Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 7:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 7:24:15 PM EDT by ar-jedi]
in the FL CCW permit requirements...
* Application form (2 pages) which requires notarized signature
* $117 cashier's check/money order/certified check/Personal Check(new)
* Training documentation; eight different records can be accepted such as DD214, NRA/State training course, hunter safety, etc.
* Fingerprint card
* One passport sized photo

how and where, in NJ, can one satisfy the "Training documentation" item? for example, i have been "checked out" at Sunset Range (eastern PA) and they gave me a little card that shows such. is this enough? (i don't think so based on the text below.) so what's the route?

thanks
ar-jedi

FL regs

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:18:26 PM EDT
At the Allentown PA gunshow, as well as at the Phila Armory show, they have a class you can take to qualify for the Florida CCW. Im not sure when the next one is however. I have to take this as well, as I would like to get a FL CCW, as well as qualify to buy a garand from the CMP. I was also thinking about taking the hunter safety class. I picked up the booklet and DVD at Ft Dix range 14, and this will also qualify you for the CCW & CMP purchase.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:29:21 PM EDT
I know a guy in a local pd that I shoot with who is a firearms instructor and can certify, I'll give him a call to find out about putting together a class for a few people and the cost.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:06:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 7:10:06 AM EDT by GoingIncognito]
I'd be interested as well.

Edit: And do I recall correctly that a FL non-resident CCW is honored in many other states, such as PA?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:18:23 AM EDT
Answered my own question here PA Attorney General on FL CCW Permits

Also reposted here:

RECIPROCITY AGREEMENT

This Reciprocity Agreement by and between the State of Florida by and through the Florida Department of State, Division of Licensing, and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania by and through the Office of Attorney General.

WHEREAS, the purpose of this Reciprocity Agreement is to extend reciprocal concealed firearm carry permit/license privileges to the citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of Florida,

WHEREAS, the respective state offices are authorized by statute to enter into this Reciprocity Agreement,

WHEREAS, in consideration of the matters described herein, and of the mutual benefits and obligations set forth in this Reciprocity Agreement, the Parties hereby agree and covenant as follows:

The State of Florida will recognize valid Pennsylvania permits to carry concealed firearms by valid Pennsylvania permit holders while said permit holders are present in the State of Florida.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid Florida licenses to carry concealed firearms by valid Florida permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

This Reciprocity Agreement applies only to the carrying of firearms as defined and authorized by the applicable statutes of Pennsylvania by valid license/permit holders from the respective states and not to any other types of weapons.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of Florida will inform each other of any changes in their respective carrying of concealed weapons statutes that may affect the eligibility of the recognition granted by each state.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of Florida will each provide the other with copies of their current laws regarding concealed weapons and firearm carry licenses/permits.

The State of Florida will provide twenty-four hour verification of the authenticity and status of Florida licenses. Instructions regarding the method of verification of a Florida concealed handgun permit/license will be provided as soon as the method is established.

This Reciprocity Agreement is contingent upon and shall only remain effective as long as the respective statutory authority in each state authorizing the reciprocal privileges remains effective.

This Reciprocity Agreement shall become effective upon the execution of the authorized Parties' signatures.

This Agreement may be terminated by either Party or their successor upon thirty (30) days written notice.
WITNESSETH, each Party to this Reciprocity Agreement has caused it to be executed on the date indicated below.

There is no distinction made between FL Resident and FL Non-Resident, as far as I can tell. The FL CCW permit need only be valid. However, I'm not sure I'd want to test this out .
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:03:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 8:04:47 AM EDT by Walt175]
The next show they are at is at the PA Expo in Allentown on Jan 14&15.
The company's name is Personal Defense Solutions and the phone # is 215-947-7867.
As far as training, I was able to use my NJ hunter saftey course card.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:15:38 AM EDT
I took the NRA Basic Pistol course last year as a refresher, highly recommended and it should satisfy the FL requirements.

Here's a link to the NJ search:

NRA NJ Courses
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:38:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:40:25 PM EDT
Really? I'll have to call up Ready Aim Fire and find out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:48:15 PM EDT
Please post what you find out. I have all the paperwork allready, but Ive just been lazy about taking the class.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:52:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FMJunkie:
I believe they hold FL CCW classes at both Ready Aim Fire and Classic Pistol ranges here in PA. ONe-shot deal, they even take your picture I think.

FMJunkie, where would these ranges be located?

thanks for helping a trapped NJ-ite you escapee...
ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:22:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

I believe they hold FL CCW classes at both Ready Aim Fire and Classic Pistol ranges here in PA. ONe-shot deal, they even take your picture I think.

