Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/10/2006 4:45:33 PM EDT
Danger, yes, but 'urgent need' must be proved to carry a gun
Tuesday, December 20, 2005
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Bounty hunter Adel Mikhaeil is licensed to carry a handgun in 34 states - but not in New Jersey.

He was in court last week, trying to change that.

"What happens if I'm met at a door by a fugitive with a gun? I'm a dead man," said Mikhaeil, a resident of Jersey City.

Tough New Jersey gun laws require applicants to demonstrate an "urgent need" to carry a gun, and the Jersey City Police Department denied Mikhaeil's permit.

Last week, Mikhaeil appealed that decision to Hudson County Superior Court Judge Fred Theemling Jr. The case is scheduled to be continued Feb. 1.

Mikhaeil says he's arrested 600 fugitives since 2002, including 300 violent criminals currently behind bars.

"I've arrested a lot of people, and a lot of them aren't too happy about it," Mikhaeil said.

Unfortunately, being on the wrong end of a gun comes with the job as a professional bail recovery agent, Mikhaeil said. He's never been shot, though he's had some close calls, including a protective boyfriend who pointed a gun at him while he was trying to arrest a female fugitive.

He's also been stabbed in the back of the head and even had his throat slashed - by a bail bondsman.

But the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office, which is opposing Mikhaeil's application in court, doesn't want to set a precedent in which all bounty hunters can carry firearms.

"Someone's position as a bounty hunter does not in and of itself reach the threshold of permission to carry a gun," Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

www.nj.com/news/jjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-1/113507356389390.xml&coll=3

Sigh...Honestly, I feel NJ is a lost cause.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:58:12 PM EDT

Sigh...Honestly, I feel NJ is a lost cause.

It's been over for a long time already. Democrats have this state sewed up tight. Gun laws will only get worse.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:36:26 PM EDT
If this is a lost cause why not move to a free state? Fugitive recovery is good money sometimes. I'm sure he can afford living in a cheaper state. He is fighting NJ that's a good thing. But how long will he keep at it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:47:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DefMan:
If this is a lost cause why not move to a free state? Fugitive recovery is good money sometimes. I'm sure he can afford living in a cheaper state. He is fighting NJ that's a good thing. But how long will he keep at it?

till the libs bankrupt him
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:24:18 PM EDT
I would like to move to a free state as soon as possible, but that may not be for a few years at the earliest.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:28:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GoingIncognito:
I would like to move to a free state as soon as possible, but that may not be for a few years at the earliest.

That's my plan too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:48:43 AM EDT
Already looking for land in PA.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:51:31 AM EDT
He should say I guess NJ will turn into a safe haven for those jumping bail. After all what tracker would come into a State where they can't protect themselves.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:14:28 AM EDT
I bet $5 this guy wins his case and gets the permit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:06:01 AM EDT
So who wants to go in with me to set up a bail bond company? a very, very expensive bail bond company, but a legitimate one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:28:49 AM EDT
NJ is a lost cause. I will be outof here in december!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:41:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BoreSighted:
So who wants to go in with me to set up a bail bond company? a very, very expensive bail bond company, but a legitimate one.

Arfcom bailbonds?

Make sure taht there is a lot of "sick" time once we get the permits. :P
Top Top