Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2005 10:11:36 AM EDT
One day short of seven months and I was finally able to pick it up. That was long wait.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
My better half was fingerprinted by Nassau PD in early May, still waiting.  Spotless record , etc., etc., they just don't want anyone to exercise their rights here...
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't realize what you have to go through to actually purchase a handgun. I found a gun on Saturday at the gun shop. Put a deposit down on it and got a receipt. Today I have to leave work early and go to Police headquarters with the receipt (mainly Make, Model, & Serial Number) & a $5 money order. They will be giving me a purchase order. I then have to go back to the gun shop about 40 min. away and pick up my gun. Then I have to get back to police headquarters within 10 days with the handgun so they can look at it and add it to my license. There is just nothing easy anymore.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#3]
You should have listed a pistol on your license application when you submitted it to avoid the BS you are going through now. Not all counties are as fooked up as yours. AFAIK some counties will still give you a purchase coupon when they issue the license and then you just submit an amendment form after you transfer the pistol.

What county are you in that they require an "inspection"? I don't think NYC even does that anymore.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Nassau.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...I was finally able to pick it up.

CONGRATS !!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:28:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in Suffolk. I picked up my new handgun last night. Can't wait till 4pm when I get off work today and go down to the range and try it out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I am in the process of adding another pistol to my Nassau permit.  
IIRC, I have to first buy for ten bucks a purchase order  at Mineola (Nassau PD HQ), then go to the gunshop and pick up the pistol.  I have a couple of days to get my butt back to Mineola and present it, unloaded of course,  to the pistol police where it will be inspected to verify the serial number and simultaneously added to my pistol license.  
And God forbid I should cross the white line or ignore the stop sign at the door !!!!
I am as frugal as all get-out, but the 'crats are not going to beat me on this, I will have my guns and live here too, LOL !!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:02:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I started the Nassau county permit process in early May, and I received my Nassau permit on 6 Nov. 05.  

Now, I am waiting until January to pick up a purchase document.  They expire on 31 December every year, and I have no plans for a purchase prior to my Income Tax check.

Bill H.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I wanted the Sig P220 but there was no way to spend that much money 2 weeks before Christmas and give my wife a cheap little gift because the bank account was tapped for my new toy. I got the Walther P22 with the 5" barrel & green frame. 3.5 hours left before I get off work and then right to the indoor range on RT112 to try it out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I didn't realize what you have to go through to actually purchase a handgun. I found a gun on Saturday at the gun shop. Put a deposit down on it and got a receipt. Today I have to leave work early and go to Police headquarters with the receipt (mainly Make, Model, & Serial Number) & a $5 money order. They will be giving me a purchase order. I then have to go back to the gun shop about 40 min. away and pick up my gun. Then I have to get back to police headquarters within 10 days with the handgun so they can look at it and add it to my license. There is just nothing easy anymore.

Isn't that a great process. Unbelievable!  Do they still give you a paper, non laminated licence that falls apart?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't that a great process. Unbelievable!  Do they still give you a paper, non laminated licence that falls apart?

We're still getting paper here in Nassau.  It wouldn't be that bad if it fit nicely in your wallet.  Instead, it's an odd sized......very expensive piece of paper.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:16:02 AM EDT
[#13]
No, we get a rather nice hard plastic card. The nice thing is when I brought the new handgun down for inspection they print up a new card right there with the firearm listed on it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Well it's about damn time.

YoU KnOw YoU wAnT a SIG.

Of course that Walther is MUCH cheaper to feed, and better to learn on. Congrats.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#15]
IRWFO, are the restrictions on your license?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well it's about damn time.

YoU KnOw YoU wAnT a SIG.
photos.imageevent.com/cas6969/guns/TwoSIGS-2-650XWordsCaliners.jpg

Of course that Walther is MUCH cheaper to feed, and better to learn on. hr

I want that Sig so bad I can taste it. The Walther did shoot very well the first time out. 200 rds and no malfunctions.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It's a sportsman class. I can only carry to and from the range & to hunting. Anywhere else it has to be locked in a case away from it's ammo.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a sportsman class. I can only carry to and from the range & to hunting. Anywhere else it has to be locked in a case away from it's ammo.

IRWFO, I know that's what they call it but the Suffolk County Police Dept. makes up their own pistol license classifications that don't exist under NYS law. You were issued a NYS concealed carry license that the SCPD arbitrarily restricted to  hunting and target use. There is no such thing as a "sportsman class" license in NYS.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Unfortunatly restrictions placed on NY state pistol permits by the issuing counties are legaly binding. All NY state permits are for concealed carry, but if you carry outside of your restriction your permit could be revoked if you're caught.