FMJunkie, where would these ranges be located?
thanks for helping a trapped NJ-ite you escapee...
ar-jedi

I'm thinking about taking the Fl CCW class that they are having in February.

READY AIM FIRE FLORIDA CCW CLASS
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:31:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DWFAN:

I'm thinking about taking the Fl CCW class that they are having in February.

READY AIM FIRE FLORIDA CCW CLASS

Sounds good. Ill check my schedule and if Im available, Ill sign up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:59:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 9:04:18 PM EDT by GoingIncognito]
Hrm, the class looks good except for I only need the class, not the fingerprints or notary (as I can have that done at work for free), and of course I can fill out my own paperwork. Ah well, what's an extra $85 for the 2nd amendment! . Saves me from dealing with the passport-size photo.

Count me in!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:07:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GoingIncognito:
Hrm, the class looks good except for I only need the class, not the fingerprints (as I can have that done at work for free). Ah well, what's an extra $85 for the 2nd amendment! .

They also take the pics and process the paperwork, if I understood them right.

Remember though, after you take the class and send in your papers, you still have to pay Florida and additional $117 or so for the license.

However, you could carry in PA and these other fine states:

VANNA SHOW THEM WHAT THEY HAVE WON

FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES
Alabama (1,5)
Alaska (1)
Arizona (6,7)
Arkansas (1)
Colorado (1)
Delaware
Georgia (1)
Idaho (1,6)
Indiana (1,6)
Kentucky
Louisiana (1)
Michigan (1,4)
Mississippi (1)
Missouri (1,8)
Montana
New Hampshire (1,4,6)
New Mexico (1)
North Carolina (1)
North Dakota (1,3,6)
Ohio (1)
Oklahoma (1)
Pennsylvania (1,6)
South Dakota (1,3)
Tennessee (1)
Texas (1,6)
Utah (1,6)
Vermont (1,2)
Virginia (1, 6)
Wyoming (1)

(1) While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealed fashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY, NOT WEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types of weapons while in these states.

(2) The State of VERMONT is unique in that it does not issue weapon/firearms licenses. Florida licensees - indeed, licensed or unlicensed citizens from any state - may carry in Vermont. This presents a problem for reciprocity with Florida. Florida law provides that an out-of-state resident must have in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm. Since Vermont residents have no such license, the right to concealed carry cannot be extended to them under Florida law.

(3) Under NORTH DAKOTA and SOUTH DAKOTA law, licensees qualify to possess a concealed weapon permit once they become 18 years of age. Florida CANNOT extend the privilege of concealed carry to citizens of these states who are under the age of 21.

(4) Florida issues concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals regardless of whether or not they are Florida residents. MICHIGAN and NEW HAMPSHIRE will honor the Florida license ONLY IF the license holder is a legal resident of Florida.

(5) The Attorney General's Office of the State of ALABAMA has indicated that Alabama will honor BOTH resident and non-resident Florida licenses. However, the Alabama Attorney General notes that there is some uncertainty as to the limits of Alabama's reciprocity law as it pertains to non-resident licenses. Pending clarification by the Alabama Legislature or a decision by an Alabama court, he urges non-resident Florida license holders to exercise caution. Refer to the Alabama AG's Web page for the latest information.

(6) These states issue concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals who are non-residents. These non-resident permits cannot be honored under Florida's reciprocity provision.

(7) Florida issues concealed carry licenses to persons whose civil rights and firearms rights have been restored and thereby made whole in the eyes of the law and the Constitution. However, ARIZONA will honor a concealed weapon license ONLY if those rights were restored by a full pardon signed by the Governor or President of the United States. ARIZONA will not honor a concealed weapon license in possession of a Florida licensee if those rights were restored by any other means than a full pardon. Therefore, a Florida licensee who has had civil and firearms rights restored but who has NOT received a pardon from the Governor or President of the United States is prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm in ARIZONA.

(8) The Missouri Attorney General has advised us that several aspects of the Missouri concealed weapons law remain in litigation as of June 2004 and that, accordingly, he is limited in what he can say about the effect of any particular provision of the law. However, he acknowledges that as of this date no injunction or other impediment blocks the effectiveness of Missouri's Concealed Carry Law, including the reciprocity provision.

ANSWERS TO COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT RECIPROCITY AND TRAVELING WITH A FIREARM

QUESTION 1. I have a Class "G" Florida Statewide Firearms License. Do the terms of the reciprocity agreement apply to me?

