Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/20/2005 1:43:49 PM EDT
I thought I knew the laws regarding hi-cap mags (pre 1994 okay).

Now I was checking out a thread on TFL and came across this post:

Pre-Ban?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might want to re-check the state law on magazine capacity. I talked to the pistol clerk the other day, and was told magazine capacity is based on the date of purchase of THE GUN, not the magazines. In otherwords, if you register a handgun tomorrow you are allowed to have ONLY 10 round magazines for it no matter WHEN they were made.

Is there any validity to this information or what?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:08:21 PM EDT
Nonsense. Exactly what would they charge you with since the magazine is regulated and not the firearm? Do you have a link to the post?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:10:32 PM EDT
It's amazing the number of times we run accross individuals in positions of "authority" who only think they know the laws.
Magazine status as pre-ban or post-ban is baised on production dates, not when the handgun was made or registered. Date codes or lack thereof are the bane of Elliott Spitzer, this is why he's threatened to drag any company selling any magazines over ten rounds into court, reguardless of when they were made.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:54:42 PM EDT
there is a certain ffl dealer in the capital district .. ( i wont say who .. how many can there be ? you figure it out) ... who tells their customers that you cant use a preban hi cap mag in a gun made after 1994 .. for example . i have a post ban ar15 .. regardless of manufacture ... i can ONLY use POST ban mags in it .. i cant use preban mags as its illegal ...

ya know how the old saying goes .. yes virginia . there is a santa clause ? ..

well .. yes people .. there are ffl dealers that actually dont really know what they are talkin about all the time ..

you have to take it what its worth ...

[
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:22:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rkbar15:
Nonsense. Exactly what would they charge you with since the magazine is regulated and not the firearm? Do you have a link to the post?

Thanks for the reply rkbar. Here is the original thread, the mis-information was provided by Bo Hunter.

Link
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:23:16 AM EDT
That might be the case (unlawful to own pre ban mag if your gun is bought post ban)...but consider this...
(NYC aside)
1. It is, nor was it illegal to own ammo, magazines and or clips without a pistol permit.
2. It is not illegal to receive non regulated items as gifts. One could receive 1,000 pre ban magss and the rounds associated with them, and it would be legal.
3. You move into NY state, then have your guns shipped to you at a later date from your orignal state (or even sold prior to the move). You have pre ban mags in your original state, you buy a gun in NY, you have your preban mags mailed to you.

That pistol clerk needs some straightening out pronto.

/ml2150
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:34:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fp1201:
It's amazing the number of times we run accross individuals in positions of "authority" who only think they know the laws.
Magazine status as pre-ban or post-ban is baised on production dates, not when the handgun was made or registered. Date codes or lack thereof are the bane of Elliott Spitzer, this is why he's threatened to drag any company selling any magazines over ten rounds into court, reguardless of when they were made.

EEK!! Dont Say the Spitzer word

He is the reason NO CO. will ship untaxed cigarettes into NY now.

He could do the same thing for any product if he gets hot about it.
Top Top