Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 29
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#1]
GOA email I received today

Is Dan Patrick trying to sabotage Constitutional Carry?

The Texas House passed a strong Constitutional Carry bill (HB 1927) a week ago in a decisive 87-58 bipartisan vote. 

But instead of immediately moving HB 1927 forward in the Senate, Lt. Governor Patrick secured the votes Thursday to suspend the rules and file his own poison pill version of Constitutional Carry, SB 2224 – over a month past the filing deadline. 

SB 2224 is confusing and complicated. It creates profiling regulations that will burden law-abiding gun owners. 

This is an insult to everyone who worked so hard to get Constitutional Carry over the finish line in the House. We cannot support SB 2224 with its poison pills. And we cannot condone a process that starts all over from the beginning with a new bill.

But here's some more important news: The Lt. Governor has created a new Senate committee, the Special Committee on Constitutional Issues.  The commmittee membership is very favorable to Constitutional Carry. HB 1927 has been referred to this committee, and we expect it to have a hearing next week.

We encourage this committee to focus on moving HB 1927 forward as the most efficient path to passing Constitutional Carry in Texas. Time is ticking down, and there is no need to waste time sending a new bill to the House when the House has already done the heavy lifting to pass a strong bill.

We call on Lt. Gov. Patrick to use his position to secure the necessary votes and pass HB 1927 in the Senate without delay.

HB  1927 is a true Constitutional Carry bill because it restores firearms carry freedoms and ensures that law-abiding Texans have the protection of law.

Contact Lt. Governor Dan Patrick & your State Senator NOW!

Use our contact form to write your own message NOW to Lt. Gov. Patrick and your State Senator.  

Here is a sample message that you can edit for your own use:

Hi, I am a member of Gun Owners of America. I urge you to publicly show your strong support for HB 1927, true Constitutional Carry. Lt. Governor, I am confident you can find the votes to get it to the Senate floor. This is not the time to be filing a new bill – please make it a priority to pass HB 1927 quickly in the Senate.

Please add your own personal reasons why you support Constitutional Carry. Remember it is much more effective when you use your own words.

This is quick and easy – but it can make a huge difference.

Check the list below to see if your Senator has already supported Constitutional Carry. If they have, be sure to thank them and encourage them to stay strong in their support for HB 1927. Otherwise, urge them to make a public statement in support of true Constitutional Carry, HB 1927.

Email them NOW!

Does your Senator support Constitutional Carry?

The following State Senators have made a public statement in support of Constitutional Carry—some of them specifically supporting HB 1927. We thank them for their leadership and commitment to stand up for your right to keep and bear arms:

Senator Bob Hall (R – SD 1)Senator Bryan Hughes (R – SD 2)Senator Brandon Creighton (R – SD 4)Senator Angela Paxton (R – SD 8)Senator Kelly Hancock (R – SD 9)Senator Lois Kolkhorst (R – SD 18) Senator Brian Birdwell (R – SD 22)Senator Dawn Buckingham (R – SD 24)Senator Charles Perry (R – SD 28 )Senator Drew Springer (R – SD 30)

Time is ticking away. The session ends on May 31, and HB 1927 needs to go through the committee process QUICKLY so we can see it through to the Senate floor! 

There is not a moment to waste. Please take action immediately and then share this alert with all of your pro-gun friends and family so they can also contact the Lt. Governor and their own State Senator.

In Liberty, 

Rachel Malone 
GOA Texas Director 

Felisha Bull
GOA Texas Deputy Director 

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I explained my thoughts to my Senator via email this morning. Nichols in Jacksonville. He needs a wake up call on this issue.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, just a quick skim but my first impression is that SB 2224 is probably the best constitutional carry bill that Lt. Gov. Patrick is willing to pass; but he is willing to pass it this session.

GOA was rather vague on what they considered the “poison pill” but the big difference appears to be that HB1927 offered a lot of legal protections to citizens carrying handguns to prevent them from being harassed by local police and SB 2224 is substantially weaker there.  SB2224 also makes possessing a firearm as a felon a 1st degree felony (vs. 3rd] and 3rd degree (vs. Class A).  SB2224 also makes lying on a form 4473 (or any other federal/state firearms form) a state level crime - meaning Texas can prosecute you for lying on a 4473 even if the feds don’t.