No. The Class "G" Statewide Firearms License is a license issued to qualified security officers and private investigators under the authority of Chapter 493, F.S. The license authorizes the license holder to carry a firearm in the course of performing job-related duties. The terms of the reciprocity agreements apply only to licenses issued to citizens under the authority of Chapter 790, F.S.

QUESTION 2. There are a number of states that issue concealed carry licenses but do not have a reciprocity agreement with Florida. Why?

The State of Florida will honor the concealed weapon/firearm permits issued by another state PROVIDED THAT the other state will agree to honor the licenses issued by Florida. The states listed above are the only ones that have agreed to honor Florida permits.

There are a number of reasons why other states refuse to honor Florida licenses. Some states will recognize another state's licenses only if that other state's gun laws are substantially similar to their own. South Carolina, for example, will not honor Florida licenses because Florida's issuance standards differ from South Carolina's standards on key points. Other states simply do not have the statutory authority to establish reciprocal agreements with other states. Oregon is among the states in this latter category.

QUESTION 3. I am a Florida resident with a Florida Concealed Weapon/Firearm License. Are there carry restrictions that I should observe while traveling in other states?

Yes, there are. First of all, you should be aware that, as noted above, you are limited in many states as to the type of weapon that you can conceal. Many states allow concealed carry of handguns or pistols only.

In addition, most states' gun laws prohibit carrying concealed weapons into such places as schools, bars, courthouses, and so on. Generally speaking, the other states' lists are all quite similar to Florida's. Florida's list of designated "NO CARRY" places is found in Section 790.06(12), Florida Statutes, the entirety of which is quoted below:

790.06(12) - No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any area vocational-technical center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s 775.082 or s. 775.083.

A licensee planning to travel to another state should consult that state's laws or call a law enforcement agency in that state to find out precisely what carry restrictions apply.

QUESTION 4. I have a Florida Concealed Weapon/Firearm License, but I am not a legal resident of Florida. Can I travel to the states that recognize Florida licenses and still carry a concealed weapon?

Most of the reciprocity states will honor Florida non-resident permits; however, two states - Michigan and New Hampshire - have indicated that they WILL NOT honor non-resident Florida licenses. Because gun laws are subject to change or different interpretation by state courts, it is recommended that non-resident Florida licensees call or write licensing authorities in the states in which they will be traveling to obtain the latest information.

QUESTION 5. I have a concealed carry permit from one of the states with which Florida has reciprocity, but I am not a resident of that state. Can I carry legally while visiting a Florida?

No. Florida, like Michigan and New Hampshire, has a residency requirement in its reciprocity law. Florida does not recognize non-resident concealed carry permits from other states.

QUESTION 6. I am planning a trip to Florida shortly. I do not have a permit from my home state nor do I want to obtain a Florida permit. However, I would still like to have a weapon with me for self-protection. What are my options?

Florida law does allow a citizen to transport a weapon in a private vehicle, even if that citizen DOES NOT HAVE a concealed weapon license. Note the following two key provisions in the law:

Section 790.25(5), which deals specifically with possession in a private conveyance states that "it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012." (Emphasis added.)

Section 790.001(17) defines the term "securely encased" to mean "in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."

So, while you cannot carry the weapon on your person, you can at least have it nearby in your vehicle while traveling.

QUESTION 7. I am a Florida license holder and will be driving through several states on an upcoming trip. Some of these states do not have reciprocity with Florida. If I plan to take my firearm with me, what precautions should I take for transporting my weapon in my automobile securely and legally?

INTERSTATE TRAVEL WITH FIREARMS FALLS UNDER THE JURISDICTION OF FEDERAL LAWS. The relevant section from United States Code is quoted in its entirety below.

Sec 18 USC 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms.
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Interstate travel with a firearm is, therefore, permissible as long as the firearm is unloaded and in such a place that it is completely inaccessible (preferably the trunk of the vehicle).

HOWEVER, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT CITIZENS PLANNING TO TRAVEL WITH A FIREARM SHOULD CALL THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OR LICENSING AUTHORITIES IN THE STATES TO OR THROUGH WHICH THEY WILL BE TRAVELING TO OBTAIN THE LATEST INFORMATION REGARDING WEAPON TRANSPORT LAWS. IN SOME CASES, STATE LAW TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER FEDERAL LAW REGARDING INTERSTATE TRANSPORT OF FIREARMS.

QUESTION 8. I am traveling by plane and would like to carry my weapon with me. Can I transport a firearm on a plane legally?

