Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/2/2003 11:43:52 AM EDT
I found a gun I want to buy. I'm trying to make this a private sale. The seller is out in Eastern New York. Is there a law against him boxing up the gun and shipping it to me and I send him a MO? Or must a private sale be conducted "face to face?"

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:14:05 PM EDT
without a FFL you can't send a gun thru the mail except back to the manufacturer for repair.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:10:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 308wood:
without a FFL you can't send a gun thru the mail except back to the manufacturer for repair.

Well, maybe in Texas, where you're from. As for Federal regulations, I'm looking at the ATF webpage right now:
www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/qa.pdf

On page 10 of that document, questions B8 and B9 address this concern and at least on the Federal level, it seems the ATF has no problem with a "private sale by mail."

Read it for yourself. Now I'm wondering if there is a NYS law that pertains to this.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:31:06 PM EDT
im almost 100% positive that we cant do this due to state law. Just meet the guy half way like i did when i bought one of my ARs.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:52:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:17:52 PM EDT
To the best of my knowledge it's ok for individuals of the same state to ship between each other. I've been involved in a couple purchases this way. You could always consult section 400. of the state firearms laws.
If both partys are willing, go for it!
Handguns, are a whole diffrent matter, and that varies between counties.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:06:58 AM EDT
I "believe" you can ship a rifle within NYS, as I was told this by an FFL on Long Island who recently purchased a rifle from me. I have heard this from two other second-hand NY sources as well. Pistols are obviously a no-no.

I am however, not an expert in this area. Take my blather for what it is worth!
Top Top