User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
PK90,

FYI, I submitted for my FID on 11/13/05 and as of 12/22/05, the PD did not even SEND OUT the ref forms to my refs because they hadn't heard back from the state...allegedly.

How is it that the state works faster for some towns than for others? WTF?

Getting results back from the state should NOT be wishy washy and has no bearing on municipal staffing.

So this is what it's like to take it up the ass.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
PK90,
FYI, I submitted for my FID on 11/13/05 and as of 12/22/05, the PD did not even SEND OUT the ref forms to my refs because they hadn't heard back from the state...allegedly.
Getting results back from the state should NOT be wishy washy and has no bearing on municipal staffing.

I said "I have no pull at the state level, but the locals won't sit on it."  I should have said that the prints take the longest and I have no control over that.  What I do have are friends at the local level.  

There is no need for the locals to wait on the prints, to send out the reference letters or do the background checks.

ETA:  It is highly likely that references take their time in responding.  This happens a majority of the time.  And they will lie about it to the applicant.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wolfy,

What town are you in? I find what you are saying VERY difficult to believe.

Quoted:
I know someone else who just got 2 permits that quickly, I believe it.[/quote]

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
PK90,

This IS not like a prostate exam (ask the above 50 crowd) OR as in lockup with Bubba where Bubba does the NFG.

This is simply a miscarriage of the law - it an annoyance, frustating and total BS. Good luck moving forward - I am waiting on NEW permits since 12.20.05, keep you posted.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I applied for my NJ FID on 9/2 at my local NJ State Police Barracks (Augusta NJ Barracks). The issue date printed on my card is 11/10. They called me about a week later to tell me it was in. One of my referances responded very quickly, the second there was some difficulty for the police to contact that may have delayed the process a week.

I was a bit annoyed that it took so long, but from what ive read on here mine was actually pretty quick comparably.

I have not yet applied for a pistle permit...im sure that will take much longer. Especially since one of my references just moved to New Mexico...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#8]
You use new references each time a permit is applied for.  I hope you have more than 2 friends.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#9]
New references? That's crazy. I've used the same references every time. I hope you weren't saying that it's a requirement or something.

Incidentally, Lion_dog, those permits I told you I was waiting on before? They were done, the dude just hadn't called me yet

Maybe in a couple months I'll apply for more. Still have to add some goodies to the stuff I bought last year.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Raven_VT100-

Negative on the same references I think PK90 was referring to a late responding reference, maybe you need to find faster responders.

When my FID was ready, they "forgot" to call me almost 2 weeks, but including those two weeks was only 1 1/2 month application to pickup.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#11]
they forgot to call me for about a month when my fPid (there, is that better? ;) and initial pistol permits came in. But knowing a little better now, it doesn't surprise me - the guy is swamped with a lot of other crap. This would be a good job for a cop who doesn't have anything better to do - like your average suburban NJ chief of police, not a detective who's got his hands full with more important stuff.

The first time I applied was not too long after 9/11. The guy said, 'why three pistol permits?' and then said something like "we  have to ask, after what happened". Which was good for a few laughs, since 9/11 had nothing to do with firearms (except maybe the lack thereof).  

This time I asked for five. To be honest, the main reason was to see if they would crap their pants. So of course he asks me "why five" - to which I reply, "well it takes so long to get one, that I figure I might as well get five." The detective said that wasn't a good enough answer, so I said "I'm a collector." That was a good enough answer.

Interesting note: the guy wrote that (collector) at the top of the app. Which makes me think that he's thinking the chief will ask why's this guy getting 5, and he wants to remember why. LOL

Sometimes I feel like a trained monkey living in this state.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#12]
littleguy I have asked for 5 at a time and they didn't even blink.   They have NO RIGHT asking you "WHY".   NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    In 2004 I accounted for half the permits issued in my town for the year.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been having pretty good luck with my pistol purchase permits lately.  They transfered the duty to one of the detectives.  The detective is on the ball wrt getting all of the paperwork turned around and he does the work like it is his job rather than a courtesy like the other guys did.  I went to the office and filled out the SPI stuff on 12/22 and I hand carried the personal reference forms with me because they go to two guys at work.  Jan 5 the detective gives me a call asking where the reference forms are because everything else is back.  I took the forms in early in the morning and by lunch I had a message on my phone that my permits were ready.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I am sort of testing the process.  My son applied for his FID and P2P on 12/28/05.  I have no pull at the state level, but the locals won't sit on it.  The references already submitted their replies.  He was told 6-8 weeks.  I'll post when he gets the call.

Got the call from the local department on 2/10/2006.  Prints were back from the SBI in 44 days.  

Local PD called again on 3/1/2006, 19 days later, to pick them up.  

Total time from start to finish was 63 days for a new FID and P2P.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am sort of testing the process.  My son applied for his FID and P2P on 12/28/05.  I have no pull at the state level, but the locals won't sit on it.  The references already submitted their replies.  He was told 6-8 weeks.  I'll post when he gets the call.

Got the call from the local department on 2/10/2006.  Prints were back from the SBI in 44 days.  

