Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2003 10:32:42 AM EDT
Just curious to see if any fellow Jersians would be interested in a 10 round mag group purchase hopefully to get the cost down to $11-12.  

I used to buy 20 rounders and plug them to 10 rounds, but with the uncertainty of the laws, its just not worth it.

Email me or post a response
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Instead or ruining perfectly good 20 rounders why not just buy 10 rd mags. Leave the 20 rounders for people who can have 20 rnds. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Instead or ruining perfectly good 20 rounders why not just buy 10 rd mags. Leave the 20 rounders for people who can have 20 rnds. Just a thought.

Ah, that's the point.  It's a 10 Round Mag buy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just curious to see if any fellow Jersians would be interested in a 10 round mag group purchase hopefully to get the cost down to $11-12.  

I used to buy 20 rounders and plug them to 10 rounds, but with the uncertainty of the laws, its just not worth it.

Email me or post a response

What is the MAKE, QUALITY,NEW ,USED and is it from someone reputable ? BTH
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Whoops misread it. My bad.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I may be interested. Have the same questions as Bobby_the_Hun.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#6]
according to the FFL I deal in NJ, it is completely legal to have blocked hi caps in NJ
provided they are all preban
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I contacted Bushmaster today and have not heard anything of as of yet.  My dealer is looking into his price.

555R, you are correct.  As long as the mag is blocked to 15 rounds it is legal in NJ, but that may change soon.  There was a provision made in NJ State law to only allow permanently blocked mags to 10 rounds, which the courts ruled against, but this too can be reversed.  So it can go either way.  But here's the BS.  Legally we, meaning NJ residents, can not have 20 round mag shipped directly to ourselves.  I asked a postal inspector about receiving 20 round mags and he said if the state does not allow the possesion if this item, it will be considered contriband.  Plus, if the post office ships them to you, that is another offense.   All alterations have to be done by the dealer or manufacturer.

In actually buying good condition 20 round mags costs about $20 and new $25.  If I can only have 15 rounds per mag as state law dictates, I would prefer to get (2) new 10 round mags versus 1 new 20 round mag and have to block the damn thing.  It's much more cost effective to buy the 10 round mags and also gives you a greater peace of mind.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't care for 20 or 30 round mags because I don't feel like messing with a perfectly good mag.  Also I have started shooting service rifle and I had rather have a good reliable 10 round that has not been "modded".  I even drove to the Harrisburg show to look for some mags.  I found a decent 20 round that looked new but I got it home and it will not drop from my Bushmaster and it cost me several points in my first match this past weekend.  I tried to get a new Bushmaster 10 round but I waited for 4 weeks and it never came...something about a backorder.

So I would be interested in new well made functioning 10 rounders.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#9]
its not that hard to block a mag
takes about 5-10 minutes of trial and error plus the block fits inside the spring(at least the ones I had made) and not under the spring so no increased spring tension
works like a charm plus I like the look of the larger mags
just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#10]
555R, I do not want this to turn into a pissing match if you have read the posts thoroughly, you will see there are legal concerns involved and cost effectiveness issues.

Well if you have to convert (10) 20 round mags, that an hour or more of shooting time you have wasted.  Plus it is very difficult to modify a 20 round mag by plugging it when you want to use the improved green followers, such as the 10 round Bushmaster mags have.

Cost effectiveness prohibits the use of 20 rounders.  Would rather have (20) perfectly functioning 10 round mags versus (10) rigged 20 round mags any day.

Foremost, New Jersey residents can not have hi-cap mags shipped directly to them.  If you do, you are breaking the law.  Now you are paying a dealer to modified the mag for you, hence increasing the cost.  Your $.02 is now $30.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, regardless of the legalities of blocking mags, if the group buy can get 10 rounders down that low I'll take 5 or so.. I'd hate to have to argue the legality of a blocked mag with a trooper up on 80 one dark and stormy night.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Count me in for 2 or 3.  I have the advantage of working down south so I have been able to pick up several 20's and 30's and mod'ed them before bringing them home but it is always in the back of my mind when some guy I do not know walks up to me on the range and tells me "Them 30's ain't legal in NJ doncha know".  I know that I am legal but the pure hassle factor is a pain in the a$$.
Keep us posted.
ka
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm in for ~ $50 worth of new 10 rounders.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm NJ...

This is so sad.

There is NO legal issue

Get Pre-ban 30 round magazines (like the rest of the country), and have them blocked.  A bic pen works (the shell, take ink out!) for a 13 to 14 round magazine, very reliable.

When the Ban Sunsets, you take out the block (Block may be Temporary or Permenant), and now you have your investment back... or in a SHTF scenario, the block comes out, you are good to go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm NJ...

This is so sad.

There is NO legal issue

Get Pre-ban 30 round magazines (like the rest of the country), and have them blocked.  A bic pen works (the shell, take ink out!) for a 13 to 14 round magazine, very reliable.

When the Ban Sunsets, you take out the block (Block may be Temporary or Permenant), and now you have your investment back... or in a SHTF scenario, the block comes out, you are good to go.

OK....?  How do you get 30 round mags?  Technically it is illegal to receive any hi-cap mag in this state that has not been blocked prior to your possession.  

You receive these mags, you just broke the law.  Good job!  If it was legal to buy your own 20's or 30's in New Jersey and block them yourself, why don't gun dealers in NJ sell them?

Because they CAN'T!  It's illegal!

Oh, the thing on the AWB.  Does not apply to NJ residents.  State laws supercede federal laws pertaining to firearms and others and since the state of New Jersey has issued a "substantially identical" provision back in 1997, (2) of the (6) following are allowed on semi-automatic rifles and no more.  Add to that all clips or mags are not to exceed 15 rounds as a maximum.

