Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2003 8:04:42 PM EDT
I just heard today that the Orange County Sherriff's Department chose not to enter a bid for Knight's Range.  So, the winning bidder was Davis Sport Shop, Inc. of Sloatsburg, NY.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#1]
That's interesting. I used to shoot at Knight's all the time. George was a good guy, it's to bad he had to close. I had heard about the sheriff's department looking at it. I was hoping they wouldn't bid on it, if they got it I heard it would not be open to the public.

I'm in Davis's all the time, I'll have to ask them about this. It would be nice to have Knight's open again, I'm only 10min from there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Same here...Didn't even know Davis' was interested.

Davis' is nice, but...they usually don't have too much in the EBR crowd. They have the occasional neat thing, but...Bob's is usually better for that. Knight's was pretty good for that kind of stuff for a while, too. Then again, Knight's was competing with Bob in the gun area, and, well...Bob's as salty as they come He's pretty much got the lock on the Orange County rifle area of things.

I really missed the range, though. It was nice being able to shoot in the dead of winter, without having to attempt to slog it up to Black Rock.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, It's about friken time!!!!!!!!!!!! What's up Chris? Someone PLEASE let me know when the range is open again.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 3:38:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Firepower! How are things? Having you been playing with all those toys you got me from me!

Hey Evil_Ed, I was at Black Rock the other day with Gunny G. We did some shooting and he showed me around the place. I will be applying to Black Rock for membership soon. Gunny G said you shoot at Black Rock too. We'll have to get together sometime.

I like Davis's place, they have a nice selection, but their prices are high. Bob's has a good selection too. I was at Bob's yesterday to get some cleaning supplies.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Yah, Davis' is a big believer in The Book Of Gun Values...whereas Bob, so long as he makes money, you can wheel and deal with him.

Not many dealers up around where we are...gotta keep the good ones fed. I have no problems with that.

Yah, the middle of September (13th to the end of that week, the 21st) I'm on vacation, and I'll probably be up at BR most days. I'm gonna try and see if I can arrange a mini-meet somewhere in there. We can get 1 guest in per member, possibly 2 if it's no big deal (and it usually isn't)...we can probably get a few local folk up there with no problems. Especially if they leech off of us...they probably won't mind that.

So long as we all stick to the "oh, he's never tried guns before, wanted to have him try it out...and my other friend here, he wants to make sure neither of us forget any of the saftey regs, so we are a check-and-balance system..."

Always playing the system (until I lose),

Greg

Edited to add:

Davis' has a great stock of gun cleaning stuff, whereas Bob tends to have a smaller, "I know this shit works, why expand" selection. Not knocking either; I can still pick up the large bottles of Hoppes at either place However, I think Bob has a much larger selection of stuff, not to mention he gets in some pretty neat EBR toys every now and again. In the 2+ years I've been preusing Davis', I haven't seen too much...A pre-ban Bushmaster, and a Valmet they still have on the rack that hasen't sold, is pretty much it for notable can't-order-today rifles. However, Davis' DEFINITILY has the handgun lock; they're an authorized Kimber dealer, as well as having some other neat handguns. Bob can order stuff, but he's more into the aged collector/knowledgable gun person crowd, whereas  Davis' seems to be into the more streamlined "Read Guns'n'Ammo last week? We got it!" crowd.

My $0.02... (yah, Bob's thrown me several bones; gotta put the word in )
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The last bone Bob threw me was a like new preban Colt Hbar for $999.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Bob's good like that

He had a NIB (YES, NIB) Steyr AUG in some 6+ months ago. Apparently, he had my number and was about to dial, when someone walked in and picked it up. He knows I like the weird, unusual, and evil things

Never mind I have one, but NIB...for what he was asking ($3200!)...yo! I'd have done that.

He makes it up though. He got in a 200 or less round HK93. (Original grease proved that one ) Scope (not original HK), scopemount (original HK), 7 HK 25 round mags, original bipod, HK A2 and A3 stocks...NJ owner; sold it so he didn't have to register it. Out the door for less than $2800. Didn't even put it on the rack; he held it back for a week, waited for me to show up, and said "Hey Greg...hey, c'mere, you'd like this".

I swear, between my father and I, we pay his mortgage (if he even still has one... )

You pay for some of his goods retail, he throws a bone now and again. He's an awesome guy, and great to do business with. You know up front; half the time, you get shafted; the other half, he's going to take the hit...becuase, at the end of the day, it's worth it to him and you.

Has my "I Love Bob's Gun Exchange" bit gotten through yet, everyone?

Edited to add:

This was the guy I got my completly original Pre-Ban M1A Super-match from, dated late '80's (88? or so, according to Springfield)..for $1200. Looked unused, mostly. The bedding was pristine (I put on a synthetic stock, just because. The wood is for show/sale...not shooting.)

Yep. Super-match. GunnyG, you're a Marine; you tell me if it's that grade. I'll bring it up
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...This was the guy I got my completly original Pre-Ban M1A Super-match from, dated late '80's (88? or so, according to Springfield)..for $1200. Looked unused, mostly. The bedding was pristine (I put on a synthetic stock, just because. The wood is for show/sale...not shooting.)

