Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2003 8:58:46 AM EDT
I remember hearing somewhere that we can have these. Anyone have the details?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Need a pistol permit, and cleo signoff. Only thing I know for sure you can get is a 2 or 3 shot pump 'very short' shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Im looking at a 10in, 3 shot, shotgun. The pistol permit is not a problem

Should I get in touch with the sherffs department (they are in charge of pps in madison county) or is it a statewide thing?

This is kinda what Im lookin at...

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a federal thing, I don't know the form number but.. you need a sign off from the 'chief law enforcement officer', pay the tax, wait for the approval from the feds, pick up your aow. If you can't get a signature you got a problem.. :)
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in redneck-ville NY. They already signed off on a C&R so it shouldnt be a problem.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
from what i gathered last time it was Smooth Bore AOWs only.  Serbu makes a nice shorty shotgun as do several others.  I remember their price being somewhere in the neighborhood of $600.  Im not sure if just any gun shop can transfer it to you or if you need a special class 3 guy.  Good news is the transfer is $5 instead of $200.  If you make the AOW yourself the tax will be $200 so its cheaper to buy from a dealer.  Now if we could only legally own suppressors here...
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Im looking at a 10in, 3 shot, shotgun. My mom has a pistol permit.

Should I get in touch with the sherffs department (they are in charge of pps in madison county) or is it a statewide thing?

This is what Im lookin at...

www.impactguns.com/store/media/kmc_masterkey.jpg

are you sure that is an AOW?  I was pretty certain AOWS are NOT meant to be fired from the shoulder
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#7]
From my understanding Hoplite is 100% right.  The only AOW allowed is that one shotgun design because it counts as a pistol to NYS.  To put a shoulder stock on a pistol is a major no no according to the National Firearms Act.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
From my understanding Hoplite is 100% right.  The only AOW allowed is that one shotgun design because it counts as a pistol to NYS.  To put a shoulder stock on a pistol is a major no no according to the National Firearms Act.

I am 100% sure that it is a Title 2 AOW.

No its not putting a shoulder stock on a pistol either.

I should of have said this before; the picture is not actually what Im looking at just very similar. Im looking at a Remington 870 under barrel shotgun. It mounts on a rail like lights and etc. int the same place as a M203.

Is there anyplace/person that could give me a definitive answer? Im thinking State Troopers mabey, they seem to be in charge of all the firearms stuff in NY.

[edited below]

From the info I can find its an AOW because:

3) Or is it a combination gun, a shoulder fired gun with both
rifled and smooth barrels between 12" and 18" long, and which has
to be manually reloaded?  Examples of this include the M-6 military
survival gun, with a single shot barrel in .22 Hornet, and a
companion .410 shotgun barrel, as well as most models of the
Marble's Game Getter.

But that still doesnt cover NY law.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Good luck with the State police!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I detect a hint of sarcasm
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#11]
This is considered a pistol here in ny, you can only do the shotgun one. Of course the shotgun must have been produced from the start as a pistol grip model, not a cut down stock. Unless your mother's pistol permit is administered by the NYS police they won't help you. You'll have to ask the licensing body in your county. I forget who's selling this but, it was all there on their website with regards to being legal in NY State. I'll try and find it again.

Ok found it, he details what new yorkers have to do to obtain one.. it's called an 8-ball

www.att-tactical.com/8ballaow.html

Look here as well..

www.att-tactical.com/NYSpistol.html
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:18:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

AFAIK the Mech-Tech Carbine Conversion Unit is legal in NY.

www.mechtechsys.com/index.html
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]
rkbar, the word CONVERSION means after you have done that it is no longer considered to be a pistol...  With a 16 inch barrel and a buttstock it is now a rifle.  Put a shoulder stock on your Glock 17 with a standard G17 barrel and you have committed a felony.  If it had the buttstock with a 16 inch barrel, voila, carbine!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Of course it's also not an AOW. This is the same thing that TC was doing with their pistols. Shoulder stock, and 16 in barrel made a carbine. But, they had trouble in the beginning with the ATF and had to fight them on it. It was eventually approved and legal.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#15]
HR, this was to illustrate that you can go from a pistol to a rifle and back to a pistol configuration. That's all.  

BTW, is B&J open yet?

Bullet: Nope, nothing to do with an AOW.

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the  info Bullet.

Kinda...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top