All in all, SB2224 isn’t near as nice as HB1927; but I wouldn’t call it a poison pill.  My guess is the House would vote for it (assuming no procedural/delay/etc. involved, which is a BIG assumption) if it gets a vote there.  And for that matter, I probably would too.  There is nothing in it that's a deal killer on its face and you can always go back and chip away at the BS later - though passing HB1927 is still a much better deal.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't want to muddy up this thread with "I called my senator posts" but I called my Democrat representative and asked him to support HB 1927.  I'm sure it falls on deaf ears but...

I called Donna Campbell's office and asked for her to support HB 1927.  I am surprised that she has not shown her support at this point.  

Thank you to everyone for your hard work and for encouraging me and others to call their and other Senators to get this long over due bill passed in Texas.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't want to muddy up this thread with "I called my senator posts" but I called my Democrat representative and asked him to support HB 1927.  I'm sure it falls on deaf ears but...

I called Donna Campbell's office and asked for her to support HB 1927.  I am surprised that she has not shown her support at this point.  

Thank you to everyone for your hard work and for encouraging me and others to call their and other Senators to get this long over due bill passed in Texas.  

View Quote

Both Campbell and Schwertner have been very evasive on CC/HB 1927. Both have previously been good on guns, Campbell especially, pushing reducing the LTC cost from $140 to $40, not requiring the LTC class for renewal. If contacting her tell her in most states with Constitutional Carry the level of seeking training goes up.

The Texas LTC class leaves a lot to be desired. To learn the laws a online class is fine. For shooting, if you are just lightly experienced I can recommend a lot better classes than the LTC test of shooting at a slow pace standing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, just a quick skim but my first impression is that SB 2224 is probably the best constitutional carry bill that Lt. Gov. Patrick is willing to pass; but he is willing to pass it this session.

GOA was rather vague on what they considered the “poison pill” but the big difference appears to be that HB1927 offered a lot of legal protections to citizens carrying handguns to prevent them from being harassed by local police and SB 2224 is substantially weaker there.  SB2224 also makes possessing a firearm as a felon a 1st degree felony (vs. 3rd] and 3rd degree (vs. Class A).  SB2224 also makes lying on a form 4473 (or any other federal/state firearms form) a state level crime - meaning Texas can prosecute you for lying on a 4473 even if the feds don’t.

All in all, SB2224 isn’t near as nice as HB1927; but I wouldn’t call it a poison pill.  My guess is the House would vote for it (assuming no procedural/delay/etc. involved, which is a BIG assumption) if it gets a vote there.  And for that matter, I probably would too.  There is nothing in it that's a deal killer on its face and you can always go back and chip away at the BS later - though passing HB1927 is still a much better deal.
View Quote

I sat most of the day yesterday reading SB 2224, it is a very poorly crafted bill. The part of having Texas/DPS prosecute people lying on the 4473, has been soundly defeated in the House. I am pretty unhappy with my Senator for putting his name to this bill as author. Also creating a special committee just to handle HB 1927/SB 2224 is not the correct way to handle these too bills. This does not include the senate suspended their rules to allow SB 2224 to be introduced a month after bills could not be submitted.

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I sat most of the day yesterday reading SB 2224, it is a very poorly crafted bill. The part of having Texas/DPS prosecute people lying on the 4473, has been soundly defeated in the House. I am pretty unhappy with my Senator for putting his name to this bill as author. Also creating a special committee just to handle HB 1927/SB 2224 is not the correct way to handle these too bills. This does not include the senate suspended their rules to allow SB 2224 to be introduced a month after bills could not be submitted.

View Quote

There are so many sneaky ways to kill a bill in the Texas legislature that it is always hard to know exactly what is going on; but SB2224 looks like the kind of backroom deal you’d get if you told the law enforcement groups opposing this “Look, something is going to pass - what are the big deal breakers for you?”