Local PD called again on 3/1/2006, 19 days later, to pick them up.  

Total time from start to finish was 63 days for a new FID and P2P.  

Congrats for your son!  What's going to be his first purchase?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#16]
The reason why you get this crappy behavior from the cops, regarding issuing of permits, is because there is no penalty for the cops if they don't comply with the requirements of the State's firearm laws.

If your local cops are lazy-asses, or just don't like you, expect a LONG wait.  You can hire a lawyer, and go before a judge, and all the judge will do is order the Chief to issue the permit.  You will never get back your lawyer's fees, nor will you ever win any punitive damages.  The cops don't give a crap if you file a complaint, because it won't cost them anything.  THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY FOR THE BLUE MAFIA IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY.

My initial FID card took 6 months.  I've never received a pistol permit in less than 2 months.  I know for a fact that some people in town -- who are friends/relatives of cops or council members -- have received pistol permits in less than a week.  

Every time I apply for a pistol permit, I'm told that I need to be finger printed.  Every time I bring along a print-out from the State Police web site stating that prints are not required after the initial FID card is issued.   Every time the cop gets defensive, and then says he'll "do me a favor" and skip the prints. Things will not changed until they are changed in Trenton, and that ain't gonna happen.  New Jersey is this country's most corrupt state and most of the residents of this State like it that way because they are scum-bags.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Update:

Well, it's March 2. The state background check came back a couple of weeks ago. They said they were still waiting for Federal check to come in. The PD sent out my referral forms and I KNOW my referrals sent them back the same day. Now, it's a question of either waiting for the Feds or waiting for the local PD to issue the card.

Both Firearms cops have been on the graveyard shift for the last few weeks, so I haven't felt the urge to drive to the PD at 11PM to check in.

So....still waiting....going on 4 months!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#18]
ITS JERSEY -IT SUCKS -IM MOVING  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The reason why you get this crappy behavior from the cops, regarding issuing of permits, is because there is no penalty for the cops if they don't comply with the requirements of the State's firearm laws.

If your local cops are lazy-asses, or just don't like you, expect a LONG wait.  You can hire a lawyer, and go before a judge, and all the judge will do is order the Chief to issue the permit.  You will never get back your lawyer's fees, nor will you ever win any punitive damages.  The cops don't give a crap if you file a complaint, because it won't cost them anything.  THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY FOR THE BLUE MAFIA IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY.

My initial FID card took 6 months.  I've never received a pistol permit in less than 2 months.  I know for a fact that some people in town -- who are friends/relatives of cops or council members -- have received pistol permits in less than a week.  

Every time I apply for a pistol permit, I'm told that I need to be finger printed.  Every time I bring along a print-out from the State Police web site stating that prints are not required after the initial FID card is issued.   Every time the cop gets defensive, and then says he'll "do me a favor" and skip the prints. hings

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Vadge,
Federal Check?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Vadge,
Federal Check? hr

They told me the background check from the NJSP came back, but they were waiting on the FBI national check to come back. I think that makes sense....doesn't it?hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I am pretty sure that there is no Federal check.  Sounds like you're getting the run around.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vadge,
Federal Check?

They told me the background check from the NJSP came back, but they were waiting on the FBI national check to come back. I think that makes sense....doesn't it?

Man, that really sucks. My local PD told me 3 months, but it ended up being 4.5 for my FID and first pistol permit.

Congrats PK90 on your sons FID

^_^_^
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Just got my pistol purchase permits today.  Handed in the forms 1/26, got everything back but my employment verification on 2/23.  Employer sent in form on 3/3, and permits were signed on 3/8.

about 6 weeks, probably would have been 4 weeks if it wasn't for my employer sitting on the employment verification form.  Why does my employer need to know that I want to purchase a pistol, anyway? his suspicious questioning.  I guess I look like a nice law-abiding citizen.hat
Well, this weekend a brand new SIG P225 will be mine!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#25]
You need employment verification?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, I finally received my FID on 3-6-06. I put in the paperwork on 11/13/05. So, just about 4 months.

The best part is that they couldn't give me my pistol permit at the same time as my card because the chief signed the permit, but forgot to emboss the seal on it.

Amen.

I put a deposit on a H-K P2000 today. Boy, did that feel good.

While I was there, I was fondling the Bushies. I really thought I wanted an RRA, but when I called RRA, they told me it was a 6-8 week wait. The Bushy looks much better considering that.

They had a Bushmaster M4 A3 postban with one 5 rd mag, pinned stock and Izzy break for $1020. The RRA Tactical A4 I was contemplating was $879 with a 10 rd mag. $1020 seems really high to me or is that just another NJ bitch slap? What to do????
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Why not consider a Stag Arms?  Price and quality is similar to a RRA and they are readily available.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Why not consider a Stag Arms?  Price and quality is similar to a RRA and they are readily available.

Is the Bushmaster considered a step above RRA by most? I'm not against spending $1020 on the Bushmaster, I just don't know if that's a good price or not.

Don't know much about Stags. What's the word? Any local NJ dealers?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top