Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2003 6:21:38 PM EDT
Alright folks, get your gloves out 'cause its time to start shooting in the cold!  Well, hopefully not that cold...

What:  Fun, friends, guns, ammo and subsersive pumpkins plotting to terrorize you that must be stopped!
When: Saturday 11/8 from 0900 until around 1400 or so.
Where:  Ft Dix Rod & Gun Club - Range 14
How Much:  $15 for the range fees, $5 per chance at the 50/50 (if you wish to participate)

Raffle prizes to follow!

This space reserved for fantastic out of this world can't believe it raffle prizes

We'll definitely have another friendly shooting competition on the side again.  Details will follow...

If everyone who comes could bring a pumpkin or two, it would be much appreciated!  (There is a farmstand on the way using the directions below)

So get ready for a lot of fun and orange carnage!
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are the directions again, just so they're up here.

I know they are long but, I was very descriptive with them. The whole trip is really very simple.

•Take NJ Turnpike to Exit 7

•After paying toll, take Rt. 206 South

•After a short distance, make a LEFT onto Rt. 68. This is a very well marked intersection with signs for Fort Dix. Also, you can only turn left or go straight at this light, there is no right turn. Rt. 68 is larger highway divided in the middle by a grass median.

•After several miles, you will turn LEFT onto Rt. 537/Monmouth Rd. If you go too far, you will run into the entrance to Ft Dix and the MPs will tell you so. Just turn around and go back a couple of roads.

•After a couple of miles, you will come to an intersection with a WAWA on the far left corner, a diner on the far right corner, a motel on the near left and a gas station on the near right. The WAWA is a good landmark and the last/best place to stop for supplies before getting to the range… Continue straight through the light and on 537.

•A couple of miles past the WAWA you will go through a traffic light. Soon after that you will pass a farm market on your left (with the farm on both sides of the road) and then come to a flashing yellow light. Turn RIGHT at the flashing light onto Jacobstown Cookstown Rd. Note – one of the signs on the corner only says Jacobstown Rd but, that’s the one you want. Just look for the flashing yellow light; that is the best landmark.

•Follow this road to the end, it is a couple of miles. When you get to the end/stop sign, turn RIGHT onto the little main street of Cookstown. I do not believe there are any street signs here.

•Once you go through town you will pass a farm field and then cross over onto the military reservation. (Ft Dix) There is one little white sign that you might miss but, as soon as the field ends and the woods begin, you are on base. Continue straight, this is now Range Rd. You will pass some Bivouac sites on the right and a range or two on the left and the ‘urban’ range on the right. Look for ‘Messina Range’ on your left and the urban/MOUT looking range on your right (they are directly across from each other). These are good landmarks and Range 14 is the next left up the road. You will see a small brown sign on the left that says ‘Ft Dix Rod & Gun Club – Range 14’. Turn LEFT here.

•Go down the short road and cross the tank trail and go through the gate. (you will see the red ‘range hot’ flag flying) Go straight down the long ‘driveway’. You will pass the skeet/trap range on your left, the small archery courses on your right and will eventually come to the rifle range. (You have to turn left)

•We have tables 13 and 14 which are the last two on the right. (These would be the first two you will see when you pull in) Look for a black F-150 parked on the line. You can pull up to the line to unload and the park in the gravel lot right behind our positions so others can pull up and unload.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#2]
dangit school prevents me from going on saturdays now
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Count me in.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in too, if the VIRGINIANS don't keep me.We will need all the firepower we can gather to fight the EVIL PUMPKINS !
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Heh, the Hun and I encountered a two-pumpkin recon team this past weekend...  Let's just say that we carved 'em a new one!

I just love shooting pumpkins!
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#6]
hmm last friday there were a few pumpkins getting flanked by a few people in lane 3-4 i think
all i know is they saw the muzzle flash from me
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in if Deer Season Preparation doesn't get in the way.

Hey pumpkins could be related to me, I could tell ya why, but then I'd have to... you know.YOU

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Guess I have no excuse this time not to make it.

I'll just have to get permission from my mommy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 2:05:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Guess I have no excuse this time not to make it.

I'll just have to get permission from my mommy.

That's Right.The BEACH BUNNIES went home for the season.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey can I bring WOMEN???
Pigs! I know what you WERE thinking!

Like in my wife and female cousin?

Awaiting your approval... I humbly remain.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#12]
L_D as long as your female cousin is cute an single!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Dude, you better bring them now!  

My personal opinion is that the crowd that attends these shoots is a truly great bunch of people that would welcome ANYONE who wanted to join us.  I just wish we got see everyone more often!  (hard-case, 223rem, I'm looking your way!)

We have so many walks of life represented that I know they will hit it off with at least a few people.

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
L_D as long as your female cousin is cute an single!

Yes, she is cute. Has a resemblance to Audrey Hepburn, when Audrey H. was similar age. Lives in Long Island City.

Edited: got my Hepburns confused.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#15]
My bad Robert, but I am trying to recruit a few other Southerners this time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#16]
223, she's monitoring this thread.... Mr. Einstein -
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#17]
PUMPKIN REPORT

Due to excessive spring rains there will be less and smaller pumpkins this year.

