Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2003 3:07:09 PM EDT
Gentlemen,
Finally got a chance to shoot at the club that I joined (sight unseen) in Ulster County, just north of Ellenville off Route 55.

100& (small) 200 yd. rifle, smallbore and pistol (looks about 50 ft.), Trap and skeet.

Rifle range has six tables in a shed with garage doors, four uncovered tables, plenty of room to spread out and shoot prone.

Clubhouse on site (I'll investigate rental), and RV hookups on the same property (again, further investigation req'd.)

Get this: FIVE other members besides me and Lorie over a 4 hour period. NO morons and best of all, NO LUNCH LADY.

I took pictures and will post them later. The club is open membership, no sponsor required. Best of all: $35 a year dues, $35 initiation fee.

That's right, for $70 initial cost, all you guys in the Hudson Valley can have a good place to shoot.

As far as a group shoot, this is the southern end of the area referred to as the Jewish Alps (Kaatskills). There are several state parks, numerous lodgings from small modest motels to full-blown spas and golf resorts. Camping, horseback riding, rock climbing, linear trails for biking, and hang gliding are all within 30 minutes.

I will recon further and post details as they become available.

So all you guys that wish you went to Calverton but just couldn't do 3-4 hours ride and back in a day have no more excuses!

The above message brought to you by the Helldog Travel and Tourism Corp.(Humble and Loveable), LLC, All Rights Reserved 2003.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
what exit off of the througway is this?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Take I-87 (NYS Thruway) north to exit 16.  Take Rte. 17 (Quickway, future I-86) northwest to exit 113. Then take Rte. 209 north to Rte. 55.  Helldog Travel and Tourism Corp., LLC can fill in the rest.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take I-87 (NYS Thruway) north to exit 16.  Take Rte. 17 (Quickway, future I-86) north to exit 113. Then take Rte. 209 north to Rte. 55.  Helldog Travel and Tourism Corp., LLC can fill in the rest.

Um, Raptor? I believe that 17 runs East/West? The "future 86" should have clued you: even number run E/W and odds run N/S.

Basically like Vic said: take NYS Thruway to Woodbury Commons exit (leave your girlfriend here, pick up in six hours, thus having a peaceful shooting day).

Go west for 30 or so miles until Route 17 bottoms out in the valley and turns 90 degrees, exit here.

North on 209 through Ellenville to Route 55 (listen for banjo playing "Deliverance" theme).

Turn left and go west on 55 to Sportsmans Rd.

Club entrance on left.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds nice Helldog - under 2 hour stint from Albany to the Ellenville area.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:21:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take I-87 (NYS Thruway) north to exit 16.  Take Rte. 17 (Quickway, future I-86) north to exit 113. Then take Rte. 209 north to Rte. 55.  Helldog Travel and Tourism Corp., LLC can fill in the rest.

Um, Raptor? I believe that 17 runs East/West? The "future 86" should have clued you: even number run E/W and odds run N/S.

Basically like Vic said: take NYS Thruway to Woodbury Commons exit (leave your girlfriend here, pick up in six hours, thus having a peaceful shooting day).

Go west for 30 or so miles until Route 17 bottoms out in the valley and turns 90 degrees, exit here.

North on 209 through Ellenville to Route 55 (listen for banjo playing "Deliverance" theme).

Turn left and go west on 55 to Sportsmans Rd.

Club entrance on left.

Sorry, it runs northwest/southwest through the eastern part of the state and east/west from the middle to the western end of NYS.  Give me a break.  It was four in the morning and I was dead tired.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:28:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool, do you happen to have an address.  I would love to check it out on mapquest.  I'm game for a get together, it should only be a 45 min drive from rockland county.

Plus you can't beat the price.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Sterling, I think it might be a little longer than an hour from Rockland (unless you live right on the Orange border) but not much further.

The address is "Sportsmans Road., Napanoch, NY, 12458-0305.

I find that the Rt. 211 exit in Middletown is convenient for me to stop at Denny's and WallyWorld for targets, clay birds, ammo, and anything else my dumb ass forgets in its haste . WARNING: have your lunch packed and all your supplies before you leave Route 17. There aree a few gas stations/minimarts and a Mickey D's in  Ellenville, but that's it.

Also: there are NO bathroom facilites at the range...(I'll have to check out the clubhouse) so it's bring a porta-potty or take an Imodium once you get past McDonald's.

As stated, more data as it becomes available.

I love the place so far, after only one visit, and for me, that's saying a lot...I guess I'm just anti-social but being away from the general public is best for me. Too many morons at government and public ranges the last ten years unless you rent the joint out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]
HEY I'M PLANNING ON VISITING THE FOLKS THIS WEEK-END THEY ARE IN ULSTER COUNTY ALSO BUT IN SAUGERTIES IF YA WANNA GET TOGETHER I'LL MEET YOU GUYS AND JOIN THE CLUB HELL I MAY JOIN ANYWAY. I LIVE IN NASSAU AND GO UP ONCE A MONTH TO SPEND SOME TIME WITH THE FOLKS MAYBE I'LL EVEN BRING MA DOWN TO CHECK OUT THE FUN. i'M NEW TO SHOOTING SO YOU GUYS WILL HAVE TO GUIDE ME.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Is this anywhere near greene county or Hwy 9W?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#10]
My family has a house in Margaretteville and that's nearby. I'm ok with the no facilities since we been working on this house forever and still no bathroom.
I have to check this place out especially at that membership rate.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
HEY I'M PLANNING ON VISITING THE FOLKS THIS WEEK-END THEY ARE IN ULSTER COUNTY ALSO BUT IN SAUGERTIES IF YA WANNA GET TOGETHER I'LL MEET YOU GUYS AND JOIN THE CLUB HELL I MAY JOIN ANYWAY. I LIVE IN NASSAU AND GO UP ONCE A MONTH TO SPEND SOME TIME WITH THE FOLKS MAYBE I'LL EVEN BRING MA DOWN TO CHECK OUT THE FUN. i'M NEW TO SHOOTING SO YOU GUYS WILL HAVE TO GUIDE ME.  

