Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 8:50:15 AM EDT
In particular, in Orange County.

I don't want to raise any flags or cause any trouble, but I want my collection to grow! I was at the store picking up my newest purchase today (S&W 686P) and I saw the next gun I want to get...a Springfield XD-9 Sub in Bi-Tone!

I was almost thinking about buying it but I didn't know if people (the pistol clerk's office, the judge, or whomever) would freak out on me for buying so many guns (I already have 3 and only had my pistol license not even 1 year).

Should I chill out a couple of months or is it okee-dokey to melt the ol' MasterCard?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:33:23 AM EDT
The judge may require you to have a safe after X number of handguns are registered on your license. There is no limit to the number of handguns you can possess and I've never heard of anyone in OC having a problem.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:57:27 AM EDT
I do have gun safes. That would be no problem. I am quite responsible in that regard. I would never leave a gun accessable to anyone but myself!

I am more or less talking about the rapid consecutive purchasing, like what if I wanted to buy 3 handguns in a month? Is that a no-no?

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:09:21 AM EDT
whenever i pick up pistol permits(allowed 3 at a time) i always apply for 3 more.This way i always have permits incase i see something.never had anyone at police station ask questions.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:29:33 AM EDT
I've not heard of any problems with transferring any number of guns in a month or any other time period. If you transfer two or more handguns in a five day period your FFL will report the transfer to the ATF.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:50:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rkbar15:
If you transfer two or more handguns in a five day period your FFL will report the transfer to the ATF.

Now that's interesting. What do you think they do with the information, put you on a watchlist or something?

On second thought, that's a stupid rule... what if you were trading guns with someone? One would transfer off your license, and the other would transfer on. Or do you mean transferring 2 or more handguns onto your license?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:12:50 AM EDT
It's called a Multiple Firearms Sales Report (or something like that) and is an attempt to identify gun traffickers that buy 20 lorcins at a time and fence them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:33:43 PM EDT
Multiple purches are reported on a an additional form. No special form If you purchase from diff sources.

All HG purchases are reported to the NYS Police.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:40:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By valkyrie0002:

All HG purchases are reported to the NYS Police.

Is that who the guy that sold me the gun was calling the info in to? I found that phone call strange because I thought having the pistol license allows them to skip the NICS Check? I don't remember such a call the other 2 times I got a handgun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:08:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 2:09:53 PM EDT by rkbar15]
This is the ATF form to report multiple handgun sales. It is only used if you transfer more then one handgun in a five day period from the same FFL dealer. The form is filled out and faxed to the ATF. It is not done over the phone. If you go to more then one dealer or do a private transfer the form would not be used.

www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f33104.pdf

Is your pistol license marked "NICS Certified" or do you have a separate NICS certification? If so then your dealer should not have a run a NICS check. If its not NICS certified then the FFL must call in a NICS check prior to the transfer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:44:38 PM EDT
rkbar15,

No, the license doesn't specifically say anything like "NICS Certified" but packing.org says that NYS licenses all qualify as the NICS Check. And like I said, this didn't happen either of the other times I got a handgun, so I found it strange. It was the same type phone call, giving your height, weight, age, etc.

I don't really care, it only took a minute or so but I simply like to understand all the rules, laws, etc.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:27:31 PM EDT
Packing.org is incorrect if it says all NY permits are qualified. In order to qualify for a NICS exemption the pistol licensing division needs to certify it every five years. If your permit was issued within the last five years they should have given you a certification form.

You should call your permit office and ask them about the certification. Don't forget it also exempts you when transferring a long gun too. You never know when the NICS system will be down or you could also get delayed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:35:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rkbar15:
Packing.org is incorrect if it says all NY permits are qualified. In order to qualify for a NICS exemption the pistol licensing division needs to certify it every five years. If your permit was issued within the last five years they should have given you a certification form.

You should call your permit office and ask them about the certification. Don't forget it also exempts you when transferring a long gun too. You never know when the NICS system will be down or you could also get delayed.

As usual, RKbar is correct. Many NY counties have permits that are "good until revoked". A NICS recertification is required every 5 yrs, I believe.

/ml
Top Top