Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/26/2003 4:34:50 PM EDT
I just returned from a dinner for one of my brothers sons birthday and the discussion about face to face sales in NY came with specific regard to the age of eligibility. I thought that I read something in my C&R books about the sale of rifles to minors under the age of nineteen was prohibited but everyone else was convinced that the age of 18 made someone "not a minor" as far as rifle purchases was concerned whether it's a FTF(face to face) or purchased from a dealer. I do have a gun that I am going to sell to one of my nephews when they are of legal age but I want to make sure everything is perfectly legal and don't want to jeopardize my C&R license. Anyone know the correct information about selling a rifle FTF?
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:04:46 PM EDT
It's 18 in NYS for the transfer of a long gun for either a private or dealer transfer unless further restricted by local law.

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:11:08 PM EDT
Um , you don't know any 18 year olds that
have a shotgun or a .22 ?
You a Big City feller?

Seriously , I took a look at ATF online,
and I only see 18 as the legal age for
longguns.

NY says 18 is legal for longguns too , so,
as long as the "no prohibited person" part
is adhered to its just a private sale
(course you keep a C&R book )
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:07:20 PM EDT
I was in American Outdoor Sports a week ago when a few kids came in and one asked to buy a shotgun. The salesman said that he could not buy a shotgun with pistol grip unless he was 21.

Bill H.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:48:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bill3rail:
I was in American Outdoor Sports a week ago when a few kids came in and one asked to buy a shotgun. The salesman said that he could not buy a shotgun with pistol grip unless he was 21.

Bill H.

Then the salesman was a moron.. :)
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:56:54 PM EDT
i picked up an M1A on my 18th birthday from a dealer if that means anything
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:42:31 PM EDT
Thanks for all the responses and yes I too have verified that it is indeed 18 for long guns FTF.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:11:23 AM EDT

Bill H.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It may have been a store policy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 9:16:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By celticfozzie:

Bill H.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It may have been a store policy.

ive been to this shop before and from my experience I will have to agree that the salesman is a moron
Top Top