Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2003 5:12:34 PM EDT
Just attempted to order some ammo from Midway and the computer would not take the order.  Got a message saying no ammo can be shipped to NY, wtf?  I figured it must be a computer glitch because of restrictions in NYC - so I called them up and tried to order by phone.  The nice gentleman on the phone very apologetically informed me that they can NOT sell mail order ammo in NY State.  He was unsure of the details but was adamant that the restriction applied state wide.  I have ordered ammo from them (and other out of state vendors) over the years with no problems at all.  Anyone have any insight into what may have changed?
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
A similar thing just happened with Keislers and if I remember correctly it has to do with thier interpretation of some law governing NYS ammo purchases.  This bears watching, I don't like the feel of these latest developments.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not support an ARFCOM member.  Buy your ammo from www.ammoman.com  He has no problem with shipping ammo to NY.  

Here's the other thread green18 was referring to.

Kieslers could lawfully sell NYS residents ammo, but they REFUSE!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=193884&w=searchPop
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
My last order with Midway was this month. I ordered about 20 boxes of Blackhills ammo. No problem whatsoever. Oh and I've purchased ammo from ammoman many times, but I've found that other places sell it for substantially less then he does. I don't want to pay shipping charges to Cali being just around the block from the guy.

Edited to add...

Where you ordering pistol ammo? Maybe that's the issue now. I've not ordered any pistol ammo from them recently.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep it's true, cept that law deals only with someone from NY state, not out of state mail order houses.. :)
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#6]
www.sportsmansguide.com and www.cheaperthandirt.com ship ammo to me on a regular basis
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#8]
You need an FFL to sell ammo? I have no idea what the feds might do, but, I know they can't be charged by NY.

edited to add..

Oh, I'm sure you could find a TC rifle chambered in 10mm or 40 s+w.. :)
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#10]
they actually looked to see what guns you have and just that you have a permit?
damn
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, Aimless that is unfuckingbelievable!  I would kindly inform them that they make 10mm uppers for the AR-15 rifle and they chambered Heckler and Koch carbines in it.  The law says they can not sell pistol ammo to someone without a permit but I have spoken to the State Police and they were clear, if there is a rifle chambered in it and you state you are buying it for a rifle they are to sell it to you.  Dick's tried to pull the 9mm crap on me a month ago and I said I was buying it for my Sub 2000 carbine and that I didn't need a permit to buy it.  The clerk apologized and said he had to ask but I was right.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 1:25:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Where you ordering pistol ammo? Maybe that's the issue now. I've not ordered any pistol ammo from them recently.

Nope, this was .308 caliber rifle ammo.  Only pistol that I can think of chambered for this is the Contender (or maybe the Remimgton - do they still make that?)

I have and do order from Eric the Ammoman but I was in the process of ordering some other stuff (reloading stuff) from Midway and decided to grab a can of the Aussie .308 I have been hearing so much about.  (Eric still doesn't have it in stock, btw).  I would not be surprised if this is the work of our scuzball Attorney General.  We all know how he stands on gun rights.

You are right that this will bear further watching.  As an aside - I do hold a valid NYS Pistol Permit for many years.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:32:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Can anyone tell me how to hot link this to the General Forum?  I think the more people who know about this ominous development the better.  If they can't get rid of the guns - make the ammo difficult and expensive to buy.

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me"
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Just tried to place on order for some ammo to test this out. It's a no go, comes up 'restricted address' just like bushman said. I called them on the phone and asked what was up. The guy explained to me that the computer system is not able to determine yet what countie/location in NY  has recently banned mail order sales of ammo/components so, until they get the system fixed they put all sales to NY on hold. He says they are working on fixing it and that its only temporary. It's all to do with a new law banning sales, as per him. Not the whole state mind you, but some countie that he didn't know the name of.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Since when are COUNTIES allowed to pass laws that restrict INTERSTATE commerce?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Since when are COUNTIES allowed to pass laws that restrict INTERSTATE commerce?

