[#2]
I will just order the non oem copy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I will just order the non oem copy.
View Quote

That's what I would probably do.  As much as I always prefer OEM - the ratings on this copy look like its worth it.... and save $20 off OEM.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Order placed.
I will get the breaker and romex from Home Depot.
15’ of 10ga 3 wire. Right?
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I meant between the OEM and the one he linked to.
I have a Square D Homeline panel.
View Quote

Sorry, misunderstood your question.  Glad you got one ordered.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Order placed.
I will get the breaker and romex from Home Depot.
15’ of 10ga 3 wire. Right?
View Quote

Yes on the gauge.  I used 10-2 romex but it came with a ground wire, so technically it was three wires.  I also was doing a 3 prong inlet so it worked perfectly.  If you're doing a 4 prong outlet, believe you'll need 10-3 romex with a ground, so total of 4 wires.

@FALARAK, keep me honest.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
You need 10/3 romex.

That's 3 insulated conductors and a ground.

I dont know how many feet you need..... it just depends on where you are mounting your inlet.  If you only need a few feet you can buy it by the foot and save some money.  However, most places are sold out of many sizes of romex that I have looked.... good luck!  

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You need 10/3 romex.

That's 3 insulated conductors and a ground.

I dont know how many feet you need..... it just depends on where you are mounting your inlet.  If you only need a few feet you can buy it by the foot and save some money.  However, most places are sold out of many sizes of romex that I have looked.... good luck!  

View Quote

Thanks. I will check tomorrow for romex.
My order from Amazon will be here Wednesday.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Damn, who installed that?

Is it even straight?

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Damn, who installed that?

Is it even straight?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I may be holding my phone crooked.
An electrician installed that for me years ago. My old panel was really small. He installed this over the old panel.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]
After reading some of the questions on this post may I recommend some of you hire a qualified electrician for this hookup.  I would hate to read about one of you getting fried or burning down your house.  I have wired several houses and my shop but once I get inside the breaker box, all SquareD, I call in the experts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#12]
@Falarak did you use s standard breaker or an arc fault breaker?
I was just going to buy a standard breaker.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Standard.  Just like my links show.  The part number I used is in the link.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a homeline panel. Your link is for a QO breaker.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DOH!  Yeah you are right.  :-)
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem. I knew to buy a Homeline. I just didn’t know if I needed an arc fault or just s standard.
I bought s standard.
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Did @pepperbelly die or what
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did @pepperbelly die or what
View Quote

Not dead yet. I have honestly been hoping romex price would drop. A 15’ length is $65 at HD.
I have a hole made to pass the extension cord through into my garage and a cover. I have everything but the romex.
It is getting to the time of year it might come in really handy too. I should finish it by this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Any update?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any update?
View Quote

No. We got distracted by some other stuff going on. Our friend hasn’t had time to look for the wire I need. It sounds like he is so busy he hasn’t been in the shop for a while.
I will get it wired in before the spring storm season hits.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#21]
What’s the latest @pepperbelly?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What’s the latest @pepperbelly?
View Quote

I got the wire. I just need to get it wired from the breaker box to the outlet. Had a few too many distraction but I should finish later this week.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When using a 120V generator and a special bridging cable for the two hots, you supply 120V to EACH side of the panel, but not out of phase.  Therefore - nothing that uses 240V will work.  However, ANYTHING that uses 120V works fine.  You can control which circuits get power simply by flipping the breakers.
View Quote

Feeding the manual transfer switch breaker from the L14-30 inlet box from the generator I know all of the 240V circuit breakers have to stay off, but what about 120V circuit breakers that are dual lug?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Someone is going to die of old age before this gets installed.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Feeding the manual transfer switch breaker from the L14-30 inlet box from the generator I know all of the 240V circuit breakers have to stay off, but what about 120V circuit breakers that are dual lug?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When using a 120V generator and a special bridging cable for the two hots, you supply 120V to EACH side of the panel, but not out of phase.  Therefore - nothing that uses 240V will work.  However, ANYTHING that uses 120V works fine.  You can control which circuits get power simply by flipping the breakers.

I'm not familiar with what you are talking about.  Example?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every time I mess with my generator or a storm comes in, I remember this thread and bump for an update.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah yeah yeah. I’ll get it done. You don’t need to nag me every 3 months.
??
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I have 5 portable generators in my garage right now and the electrician tried in our 80KW generator last November.

NOT ONE FRIGGIN POWER OUTAGE SINCE.

NOT EVEN A BLINK.

I need to break out the two oldest portables and put them up for sale. Then armagedon was bust loose.

