Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/4/2006 12:45:47 PM EDT
Is it possible to buy a long gun in from an individual in another state and drive back to new york with it? If I go to an FFL, are they allowed to sell to my if I am from out of state? The reason i am asking is because I will be looking to buy a new gun soon and am in desperate need of a road trip. Might as well give me a lame reason to take a trip. thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:02:46 PM EDT
No. Private transfers are only permitted between residents of the same state. You must either have it shipped back to a NY FFL or have it transferred in person by an out-of-state FFL.

The upcoming (Jan 14-15) Allentown gun show would be a good road trip or you could stay in NY and go to B&J Guns in Albany.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:27:28 PM EDT
Albany is only a 2 hour drive, I think I'll check out show in Allentown. Thanks again rkbar15
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:48:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rkbar15:
No. Private transfers are only permitted between residents of the same state. You must either have it shipped back to a NY FFL or have it transferred in person by an out-of-state FFL.

The upcoming (Jan 14-15) Allentown gun show would be a good road trip or you could stay in NY and go to B&J Guns in Albany.

I thought there was some verbage on NY'ers buying long arms with states that border NY that we don't need to transfer to a local FFL.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:01:06 AM EDT
Having a long gun transferred in person in PA by a FFL is OK. If you are a NYS resident you can only do a private (non-FFL) transfer of a gun with another NYS resident.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:39:45 PM EDT
A NJ resident with a FID can buy in NY. Davis does it in Sloatsburg.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:15:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sterling18:
I thought there was some verbage on NY'ers buying long arms with states that border NY that we don't need to transfer to a local FFL.

From the B.A.T.F.E. December 2002 FFL Newsletter:
(www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/newsletter/1202fflnewsletter.pdf)

Top Top