Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2003 5:07:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2003 5:09:50 PM EDT by N_Viejo]
In case you guys didn't know, there is a military history museum in downtown Buffalo. I went yesterday and it was fuckin fascinating!

They have a small building with various rifles and field gear displayed from WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, and moden era.

Then they have 4 warships on display. One is drydocked it was a PTF-10 (I think!) that was a speedy little boat used in WW2. They used to sneak up on the japs in nighttime, launch a few torpedoes and turn tail and run away.

They also had a WW2 Admiral's Flagship in the water that was built in Niagara Falls. Also a WW2-era destroyer, and a WW2-era Submarine that was converted later to a Hunter-Killer type submarine that was diesel-electric.

You are allowed to go on any of the ships except the PT boat and check out all the workings. I tell you it was a fuckin amazing feeling to be standing in the "Admiral's Maproom" and realizing that I was in the very same room where historic naval battles were planned out and ordered in that war so long ago.

There are also some fighter aircraft on the grounds, and some APCs and amphibious personell carriers. Adult admission is a paltry $6.00.

Let me know if you want directions, or if you've ever been to the museum. I'll probably be going back later on to check it out more thoroughly. As it was, I already spent 4 hours there going through everything.

I particularly liked checking out the 5" and 6" guns. Screw those .50BMGs. Those are friggin mouse guns!!

-Nick Viejo.

Edit to add: If you are alergic to bees, definately take your epinephrin shot with you. There are hornets and wasps all over the place there. If you stay alert, you probably won't get stung, but be careful.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 8:40:39 PM EDT
is it the one with the USS The Sullivans, named after the brothers that all got killed on the same ship?
we spent the night on the missile ship they have there when I was in boy scouts
Top Top