Mag162 - Welcome to the addiction.
The Balzac Graduation Soireee is this Saturday night, so I doubt I'll go up this weekend...the next weekend (and a LOT thereafter) is probably a good bet. I need to call the club officers and get my hands on an application form. With their permission, I'm going to form a "sub-club" named something like Hudson Valley Arfcom or Catskill Black Rifles or some such (I'm open to suggestions guys, let's hear 'em). This should allow us to "sponsor" events and, I believe, keep a portion of the proceeds for our own use (like maybe materials for target stands, targets, toilet paper and skeeter repellent.

Anyway, when I know it, you'll know it....I may try and load the application as a jpeg so you can download it, but like I said, I need to make my manners to those in charge first.

Tell your family, tell your friends, tell your neighbors, hell, grab a stranger on the street and tell them all about the possibilities here.....
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Helldog40,

How many guests can you have on the property, at any given time? Hint, Hint!

You know I've shot my wad on membership fees for the year! (BTW, for those interested, Black Rock Fish and Game is $480.00 for the 1st year and $90/yr after that. Good thing the clubhouse is 15 minutes from my front door!)

Semper Fi
Dave

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:13:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Gunny,

That "fifteen minutes" is worth the price of membership alone!

I can only have one guest at present, and STUPID me, instead of enrolling LOrie, so we could have TWO guests with us, I only enrolled myself. Duuuuhhh..

If you recall Dave, you were first on my list. Since you go to Blackrock, I had to bring my girlfriend.

I am investigating further...I may just buy a "group membership" for myself so I can at least have like four folks with us...I'll have to see.

Pictures should be loaded this weekend sometime.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Helldog40 -

Happy 4th of July.

Any updates?

Like it, dislike it?

Thinking about taking a drive up next weekend.

When's the next time you're going?

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Helldog40 -

Happy 4th of July.

Any updates?

Like it, dislike it?

Thinking about taking a drive up next weekend.

When's the next time you're going?

Happy 4th to you too Sterling.

I have been mondo-busy at work, then Bulletfest kicked my ass....I hope to get the rest of my unpacking done this weekend.

Next weekend I have a business meeting that will preclude any shooting. HOPEFULLY, the weekend after that we might get some trigger time. I have not received a membership application in the last two newsletters...I'll have to try calling the leadership for one. Once I get a blank, I'll put it in Acrobat form and make it available to anyone interested.

Further note: I hope to get the pictures posted this weekend too. Understand that the past  weeks I've had TWO of my computers (main AND backup) go $hit-the-bed on me and I have to do everything from my laptop: it's functional, but cramps my abilities in a big way. Sorry.

STay tuned for further updates.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Helldog,
Let me know when you go back up to the range, Ellenville is only 30 mins away for me. I should have my AR done soon. Also where can I find info for a membership?
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Helldog,
Let me know when you go back up to the range, Ellenville is only 30 mins away for me. I should have my AR done soon. Also where can I find info for a membership?
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Helldog,
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Helldog,
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:59:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Helldog,

Celticfozzie, I heard you the first time!
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Helldog,

Hey Helldog,

I think he wants to go.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Helldog,

Celticfozzie, I heard you the first time!

Helldog40 - please keep me updated, as well.  I'd love to try some new digs.  If it's close enough, I may join, too.

I hope you got this, as I only posted it once.

j/k, celticfozzie

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#23]
sorry about that my computer was freezing up on me, I hit reply to many times.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You know I've shot my wad on membership fees for the year! (BTW, for those interested, Black Rock Fish and Game is $480.00 for the 1st year and $90/yr after that. Good thing the clubhouse is 15 minutes from my front door!)

youch!

I forgot about that, they jacked the rates...being a returning member + doing the 5 hours of work per year = much cheaper rates

Yah, I live...well, I *Technically* live about 1.5 miles as the crow flies from the range itself. Said house is within walking distance, by road, of where the Angola Road enterance turns to a "Seasonal Highway"..

Alas, this last weekend was TOO DAMN HOT to go. 'Rents AC broke down, so staying there was out of the question...if this weekend is any good, I'm going to head up and try again. There's so many damn things I need to drag out and stoke up again...
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Evil_Ed,

I'm doing my best to amortize the initial cost!

I was out Sunday evening and tonight from about 6:30 until 8:00.

If I can work it right, I can be on the range by 3:00 tomorrow!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Just discovered the hometown boards.  

I've been in Rhinebeck for about a year now and loking for a range to shoot at.  

Ellenville is only about 45 minutes away from me.  

Does this range have a website, phone number or contact info?  What is the easiest way to join it?  Just show up and pay the fees the day you want to shoot?  What hours are they open?  Any ARFCOM shoots or gatherings scheduled?  TIA.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#27]
It is a small members only thing. There seems to be no actual "management" on-site. I've been trying to get in contact with the Officers, but it's tedious to say the least (I'm dealing with a PO Box here)

I promise - as soon as I know, I'll post.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks Helldog.  Looking forward to some "good" news when you can get it and pass it on.  It's been a year since I got to do some shooting so I'm going through serious withdrawl.  Also would love to meet a few of the other NY members when and if a shoot is scheduled.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 5:16:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Any updates?

Yes, I have (FINALLY) an application included in a newsletter. I will scan it and email it to anyone interested...send me an IM or an email message.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top