Transporting a weapon on a commercial airline is legal under the regulations of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). However, travelers must comply with certain security procedures. Generally speaking, the FAA requires that weapons be unloaded, stowed in hard-sided, locking luggage, and declared at the main ticket counter at the time of check-in. At check-in, you will receive proper documentation to place inside the gun case indicating that the weapon had been declared. Each airline's security procedures may be slightly different, so it is recommended that you call the carrier with whom you are planning to fly to get instructions.

QUESTION 9. I am a Florida license holder, and I have recently received a solicitation in the mail for an "official badge" identifying me as such a license holder. Are these badges legal? Does the Division endorse these badges?

No, the Division does not endorse these badges, but they are not illegal. There is nothing in Florida law that specifically prohibits companies from offering to sell these badges to Florida license holders, nor is there any provision that prohibits license holders from carrying such badges.

License holders should be aware that the use of official badges is prohibited in Florida Statutes in a couple of places. Section 30.46 specifies that a badge in the shape of a five-pointed star can be used by Florida sheriffs and deputy sheriffs only. Section 843.085 makes it unlawful to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority (including any badge) which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency.

Licensees should also take note that these badges do not substitute for identification or confirmation of your status as a holder of a Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License. Only the license issued by the Division will serve as a means of identifying a citizen as a license holder.

Reciprocity Legislation
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:34:59 AM EDT
im interested also
been thinking about this for ages
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:09:03 AM EDT

I only need the class, not the fingerprints

AFAIK the prints can only be taken by a law enforcement agency.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:32:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:52:41 AM EDT
Is there some kind of discount if we can get a whole bunch of us ARFCOM guys to take the class? Kinda like a group buy?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:29:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rkbar15:

I only need the class, not the fingerprints

AFAIK the prints can only be taken by a law enforcement agency.

He works for one!

My secret is out, ahhhh!

At least I get free fingerprints .
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:06:40 AM EDT
The next class is February 6th at Ready-Aim-Fire for the Out of State FL CDW class.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:45:23 PM EDT
Hunter safety course.
You get a hunting license in the process.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:19:04 PM EDT
So how many people are planning on going to the course at Ready Aim Fire?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:22:49 PM EDT

So how many people are planning on going to the course at Ready Aim Fire?

i'm interested. what does the class consist of? classroom + range or ???

thanks
ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:05:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 7:07:14 AM EDT by GoingIncognito]
This class will also be offered at the Allentown gun show, and I may just take it there as I'll be at the show anyway.

From Personal Defense Solutions

The course covers the following topics:

Firearm safety rules and safe gun handling
Pertinent sections of the law relating to weapons, firearms and carry
Where you can and cannot carry a firearm
Deadly force
What carrying concealed means
How to interact with police
Self-defense awareness
Secure transport and storage
Handgun nomenclature and operation (revolvers and semi-automatic pistols)
Handgun Ammunition
Fundamentals of shooting a handgun
Maintenance and cleaning of a handgun
Concealment holsters and carry methods
Recommended readings
Basic competency test performed on the range

I'd also be interested in taking more classes if I'm going to carry concealed, as training is important IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:02:51 PM EDT

From Personal Defense Solutions

The course covers the following topics:
...snip...

that's not the ready aim fire course though...
www.rafire.com/training.htm

i'm looking for specifics on the ready aim fire course.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:42:35 PM EDT
That is the Ready Aim Fire course!

It is the 28 State Concealed Carry Permit Class given by Personal Defense Solutions, Ready Aim Fire is just hosting it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:01:41 PM EDT
Are you going to the 10 am class or the later one?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:57:42 PM EDT

That is the Ready Aim Fire course!
It is the 28 State Concealed Carry Permit Class given by Personal Defense Solutions, Ready Aim Fire is just hosting it.

ahhhhh, i see now!!!

tnx,
ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:02:13 PM EDT
The only problem with the 10 am class is I'd have to leave the house at around 7:30 am to get there by 9:30 am (their recommended arrival time for the early class). I was thinking about the afternoon class at 12:30 pm, but I don't know which day I'd like to go yet.

I just can't promise I'd be up and coherent in time to make it, but you never know. I guess I could do it if I had to .
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:29:01 AM EDT
Guys, I'm not going to be able to make the class given at the Allentown gun show, and my wife is coming to the show anyway and I doubt she'd be happy sitting around for 2 hours while I take the class (and she isn't interested in the class). I'll be taking the Feb 4th class at Ready Aim Fire if any of you want to join me.
Top Top