I decided to sell my old truck too. Still fully insured. The hail storms seem to be dodging my area when I leave it outside.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have 5 portable generators in my garage right now and the electrician tried in our 80KW generator last November.

NOT EVEN A BLINK.

I need to break out the two oldest portables and put them up for sale. Then armagedon was bust loose.

I decided to sell my old truck too. Still fully insured. The hail storms seem to be dodging my area when I leave it outside.
View Quote

Holy shit, are you me?

Kept full coverage on my 05 waiting for the next hail storm. Blew the rear diff first... had to get a new truck.

Had my generator wired to the house since march 2021. Not a blink.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Holy shit, are you me?

Kept full coverage on my 05 waiting for the next hail storm. Blew the rear diff first... had to get a new truck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOT EVEN A BLINK.

Holy shit, are you me?

This seems to be the way.  

Mine would go out on a breezy day (not like today in N TX) or if a squirrel takes a leak on the wire.  Then I got a generator and it's been used maybe twice in the last 8 or so years.

Jester

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#32]
It finally happened this morning and it worked perfectly. I was driving to the doctor's office and got a notification through Ring that power went out. A minute later I got a notification that power was back on. I didn't think much about it. I was picking up a few things for work after and got a call at 11 that the generator was still running.

So I drive over and check it out. We're on 3 phase and the generator is running and is still switched over as the supply. City power is disconnected.

2 - 120v legs and running 125v at the main.

The Delta leg (230v) is running 135v.

So the transfer switch knew the delta leg was bad and kicked the whole thing out.

Oncor said it would be a few hours before they could get it restored. We had plenty of diesel and we were only pulling 33KW on an 80KW unit, so we just let it run and we left to go back to our main facility.

About 2:30 we got a call from Oncor saying power had been restored and if we had issues to contact our electrician. We called the other facility to check on their status. Sure enough, transfer switch switched the load and the generator had just shut down.

Awesome. Just fucking awesome.

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah yeah. I have been putting it off.
I did replace my water heater. ??
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Bump since my quarterly generator check reminder went off and I’m trying to hold @pepperbelly accountable
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bump since my quarterly generator check reminder went off and I’m trying to hold @pepperbelly accountable
View Quote

Lol. I still haven’t installed the breaker. Ever since it warmed up this has been on the back burner. I did rebuild my washing machine.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So you wait until there is a power outage, then work on it, right ?!?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. I still haven’t installed the breaker. Ever since it warmed up this has been on the back burner. I did rebuild my washing machine.

So you wait until there is a power outage, then work on it, right ?!?!

Well, that is a pretty big clue. ??

I just went yhrough a pretty bad med scare. Things should settle down now, maybe I will remember that that chore is waiting for me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a dual fuel generator and will only run it on propane.  recent power failure for 11 hours, ran the generator for about half of the time.  Ran the refrigerator, TV, computer, light, router.  All I really need since it was overnight.  Have a portable AC unit I can move from living room to bedroom.  I did a bit of rewiring to run the furnace part of the central AC in winter.  Generator is a Champion 3500W Inverter Dual Fuel.  On this outage only used a couple pounds of propane from a 15 pound bottle.

Also had the propane company run a line from my house propane tank for longer outages.

This works for me as a single guy with a dog and cat.

Now, the question.  I have one 15 pound and two 20 pound bottles.  How do you recommend it be stored?  Right now one 20 is full, one empty, 15 pound half full.  the ones with propane are under the grill under an overhang sorta carport off the garage that is open on two ends and mostly open on the third.  There are other things around the grill but still pretty good ventilation.  Truck only fits up to the windshield.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a dual fuel generator and will only run it on propane.  recent power failure for 11 hours, ran the generator for about half of the time.  Ran the refrigerator, TV, computer, light, router.  All I really need since it was overnight.  Have a portable AC unit I can move from living room to bedroom.  I did a bit of rewiring to run the furnace part of the central AC in winter.  Generator is a Champion 3500W Inverter Dual Fuel.  On this outage only used a couple pounds of propane from a 15 pound bottle.

Also had the propane company run a line from my house propane tank for longer outages.

This works for me as a single guy with a dog and cat.

Now, the question.  I have one 15 pound and two 20 pound bottles.  How do you recommend it be stored?  Right now one 20 is full, one empty, 15 pound half full.  the ones with propane are under the grill under an overhang sorta carport off the garage that is open on two ends and mostly open on the third.  There are other things around the grill but still pretty good ventilation.  Truck only fits up to the windshield.
View Quote

I only store propane outside - never in a garage.  Under a carport is just fine.  I have a plastic rubbermaid shed outside on the side of the house that stores my mower, 20 gallons of ethanol free gas, and 6 20lb propane grill tanks.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top