Yep. Super-match. GunnyG, you're a Marine; you tell me if it's that grade. I'll bring it up

[whimper, drool, whimper, drool, whimper, drool, whimper, drool] I've always regretted selling my post ban M1A (to pay a bill), and after playing w/ 308_Scout's, umm....308 scout(!) M1A, I'm already jonesing! And now this too?

Just for the record, the oldest service rifle I've ever been issued and qualified with was a M-16A1!.....I just bought everything else I could!

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]
GunnyG, if need be, I can help you "qualify" on every service arm since the Civil War. It's in the collection.

This is what happens, when you have a father who collects.

*sigh* Someday, I'll get there myself...

I'll bring it up next time :)

Greg
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob's good like that

He had a NIB (YES, NIB) Steyr AUG in some 6+ months ago. Apparently, he had my number and was about to dial, when someone walked in and picked it up. He knows I like the weird, unusual, and evil things

Never mind I have one, but NIB...for what he was asking ($3200!)...yo! I'd have done that.

He makes it up though. He got in a 200 or less round HK93. (Original grease proved that one ) Scope (not original HK), scopemount (original HK), 7 HK 25 round mags, original bipod, HK A2 and A3 stocks...NJ owner; sold it so he didn't have to register it. Out the door for less than $2800. Didn't even put it on the rack; he held it back for a week, waited for me to show up, and said "Hey Greg...hey, c'mere, you'd like this".

I swear, between my father and I, we pay his mortgage (if he even still has one... )

You pay for some of his goods retail, he throws a bone now and again. He's an awesome guy, and great to do business with. You know up front; half the time, you get shafted; the other half, he's going to take the hit...becuase, at the end of the day, it's worth it to him and you.

Has my "I Love Bob's Gun Exchange" bit gotten through yet, everyone?

Edited to add:

This was the guy I got my completly original Pre-Ban M1A Super-match from, dated late '80's (88? or so, according to Springfield)..for $1200. Looked unused, mostly. The bedding was pristine (I put on a synthetic stock, just because. The wood is for show/sale...not shooting.)

That is why I have been afraid to walk in there lately.  You never know what he will have and that AMEX card is so easy to use without spending limits.  With this year's buying frenzy and my wife's full knowledge of the cost, I have had to cool my jets somewhat.  I have been relegated to FAL and AK kits.  (Honey, its cheaper to do it this way.)  Anyway, in January, I will be giving Bob my want list and the frenzy will start all over again.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone hear when the new knights range will be open? And is thier anylimit to whay types of guns can be shot in there....Brian
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Anyone hear when the new knights range will be open? And is thier anylimit to whay types of guns can be shot in there....Brian

When it was open, .243 was the limit on rifles, IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I know I've launched a few .308's from my AR-10 there, so I'm sure it was higher. But only time will tell!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I know I've launched a few .308's from my AR-10 there, so I'm sure it was higher. But only time will tell!

Come to think of it, you are right.  I was not sure so I erred on the side of caution.  As soon as the financial problems subside, I will be looking at Black Rock.  My FFL is a member there also.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
... I will be looking at Black Rock.

Give me a call if you want to go out there in the mean time!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#16]
GunnyG, the rest..

I'm on vacation

Been up Monday and Tuesday, and plan on heading up every day this week. Anyone wish to join me, if they can?

Either PM me, or if you happen to have my number, call me  Or, email me, [email protected]. I don't check mail that often (VACATION, HELLO)..but I do check it

Otherwise...I usually arrive at the range around 11-noon or so. Monday was .223 day, today was a little .308 day...I'll have to mix it up later

GunnyG, Just so you know..that M1A is an HBAR. It's freaking HEAVY for an M1A...but hot damn, it's dead on. Took it up today, as a matter of fact

I think tomorrow shall be a .30-06 day. And some other eclectic things..hrm, where did I stash that 7.92 Mauser, and that 7.62x54R...

Oh! Anyone need any 7.92 Kurtz? I have a line on a pile...original WWII manufacture and all that...For reloaders (especially those who happen to own an MP44 )...a cartridge or two might be invaluable
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That is why I have been afraid to walk in there lately.  You never know what he will have and that AMEX card is so easy to use without spending limits.  With this year's buying frenzy and my wife's full knowledge of the cost, I have had to cool my jets somewhat.  I have been relegated to FAL and AK kits.  (Honey, its cheaper to do it this way.)  Anyway, in January, I will be giving Bob my want list and the frenzy will start all over again.

He's got a good condition HK 911...fairly/very rare 91 variant, bought in just after the 89 ban..if you collect, it's a good buy...if you're looking for a shootable true 91, probably not your cup of tea, though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's got a good condition HK 911...fairly/very rare 91 variant, bought in just after the 89 ban..if you collect, it's a good buy...if you're looking for a shootable true 91, probably not your cup of tea, though.

I saw it.  Nice, but I have too many projects lined up right now.  An AK74 build, an AK47 build, an Imbel build, an Aussie L1A1 build and a Krink not necessarily in that order.  No shooting for me until I finish putting down the ceramic floor tile in my kitchen.  I have to keep the wife happy if I want to buy more toys.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:25:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
11-noon or so....30-06 day.

Noted.... See ya there!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Any word on when the range will be open?(knights)
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Last I heard is they are going to try and get it open soon.

As a side note. I talked to George Knight the other day, he MIGHT be working at the new range. Hope he does, he's a great guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top