Quoted:

IRWFO, I know that's what they call it but the Suffolk County Police Dept. makes up their own pistol license classifications that don't exist under NYS law. You were issued a NYS concealed carry license that the SCPD arbitrarily restricted to  hunting and target use. There is no such thing as a "sportsman class" license in NYS.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Unfortunatly restrictions placed on NY state pistol permits by the issuing counties are legaly binding. All NY state permits are for concealed carry, but if you carry outside of your restriction your permit could be revoked if you're caught.

Do you know if anyone has actually been prosecuted for carrying outside their restrictions?

I was told that the cops don't enforce the restrictions because they are technically not on the books.

How are the restrictions legally binding if they aren't actual laws?

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know if anyone has actually been prosecuted for carrying outside their restrictions?

I was told that the cops don't enforce the restrictions because they are technically not on the books.

You can't be arrested/charged/prosecuted because it's difficult to violate a law that doesn't exist.

The NY Appeals Court has stated in several decisions over the years that a licensing officer can place administrative restrictions on a NYS carry concealed pistol license. If you are found to be carrying outside of your restrictions and the complaining party notifys your licensing officer he/she can suspend or revoke your license or spank you in some other way as they see fit. If you disagree with the decision you can appeal it by filing a an Article 78 proceeding in NY Supreme Court and challenge the decision.

The problem in Western Suffolk and Nassau Counties is the Police Commissioner of the respective county is your licensing officer rather then a judge. I'm sure if a NC or SC cop wants to bust your balls your license will be revoked by the PD pistol license division.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another negative aspect to the overstamps is that some states may not grant you a non-res permit for their state if they see that your NY permit is restricted. I think it was NH that wouldn't grant me a NH non-res because my NY permit was overstamped.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:44:38 AM EDT
[#23]
That's what Florida is for

Michigan recognizes the NY permit, but you are bound by any restrictions. CT will issue a non resident regardless of restrictions. NYC permit people are screwed because their parmit is not good for carry.

Quoted:

Another negative aspect to the overstamps is that some states may not grant you a non-res permit for their state if they see that your NY permit is restricted. I think it was NH that wouldn't grant me a NH non-res because my NY permit was overstamped.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#24]

The problem in Western Suffolk and Nassau Counties is the Police Commissioner of the respective county is your licensing officer rather then a judge. I'm sure if a NC or SC cop wants to bust your balls your license will be revoked by the PD pistol license division.

So basically, if you get caught and the cop wants to be a dick.......the worst that will happen is a suspended license or complete revocation.

If the restrictions technically aren't laws though, might be worth taking the issue to court (if one has the means).

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Violating an administrative pistol license restriction is not a criminal offense in NY. Providing you weren't committing a criminal offense (harassment, menacing etc.) there is nothing that a NYS LEO can arrest or charge you with.

The issue of administrative restrictions placed on NYS carry licenses has been appealed to the NY Court of Appeals (the highest court in NYS) several times. The issue has been decided and any further litigation at the state level would be fruitless. Your options are to file an Article 78 proceeding in State Supreme Court to get your  restrictions removed if you can make a case for it, move to Dutchess County (or another pro gun county) or GTF out of NY.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#26]

or GTF out of NY.  

I think this is the ideal short answer for most of us at some point in our lifetime.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
That's what Florida is for

Michigan recognizes the NY permit, but you are bound by any restrictions. CT will issue a non resident regardless of restrictions. NYC permit people are screwed because their parmit is not good for carry.

Quoted:

Last time I checked, the FL non-res went for more $$ than I am willing to spend. I remember when I started getting my Mass non-res it was $10/ year. When it went to $100/ year I dropped it; thats just too rich for my blood for as little as I go to Mass.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Another reason to call and talk to the permit department of whatever state you're interested in. There was a long standing rumor that CT would not issue out of state to a restricted license. This is completly untrue and I verified it by calling the CT people. I have CT as well.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:28:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Neither NH nor CT has any such restrictions. When  I applied for (and received) both, I had only a "target" endorsement on my permit.

/ml2150
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Neither NH nor CT has any such restrictions. When  I applied for (and received) both, I had only a "target" endorsement on my permit.

/ml2150

NH will also accept a CCW that has been issued to you from any state:

webster.state.nh.us/safety/nhsp/documents/dssp260.pdf

A non-resident pistol permit will not be issued unless you supply:

1) A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry permit issued by the state, county, or town in which you reside, or a valid concealed permit issued by any other state.

www.packing.org/state/new_hampshire/

From packing,org:

NOTE: Effective 10/21/04, you must have a Permit to Carry from ANY state before New Hampshire will issue you a non-resident New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License. A Concealed Carry Permit with restrictions will be accepted by New Hampshire and they will issue you a non-resident License even with a Restricted Concealed Carry Permit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

/ml2150

Well, thats odd, because when I applied, I got my application back with a statement that as long as my NY permitw as restricted, I couldn't get a non res permit there. My CT non-res permit has another year of life to it before it expires.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top