Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 7:26:18 PM EDT
Hi all, complete newbee here. How difficult is it to get a gun license and what's the procedure? I am in NYC
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hi all, complete newbee here. How difficult is it to get a gun license and what's the procedure? I am in NYC

It can be done , but it's expensive and takes months . Then after
you jump through all the hoops they give you a hunting/target
restricted permit , unless your job requires it , or you're rich and or
famous .

Here is the NYPD procedure

It's much easier to get a permit outside the metro area , but it's
not valid in NYC without an NYC  SPECIAL CARRY LICENSE amendment
to your state license which is slightly easier then getting a NYC permit alone .  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:09:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is the Nassau County Police Pistol Licensing Website with a downloadable application and related forms*.

www.police.co.nassau.ny.us/pistol_application.htm

*I spoke with someone at Pistol Licensing and they said you can not use the forms that they provide on their website!  

According to this person, you must pick up the forms from them at
1490 Franklin Ave
Mineola, NY 11501
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]
How do you go about getting the NYC Special Carry License amendmant to aa NYS permit?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Demosfen, a NYC residence/target permit is obtainable if you have a clean record and can prove your NYC residency.  

The process can be a bit painful, it costs $350 + $99 for the first installment, requires five trips to 1 Police Plaza and takes about six months.  You can only add 1 gun to your permit every 3 months or so but there doesn't seem to be a limit to how many total guns you can own.

There is no requirement to have a range membership and definitely no need to use any of the various services that advertise they will get you the permit for a usually hefty fee.

If you are seriously interested in getting one, IM me and let's get in touch so I can give you some pointers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Basicly you can't unless you are some sort of armed personal protection type person, or you can prove a business need such as carrying large sums of case or other valuble property. NYC makes it almost impossible to carry for any reason.

Quoted:
How do you go about getting the NYC Special Carry License amendmant to aa NYS permit?

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Basicly you can't unless you are some sort of armed personal protection type person, or you can prove a business need such as carrying large sums of case or other valuble property. NYC makes it almost impossible to carry for any reason.

Quoted:

That's correct . My state permit is business license , which made it easier
for me to get the amendment . Especially since my biz hrs are 24-7 for
emergency calls .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top