Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 2:27:53 PM EDT
Ok guys, I ahve been so busy building my house I diodnt'do this earlier. It concerns the Dicks early bird sale on ammo...I spoke with Consumer Affairs and they said it appears to be Consumer Fraud. I senthte following email to Dicks, lets see what htey say.

To whom it may concern on November 25,2005, I went to the Dicks in Mays Landing, NJ. I went there for the early morning sale. I buy many cases of my ammunition at your store, I also tell many of my fellow officers to buy there on the sales.
On this saw I was going by the Ad in your circular, I heard about it from a large gun Board I go to, AR15.com. I saw the buy one get one free in a box, then a 50% off in larger type next to it. In no way were they connected to each other. There was also a limit of 6 boxes.
When I got my 6 boxes, I even commented to the department manager, who waited on me, that it was buy one get one free. He said nothing to me to he contrary. When I paid and left the store I realized the amount was too high. So I returned to the store, asked a man, and was redirected to another person, It seemed he didn't want to get involved. I was then told that it was buy one the 2nd was 50% off. As all sales on ammunition are final I left.
My points are your ad is first deceptionally misleading. it is not clearly stated that the 2nd is 50 % off. You group it in with other ads that are all 50% off.
You create a state of urgency that you must buy them by a certain time.
You set a limit, all other ammo sales have no limit.
Yet the sale on this date is the same as your normal week long sales.
When I spoke with a representative of my County Division of Consumer Affairs, he said it appeared that the ad is in violation of the Consumer Fraud Act.
Rather than file a complaint I wanted to hear your side of this matter.
Thank you, Bob

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Great, now they probably will not put ammo an sale again.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I also took advantage of the Black Friday specials and was disappointed at the deception.
Please post their reply here Bob.

Brian
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I didnt know Dicks had a store on Guam. Which hut is it? -Justin
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didnt know Dicks had a store on Guam. Which hut is it? -Justin

I'am sorry, that is funny shiz.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I also would like to hear their reply and if it is deception could we sue them.

I went to get it and was told the same has I was buying it. I told them I don't want it and was told too bad you bought it. I said no problem but  have not paid you yet you stupid mother fu&ker. Now either give me my ammo at the price advertised or shove it up your a$$ and I walked out...

If there is one more violent reference in ANY of your posts, I will be taking it to staff, UNDERSTOOD? - Edited by HiramRanger
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]
OK Hiram, two points, one there was different type and there was a clear seperation. also I don't have to sue them the State of NJ does it and can fine them up to $1000.00 per count. I worked in retail Management also , and they laughed aobut deceptive ads and admitted it. One company based in PA, I worked for would violate NJ laws and laughing until a manager reported them and the District Manager was on his way to Jail...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#9]
OK lets try it again, there was a box with 'buy one get one'..... then a seperate 50% off all ammunition...differerent size, also the most prominent. 50% off is the same as buy one get one free.

The deception was that they were different, it was not one line that said 'Buy one get one 50% off' but two sepeerate phrases, also the manager that didnt' clarify it when I said oh buy one get one.... and he was rude when I came back 10 minutes later.

Profit, they make profit, they sell at 25% off al the time, no limit, they have a pallet or two inthe back. and always run out at sale time. I can go to a FFL that sells at about he same price, only is 20 minutes away. Or I can order from Cabelas, I have been saving $5 a box on some ammo with the postage.

KMart and Walmart are getting out for regulation difficulties in NJ. Dicks has Sports Authority and that is competion..something they didn't have.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#11]

So if you really did start screaming mother fucker and shove it up your ass in a store full of customers, I would advise a different tact in the future.

Didn't scream but told the guy nicely and left.  No where in my post did I say I screamed.

Anyway...No problem has per our IM conversation.

I apoligize for any harsh comments I have made in the past and sounding like a True EDP..
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#12]
OK I have to put a copy of the ad on photobucket and then I will post it, but as far as today Dicks has not gotten back to me, they say they would in 24 hours.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn I have been busy, sad thing is Sports Authority got rid of their ammo, will make not using Dicks a bit harder. but Hiram here is the ad,

i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/CrazyRobert/051124_W1_D_vw8iz.jpg
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Most likely is, try saving it and opening it wiht MS Photeditor. And hte big thing is they have not replied at all!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Thats the same ad we got here in LI. There wasn't much ammo there when I went. I think we can thank Wave and banned boy for that lol.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
just to give you guys an idea of how these guys work. my brother-in-law was store manager of bestbuy and as per "higher power" orders. they ran add for the day after thanksgiving with things such as "32" flatscreen tv's only $59.99." stuff insanly cheap. the way it works is. the only have ONE of them TV's so once you get in the store they can say the ysold out, BUTBUTBUT, heres another model for only $600. its called baiting..you bought bullets for more then you wanted to pay that day right??? so then it worked.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top