Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/11/2003 12:29:08 PM EDT
Hello everyone, I haven't really been active since last spring so I guess it is a good time to check in. Seems that stuff's the same old, same old. Is Rbad still around this board? Has he posted any time in the last months? I hope he's alright.

Now, if have a little question: Doesn't the State of NJ by LAW have to grant or deny a handgun purchase permit within 30 days for a state resident? I thought that's law... Three months is outrageous.

One more thing: Does NJ really require a safe like some NY counties after the x-th handgun purchase? I thought that it was only recommended, not required by law...

Anyway, good to be back, see you all around...

Doggonit
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:20:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/12/2003 5:21:46 AM EDT by FMJunkie]
Yes, the law states 30 days or it is assumed to be granted.

The remedy you can seek for not getting your firearms permit is through the state's supreme court. Basically, you have to sue them and the judge will rule in your favor but, you are talking a long drawn out process.

Its pretty common everywhere to expect a three month wait for an initial permit. I usually got subsequent permits within a few weeks. However, I have friends that have waited months for each subsequent permit. Its all about the local PD you are dealing with.

Its unfortunate that some departments are so unprofessional in the execution of their duties but the only thing you can really do is move to another township. (edited to add - or another STATE!)
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:16:48 AM EDT
RBAD emailed me earlier in the week, he's doing fine.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:18:44 PM EDT
This is not the first one... the lady in the office said three to six motnhs... it seems that they would do it faster if they could. It seems to depend on the State Police who are unfortunately not very kind at all.

I wish it would really be only a few weeks....
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:09:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FMJunkie:
Yes, the law states 30 days or it is assumed to be granted.

The remedy you can seek for not getting your firearms permit is through the state's supreme court. Basically, you have to sue them and the judge will rule in your favor but, you are talking a long drawn out process.

Its pretty common everywhere to expect a three month wait for an initial permit. I usually got subsequent permits within a few weeks. However, I have friends that have waited months for each subsequent permit. Its all about the local PD you are dealing with.

I agree that some Police Departments sit on the applications, but most delays are waiting for the prints to come back or references to reply.

Sueing has been tried before and the courts have ruled in favor of the Police.

lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/decisions/appellate/a4878-96.opn.html

I quote from the court findings, "...the express statutory language does not specifically require that an application be denied within the thirty day period, but rather that the permit be granted unless "good cause" for a denial appears."

and, "...the consequences of automatic approval of a permit at the expiration of the thirty day period would be visited on the public for whose protection the statute was enacted."

There is not much of a chance to hurry things along, except to call once a week after the thirty day period.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:02:59 AM EDT
My friend was applying for her permitand that PD did not believe that women should have guns at all. He told her a year. THe guy behind her butted in. Identifed himself as a lawyer, quoted the law, and told her that in 30 days if she did not have her permit, contact him. He would sue the PD for no charge!
That is a good lawyer, she got it in 29 days. WHen I lived in HOboken they busted your balls and did everything to not give you an application. My friend was even retired CHeif of Detectives and it wasno good. I came down home to the little hole in the wall twon I grew up in and was asked why I even applied there, I got it in two weeks.
I haven't gotten a recent pistol permit, but when the LT that retired was doing mine weused to BS for an hour about guns.
Top Top