Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 1:01:22 PM EDT
Looks like I'll be spending more time in the city in the next few months taking a summer class and all. I'm also getting ready to build myself my first AR, and was wondering if it's legal to ship any of the parts, uppers, or pre-ban mags to the city, or should I just have them sent to my girlfriend in CT or my home upstate?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
AR15s and hicaps are illegal in NYC.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#2]
AR15 parts are illegal in New York City.  The assault weapons bill defines an assault weapon as, among other things, any part or combination of parts which can be used to make an assault weapon.

Plus, possession of any rifle (assault weapon or not) requires a city permit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
It is also illegal in NYC to possess a magazine unless you have a registered long or hand gun that uses that magazine. Rifles/shotguns are restricted to 5 rounds and pistols are restricted to 17 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what I thought, to upstate or CT it is! Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:22:06 AM EDT
[#6]
No it is not illegal, All the Mail order companies will ship to NYC as long as it is not Something that NYC specifically restricts Such as some of those Exotic Shotgun Rounds that are flammable. However a AR lower cannot be shipped to you or a dealer in NYC as Lower is the Rifle.

When i registered my Ruger P89 Back in 1996, i told the Police Officer Doing the inspection at one Police Plaza that the 2 Mags with the Gun in The Case Were High Cap 15 round mags he just shrugged his shoulder as if he couldnt care less, i also listed on the registration papers that the "capacity" of the Gun were 15 rounds NYPD never gave me a Problem with this.

NYPD can be very complicated to deal with, e.g. a few years ago i asked about registering a SKS or a MINI 14 i were told that i could not register either one in NYC, Now i understand that dealers are actually selling MINI 14's in NYC.
NYC rules like the Federal Rules are just too Difficult to Properly enforce, because of that Most Police Agencies dont Pay Much attention to the Minute Unclear Firearms laws, most dont know what to make of them, nowadays if you past the NICS check its good enough for them.

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No it is not illegal, All the Mail order companies will ship to NYC as long as it is not Something that NYC specifically restricts Such as some of those Exotic Shotgun Rounds that are flammable.

Not true.  Some places, like Cabelas, don't ship any ammo to NYC.

However a AR lower cannot be shipped to you or a dealer in NYC as Lower is the Rifle.

Uppers are illegal under the Administrative Code as parts which can convert a gun to an assault weapon.  Even though it is not considered a firearm.

When i registered my Ruger P89 Back in 1996, i told the Police Officer Doing the inspection at one Police Plaza that the 2 Mags with the Gun in The Case Were High Cap 15 round mags he just shrugged his shoulder as if he couldnt care less, i also listed on the registration papers that the "capacity" of the Gun were 15 rounds NYPD never gave me a Problem with this.

That's because pistol magazines of up to 17 rounds that fit flush in the gun are not illegal.  However, any rifle mag of more than 5 rounds is very illegal.

NYPD can be very complicated to deal with, e.g. a few years ago i asked about registering a SKS or a MINI 14 i were told that i could not register either one in NYC, Now i understand that dealers are actually selling MINI 14's in NYC.

An SKS is probably illegal because most have bayonets or grenade launcher rings, which make them as assault weapon under NYC rules.  Mini 14 should be OK, but if they give you grief IM me and I'll give you some options to deal with them.

NYC rules like the Federal Rules are just too Difficult to Properly enforce, because of that Most Police Agencies dont Pay Much attention to the Minute Unclear Firearms laws, most dont know what to make of them, nowadays if you past the NICS check its good enough for them.

Actually, the NYPD automatically assumes any gun or gun part you have is illegal, so it's a good idea to make sure you are 100% complying with the law.  Otherwise, you will be before the DA like that guy in Queens.  (He had 50 illegal weapons in his house, big press release and TV coverage.  Later it turns out every gun he had was legal.)

Sorry to take exception to so much of your post, but I've suffered under the rules for a while and am pretty familiar with them at this point.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Yah Phila steen you are so right About NYPD always assume that Everything Firearms related is illegal.

I am familiar with the case you mentioned, turned out that the Guy was a Lawyer who really knew his rights, He was betrayed by His Girlfriend who he had an Argument with that night, seem like the Moronic Girlfriend too assumed that all Guns in NYC is illegal.

So are they really selling Minis in NYC or What?  
s3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top