Will we be using CANNED pumpkin instead???
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll try to make it again...

I'm the 20 yr old guy who won the Cav Arms Lower from Blast III.

Maybe I can bring my lady too... just got her permission to keep up to three long arms in the apartment... w00

(Ar15 in toolbox (broken down), CZ452, and Ruger 10/22).  =)

Ben
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
PUMPKIN REPORT

Due to excessive spring rains there will be less and smaller pumpkins this year.

How the F*#K you get a pumpkin in a can ?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
PUMPKIN REPORT

How the F*#K you get a pumpkin in a can ?

You gotta ask DELMONTE, they been doing it for years.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Whoops!  If that is the case, then I'm definitely not asking what you call the useless skin around the vagina?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Barring any unforseen calls, I will most likely be there.

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 4:40:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoops!  If that is the case, then I'm definitely not asking what you call the useless skin around the vagina?

I think after reading this thread she'd say, "A man!"
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:43:31 AM EDT
[#24]
L_D, why am I getting the feeling that if we ever met up, we would both get ourselves in some kind of trouble?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
L_D, why am I getting the feeling that if we ever met up, we would both get ourselves in some kind of trouble?

I don't know... for years I was a gratitous male chauvanist pig, NOW happily married to an upscale quality woman - I am still a male chauvanist pig but hiding in the closet. Are you talking going "SATIN DOLLS" aka "Bada-Bings", well I don't know??? My guess correct?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Will be there again !
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
PUMPKIN REPORT

You haven't seen the farm stand outside the range!
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
PUMPKIN REPORT

You haven't seen the farm stand outside the range!

I'm new to the NJ area so I wouldn't know  ...

but the report was published recently - too much spring into summer rain interfered with the late spring planting which have given us the "extra" we've been used to and the abundance of rain was too much - stunting size. Of course this was reported and like too much unvetted info could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:00:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know... for years I was a gratitous male chauvanist pig, NOW happily married to an upscale quality woman - I am still a male chauvanist pig but hiding in the closet. Are you talking going "SATIN DOLLS" aka "Bada-Bings", well I don't know??? My guess correct?

Naw...it's more like a sense of a warped mentality.  Not too many men know the answer to that joke.  

I'm really not a chauvinist pig by any means, but I do bartend, so I am required to have a repertoire of joke available .  My blood always boils when I see attractive females.  Living and working at the Jersey shore does not help my condition either.

Here's another joke for you:

What did Cindarella say when she got to the ball?  <choking sound> GAG! <choking sound>    
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Naw...it's more like a sense of a warped mentality.  Not too many men know the answer to that joke.  

I'm really not a chauvinist pig by any means, but I do bartend, so I am required to have a repertoire of joke available .  My blood always boils when I see attractive females.  Living and working at the Jersey shore does not help my condition either.

Here's another joke for you:

What did Cindarella say when she got to the ball?  <choking sound> GAG! <choking sound>    

HEHE, actually if you said yes and we went to BADA-BINGS I could blame you for corrupting my [ah hem] morales!

That being said I am warped, but no overdrive!

Looking forward to meeting ya.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:50:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I did a ballistic test for you
canned food explodes very well with a nice hollow point
namely the Hornady TAP 60G
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I did a ballistic test for you
canned food explodes very well with a nice hollow point
namely the Hornady TAP 60G

I love this man... just IN case, we can bring uh - backup canned pumpkin!!! Do it for the children.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I just wish we got see everyone more often!  (hard-case, 223rem, I'm looking your way!)

I know...I know. Work is finally letting up, and I have this shoot locked into the schedule......
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Any ideas for the "friendly" marksmanship contest yet Robert?

I guess I'd better dust off and get most of the rust off my rifle before the 8th.  Hell I'd better make sure I have a decent zero for them as well.  Damnit! That means I have to go to the range.  Hate that!

2 weeks out gentlemen.

Oh! What is the fantastic razzle price.  Dinner with L_D's cute female cousin?  (married folk need not to enter)

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Any ideas for the "friendly" marksmanship contest yet Robert?

I guess I'd better dust off and get most of the rust off my rifle before the 8th.  Hell I'd better make sure I have a decent zero for them as well.  Damnit! That means I have to go to the range.  Hate that!

2 weeks out gentlemen.

Oh! What is the fantastic razzle price.  Dinner with L_D's cute female cousin?  (married folk need not to enter)

She told me she'd be clearing her calender. BTW, if you choose to "instruct her" be "certified"!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Hey can I bring WOMEN???

Like...female cousin?...

I am definitely coming to this one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Time to round up and corral the EVIL PUMPKINS for next weeks' MASSACRE.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey can I bring WOMEN???

Like...female cousin?...

I am definitely coming to this one.

Whoa....slow down there B_R.  Back of the line.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Hey guys, just got back from vacation!

