky19
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#5]
you may be right... I need to correct that. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Good start.  Steve Englebright is my rep here in Setauket.  The guy is so out of touch with the real world.  I have called his office a number of times and the staff there is not gun friendly at all.  You talk to them and they are basically saying to you go F yourself.  I think a lot of them are volunteers from SUNY Stony Brook.

His bill is a perfect example.  He even states that he doesn't even know the exact purpose of his own bill or how it would be implimented.  He wants to make the trigger pull weight on handguns 10lbs.  Doesn't NY already have a trigger lock law.  Also what ever happened to personal responability.

If enough people got on these guys they may get nervous but a few phone calls or emails seems to have little effect.  Just my personal view.  I wish I was wrong.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Not wanting to hijack your thread but this could be a useful info for people wanting a headstart for writing their own letters.

Here's my letter I'm working on. I may need to edit for length. The numbers in the text refer to a list of sources I'm adding to the back of the letter. Constructive criticism appreciated!

"I am writing to urge you to oppose the following proposed legislation:

• A2404, A673-A, A2213, A2302, A2466-A, A2837, A4471, A9280

Although I have the utmost respect for our nation’s law enforcement officers trying to keep our streets safe, time and time again, courts are upholding the principle that our government has no liability when failing to protect individual members of the public 1 2 3. “the fundamental principle that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen.” 4 This makes me my own first line of defense against criminal acts directed against me, my loved ones or my property.

Nevertheless, the New York legislature is doing everything in its power to erode my rights to choose any defense I deem necessary for my own protection, including the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. Take for example my home country, The Netherlands. The possession of firearms is heavily regulated; any type of firearm is illegal to possess, except for use in organized competition. Despite these tight regulations firearm related crimes have jumped 50% over the last 3 years. In that small country the size of the state of Vermont, there are an estimated 75,000 illegal firearms. Even closer to home: Washington D.C., where all handguns are banned, is in the top 10 of large cities with the highest violent crime rates 5.

The sport and hobby of shooting is in itself a very fulfilling and community building activity. Unfortunately these laws will be met with great disappointment by scores of sport shooters, young and old, who are suddenly finding that their favorite sporting gun is nominated to become an illegal “military-style weapon capable of accurate spray firing for the quick and efficient killing of humans”, which is of course nonsense.

Let’s face it; criminals will always be able to arm themselves. These laws only serve to disarm law-abiding citizens, removing their means of protection where the government offers none. 34 other states have already passed “shall issue” laws 6, and some have passed so-called “castle doctrine” 7 laws. It is time the New York legislature starts doing the same, and tipping the scales in favor of the law-abiding individual.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely...."
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:18:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a link from the NRA-ILA site on writing & communicating with your lawmakers. Good info for all who wish to write and are looking for pointers.

Communicating with your lawmakers
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I say we still have a Million Gun March on Albany and then Washington.

I see no reason why we can not get together and get off our Asses and show physical support. Letters are one thing bodies in front of a building are another. I am at the point of making a sign and standing in Albany till the news comes up and asks what is going on. Our 2A rights are being stomped on every way we turn and all we could do is write a letter.

Blood Pressure 220/140 again...I am going to stroke out before my time if this keeps up.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
hey edpmedic...

I am in. We should contact the NYSRPA. Would you be willing to take charge in something like this. I would definitly like to help set something like this up

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#11]
The Orange County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs and the New York State Conservation Council have a March on Albany event every year. The Orange County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs sponsers a bus trip to the event every year from Orange County.

www.ocfsc.org/site/lev/ANNUAL.htm

www.nyscc.com/
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#12]
The JPFO has some sample letters on their website.

www.jpfo.org/scuttlethescamstrategy.htm
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]

hey edpmedic...

I am in. We should contact the NYSRPA. Would you be willing to take charge in something like this. I would definitly like to help set something like this up

Yes I would love to if I knew it wold happen.

The Orange County Federation of Sportsman's Clubs and the New York State Conservation Council have a March on Albany event every year

Yes I know I just joined SCOPE and was directed to their site for other info.

The problem is their march does not encompass a NATION WIDE attraction.

Marching on Albany for NY people is a good idea and I will start doing it with them.

I would like to see a National movement for this problem we are all facing in every state. (SOME SOONER THEN OTHERS).
I have said before just from those of us on Gun Forums (Even-though most of us post in most of them) there is still a large amount of people that could get together. I wish I had the money and backing to advertise.
In reality to make a dream come true is to start doing it. By me talking about a MILLION GUN MARCH maybe it will come true. What would happen if we start sending e-mails to NRA and to our friends or posting MILLION GUN MARCH on WASHINGTON.

That is once a date which I would suggest Spring or Summer and maybe some how get radio and TV News and so forth starting to make it known. Then going on talk shows and making a point of what it is about. After all why should the Anti gunners be the only ones that could pull off their propaganda.

Can you see Ted Nugent as a spokesman? He does make a strong point for our rights. Then see which of our representatives really stand by us in a march or meeting on the steps of Congress.

Yes I have a dream and maybe it will come true.

If any of you remember the 1st BRC anything could be done.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top