Why don't you be a smart fella and speak to them about it and fill us in. I'm sure you understood what I posted. That "MIDWAY" is saying this, not me.

NYC bans certain items, as does Albany, as does a number of others. Are they not Counties?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#19]
With regard to why the prohibition in the first place - the rep I spoke to on the night shift had no specific information.

I sent an email off to Midway customer service this AM to try and get details on this NY ammo ban - will keep you all informed of developments.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I wonder if he meant NYC. Isn't there a prohibition against possessing ammo if you are not licensed to possess a firearm in that caliber?

Yes there is. I believe it includes rifle ammo as well. It's based in administrative code, not penal law from the state. Kind of like the pl code that forbids sale of pistol ammo if you don't have a pistol permit for that particular round. I asked if he was meaning NYC, and his response was he didn't know for sure where in NY it was.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is the text of the reply I received from Midway - doesn't help much.  If I receive any additional info will keep you informed.

+ Mr. Callanan:

Thanks for your email.

We've recently been made aware of some shipping prohibitions and were forced
to suspend shipment of ammunition to California and Illinois.  I was unaware
of New York being added to that list.  

The problem lies in that our software is incapable of restricting shipments
to specific zip codes, e.g. NYC--we have to hold shipping to the entire
state.  Our engineers are working on a software upgrade to enable more
precise shipping restrictions.  We hope to have them available in a few
weeks.

To the best of my knowledge this is the answer to your question. I'm
forwarding your email to management in the event there are details to the
situation of which I'm unaware.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Brian
Customer Service
MidwayUSA
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Another reply from Midway - text follows:

+Dear Mr. Callanan,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.  I have checked with my supervisor about
this and our IS department is working on software so we can pick these
specific zip codes out.  We have to prove to the Attorney General that we
are in compliance and the only way to do this is through software.  I do
apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and please continue to check
with us about this issue.

If you have any further questions or comments feel free to contact us at
1-800-243-3220. Our office hours are Monday through Friday 8 am - 8 pm and
Saturday and Sunday 9 am - 5:30pm (CST). You can also visit us anytime at
MidwayUSA.com.

Your feedback is extremely important to us, it fuels our commitment for
continuous improvement and customer satisfaction.  Once again, thank you for
choosing MidwayUSA, we appreciate the opportunity to serve you!

Sincerely,

Andrea
MidwayUSA
Customer Service Associate+

There you have it - I had a feeling that slimey gun hating Spitzer was somehow involved!

Link Posted: 7/25/2003 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#23]
i just received via ups by 2 different ammo companies over 2000 rds of ammo .. to my door .. upstate ny ..  
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Another reply from Midway - text follows:

+Dear Mr. Callanan,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.  I have checked with my supervisor about
this and our IS department is working on software so we can pick these
specific zip codes out.  We have to prove to the Attorney General that we
are in compliance and the only way to do this is through software.  
I do
apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and please continue to check
with us about this issue.

If you have any further questions or comments feel free to contact us at
1-800-243-3220. Our office hours are Monday through Friday 8 am - 8 pm and
Saturday and Sunday 9 am - 5:30pm (CST). You can also visit us anytime at
MidwayUSA.com.

Your feedback is extremely important to us, it fuels our commitment for
continuous improvement and customer satisfaction.  Once again, thank you for
choosing MidwayUSA, we appreciate the opportunity to serve you!

Sincerely,

Andrea
MidwayUSA
Customer Service Associate+

There you have it - I had a feeling that slimey gun hating Spitzer was somehow involved!

Is Asshole Spitzer doing some kind of enforcement binge?  Maybe that's why midway and kieslers have dropped out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll put money on that POS spitzer has been contacting large mail order houses that sell to NY and threating them with lawsuits. There are no new laws here that I'm aware of. Other then the pistol ammo one, and the bans in NYC, Albany, etc. He want's proof that no sales are going to these places I bet. Fuck him!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I just ordered some ammo from Midway again. Seems they finally got their shit fixed. All of it done via the online website. Glad to see that they didn't cave into that dork spitzer!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top