I will put up the shooting contest info tonight and the raffle prize info in the next day or two.  (they don't sell that kind of stuff in Disney World so, I still have to go buy it!)
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Hey guys, just got back from vacation!

I will put up the shooting contest info tonight and the raffle prize info in the next day or two.  (they don't sell that kind of stuff in Disney World so, I still have to go buy it!)

WELOCME BACL!!!! -  I mean, welcome back!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey, I can not make this shoot either.

I am moving and need to keep packing my 13 years of "stuff" that I have collected!

I am such a loser...I went to Bulletfest in OH, the SE Survival campout in GA and Gunstock in TX and I can't even make it to a shoot with my NJ brothers!

I'll join the range next year and will make ALL the shoots. Have fun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Competition Details

OK, I thought it would be fun to expose everyone to a little IDPA-style action shooting this time around.  This will be a small/short course of fire but I think it will be a real blast and everyone will have fun.

Here is a diagram and description of the scenario:

Home Invasion

Scenario:

You are awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of intruders breaking through your door and running through your house.  By the time you sit up in bed, clear your head, retrieve your weapon and make it ready to fire, they are already in your house and holding your family hostage.

Course of Fire:

1. Start with stopwatch, unloaded weapon and one magazine loaded with 9 rounds lying on table.  Shooter is seated.
2. Shooter starts stopwatch.
3. Shooter picks up weapon and makes ready to fire.
4. Shooter engages three threats in the bedroom while sitting in bed.  (shooter must remain seated)  Threat 2 must be engaged first, remaining threats in any order.  
    --a. Threat 1 is using your spouse as a human shield.  
    --b. Threat 2 is heading towards you with a knife.  
    --c. Threat 3 is partially obscured by the door frame/wall as he enters the room.  
5. When 9 rounds are fired, shooter stands and moves to second table.  (the living room)  You may not make up any missed shots in this stage.
6. Shooter reloads with second 9 round magazine.
7. Shooter engages 3 of the 5 threats, reloads with third magazine and engages remaining threats.  Shooter engages these threats standing.  You may use any remaining rounds to make up missed shots in this stage only.
    --a. Threat 4 is using two of your children as human shields.  
    --b. Threat 5 is partially obscured by the couch.  
    --c. Threat 6 is standing in the open.  
    --d. Threat 7 is using your third child as a human shield.  
    --e. Threat 8 is using the front door as cover and is partially obscured.
8. When all threats have been neutralized, shooter makes weapon safe and places on table.  Shooter then moves back to starting position and stops the stopwatch.

General Rules:

1. All threats require 3 shots to neutralize.
2. Shots will be scored according to the target as 0, -1 and -2.  A miss will be scored -5.
3. Any shots to non-threats will be scored as -10 each.
4. There will not be a ‘failure to neutralize’ penalty if a threat is not hit 3 times (beyond the -5 for each missed shot).
5. ‘Shoot-throughs’ will not count.  In other words, shooting through an obstruction will not be considered a hit on the threat.
6. First and second mags must be loaded with 9 rounds, third mag may have up to 15.  having more than 9 rounds in either of the first two mags (including mistakenly loading the mag at station 2) will result in technical penalty of -10.
7. Failure to remain seated for first 9 shots will result in a technical penalty of -10.
8. Each point penalty will result in the addition of .5 seconds to the shooter’s elapsed time.  Shooters will be ranked by overall elapsed time after penalties.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Ranges of all targets will be roughly between 5 and 20 yards.  I should be able to set up two sets of targets so we can do two people between each cease-fire.

I think you all will really like this...  Hopefully I can find a way to have a larger, more 'technical' course for one of our future shoots!
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:35:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:33:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Looks like a fun course. I have an electronic timer if you want to use it.

Also, what about shooters with guns that hold less than 9 rounds? I'll probably shoot my 1911 w/ 7 round mags.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:00:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Also, what about shooters with guns that hold less than 9 rounds? I'll probably shoot my 1911 w/ 7 round mags.

Mike

What about your duty side arm?  I believe you should have hi-caps for that
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Robert,

I have 19 body-size cardboard cut-outs at your deposal.

I don't have any pumpkins yet, but I usually do my pumpkin shopping at night.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Question for FMJ ...What weapons are to be used in this course, ie: handgun or rifle ????
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#49]

What about your duty side arm? I believe you should have hi-caps for that

I carry a Beretta at work. I shoot 1911s by choice. With small hands the 1911 is much easier to handle. The only "high cap" pistol that I like is the Browning Hi-Power.

Mike

edited because I spell worse than I shoot.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Mike

Thanks for the offer on the timer!  I only came up with the stopwatch bit because I didn't want to drop $130+ on a PACT timer this week...  Use of it would be much appreciated.

As for weapon choice, I honestly neglected to think of the 1911s.  (oh my GOD!)  We'll work it out so you can have even numbers and not have to change mags on a target.

Edited to add that it seems pretty clear you'll do a 3 and a 6 in the first stage followed by two 6s and a 7 in the second stage.  If there are any other 1911 shooters we'll score you all in a separate class as well as together with everyone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top