1.  Dettachable mag
2.  Pistol Grip
3.  Grenage launcher
4.  Bayonet Lug
5.  Flash Hider
6.  Collapdible Stock

Your choice, choose wisely!

Sorry, but that's some really bad advise.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd like to see someone manufacture 15 rd mags if its cost effective and no major retooling in the assembly line.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'd like to see someone manufacture 15 rd mags if its cost effective and no major retooling in the assembly line.

Why? They'd still be LEO/GOV'T only.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#18]
As I understand the nj law, no mag caps above 15 rd. for civilians. Why would LEO/GOVT have 15rds when they can have 20 & 30rd. I gotta read it again. Thanks for bringing it up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#19]
IIRC, Sarco in Stirling sells 30rd mags that have been blocked to 15rds.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Depending upon price I'm in for a few (4 - 6).

A few points:

Nothing in the statue states that you can block a mag. It comes forma an opinion from the AG.

When the Federal Ban sunsets it will have no effect on NJ law.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Depending upon price I'm in for a few (4 - 6).

A few points:

Nothing in the statue states that you can block a mag. It comes forma an opinion from the AG.

When the Federal Ban sunsets it will have no effect on NJ law.

Mike

No where does it state that you cannot block a mag, either. The law list things you can not do, not things you can do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm in for 2 or 3 if they are quality.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Got word back from Bushmaster and was not impressed with theie pricing, not at all.

100 units (+ freight) @ 13.45 per mag.  Not much of a savings.  But this price was not the dealer price.  I asked for dealer pricing, but since I'm not a dealer, they would not give it to me.  I am going to see what my local FFL can get them for next.

Another course of action would be to change the mag maker.  Go to a polymer mag?  Anyone have experience with another 10 round mag they thought were well made and functioned without incident?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Another course of action would be to change the mag maker.  Go to a polymer mag?  Anyone have experience with another 10 round mag they thought were well made and functioned without incident?

My steel Armalite 10 rounders function real nice. They came with my AR180B. They list for $16.

The key to ANY deal is to get dealer pricing.

[Edited to add]

My plastic DPMS mags SUCK! The feed lips cracked the first day at the range.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
But here's the BS.  Legally we, meaning NJ residents, can not have 20 round mag shipped directly to ourselves.

Yes we can if they have a dowle dropped in before they reach us.

I'm sorry but I have to clear a few of these misconceptions up, Not trying to be confrontational at all, I spend a good deal of time doing research and I try and clear these up when I can.
It's also not against any law fed or otherwise for someone to ship you a whole case of pre-ban high caps, it's the person in New Jersey who is held accountable for the possession of those mags here in jersey.

Quoted:
I asked a postal inspector about receiving 20 round mags and he said if the state does not allow the possession if this item, it will be considered contraband.  Plus, if the post office ships them to you, that is another offense.

That is 100 percent incorrect, the post office can only enforce federal statues and postal regs,PERIOD!

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#26]
There is a gun show on june 14-15 at valley forge sheraton . I go 3 or 4 times a year to that show. You can get what ever you need there also. I,m sure the venders would make a quantity deal. Just a idea.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#27]
i was going to suggest looking into bushmaster for the 10 rounders
their mags work great
they look like cut down 30s
check a local ffl and see if he can do something for our AR15.com members
I can ask mine also about it
as it is
I am getting legal 15 round hi caps for my glock
that outta be fun
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey, I dont know if you guys have anybody helping you out right now but I researched the 10 round mags a little bit for fun.

I'll hook you guys up with dealer pricing if you like.

If the whole gang can decide on one style mag and then how many total, let me know.  I'll get you the best price I can.

Two to choose from

DPMS waffle mag priced about $15:

or

MWG polymer mag, running right around $11:

If you guys like one of the two, email me at [email protected]

www.odinarms.com
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#29]
OK guys, here is the newest deal from John Masen for his 9 round mags:

We can help you out with that. Quantities of 100 or more of the 9 rd would run you 8.00 each plus shipping. That price is usually for dealers, but on such a large purchase, we would work with you.
Claudia

Here's a pic of the mag:

$8.00 plus shipping. Not bad at all.  If the rest of this holiday weekend is as profitable for me as it was Thursday and Friday night,  I may just go ahead and order the 100 mags. At this price I am thinking each mag will cost a little over $9.00 a pop.  Depends on the primary and secondary shipping costs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Is there a source for Post Ban 10 rounders that mimic the profile of the pre ban 20 or 30 rounders?  The blocked mags are ok, but I still get that tingle on the back of my neck when I see somebody eying my mags at the range.  As for the 10 rounders (the stubbies), I just do not like the short profile.  Call me a mag geek but I just like the look of the 30's.

ka
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I get my 30 rd mags from out of state (Penn and Utah... go to school in Penn, father lives in Utah).  I block them and bring them home.

NJ law says the magazine cannot accept more than 15 rounds.

With the bic pen installed, the magazine cannot accept more than 15 rounds.  It's not a quick flip to remove it.  The magazines are of course pre-ban to begin with, meeting federal requirement.

It's an annoyingly unclear issue (if blocked is okay or not, and how blocked is blocked), and hopefully one one of us will not have to write about while being prosecuted.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Oh yeah, like a doof when I was shipping my AR and Ruger 10/22 through the airport, I put magazines (and urban camo, and ski masks (being December) in my big carry on.  Yeah, not so smart, but it was my only bag.  Anyway, the freaked at AR mags (1x 30 and 1x 10), and cop came over and everything.  I said everything was legal and properly blocked.  

Was given no problems.  =)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top