The worst thing about SB2224 is if we get that instead, it will probably take another ten years of chipping away at the nonsense parts in the legislature just to get it where HB1927, which already has widespread, bipartisan, House support, is now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There are so many sneaky ways to kill a bill in the Texas legislature that it is always hard to know exactly what is going on; but SB2224 looks like the kind of backroom deal you’d get if you told the law enforcement groups opposing this “Look, something is going to pass - what are the big deal breakers for you?”

The worst thing about SB2224 is if we get that instead, it will probably take another ten years of chipping away at the nonsense parts in the legislature just to get it where HB1927, which already has widespread, bipartisan, House support, is now.
View Quote

Only law enforcement whining is a group of big city chiefs. Guys like Art ASSavados, who cried about all the police that were going to be shot because of open carry in 2015. These dumb fucks like Patrick need to realize if you are really interested in stopping crime, you get rid of Democrat judges that have a revolving door for career criminals. Same with the DA's that drop charges against career criminals and many illegals. That would make a difference in reducing crime. 20 states now have Constitutional Carry, and another 16 some limited form. 4 of the 5 safest states in the U.S. are full Constitutional Carry states.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Read an interesting piece today that gives US a new rally cry.

Bernie Sanders can CC but Texans can't!!!!!!

Pretty ugly when you think about it. OUR politicians agreeing with a commie and NOT getting hammered for it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Pretty ugly when you think about it. OUR politicians agreeing with a commie and NOT getting hammered for it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Vermont has had in the Constitution right from the start the right to carry guns openly or concealed. Only other state that was close at the time was Arizona that only let you open carry. Long before Texas had concealed carry many of us referred to Constitutional Carry as Vermont Carry. This was less than 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Vermont has had in the Constitution right from the start the right to carry guns openly or concealed. Only other state that was close at the time was Arizona that only let you open carry. Long before Texas had concealed carry many of us referred to Constitutional Carry as Vermont Carry. This was less than 30 years ago.
View Quote

I knew some of the history but to me hanging that info around a Rino's neck is priceless.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Houston Chronicle of course ran a hit piece Political cartoon showing ignorant redneck NRA member saying "Who could be against Constitutional Carry?" with a uniformed police officer next to him going "uhhh!"  Weak attempt to try to show that somehow Law & Order Police Officers on the street reject "Constitutional Carry" (of course Officers on the Street are far from the Costumed Politicians we call "Chiefs of Police" that dance to their Democratic Masters Tune) ...

It shows the Liberals are Pretty Worried about C.C. actually passing, if the Houston Pravda used their Sunday Cartoon to try to Demonize the Good People of Texas who want Constitutional Carry.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Houston Chronicle of course ran a hit piece Political cartoon showing ignorant redneck NRA member saying "Who could be against Constitutional Carry?" with a uniformed police officer next to him going "uhhh!"  Weak attempt to try to show that somehow Law & Order Police Officers on the street reject "Constitutional Carry" (of course Officers on the Street are far from the Costumed Politicians we call "Chiefs of Police" that dance to their Democratic Masters Tune) ...

It shows the Liberals are Pretty Worried about C.C. actually passing, if the Houston Pravda used their Sunday Cartoon to try to Demonize the Good People of Texas who want Constitutional Carry.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Cops don't want it for they same reason they support helmet and seat belt laws.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone know if there is some provision in this bill for addressing concealed carry reciprocity with other states? I'm a longtime Texas resident, but being active duty military, I've lived in three different states since last leaving Texas, and I've carried in twelve other states. I've always appreciated that my LTC allows me to carry in 36 other states (I think that's the latest count) while traveling around the country. My current state, MI, only recognizes resident permits, so I couldn't get a FL permit and use it here as a TX resident, for example. Do other states with CC have an option to apply for some sort of card that can be used when carrying out of state?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if there is some provision in this bill for addressing concealed carry reciprocity with other states? I'm a longtime Texas resident, but being active duty military, I've lived in three different states since last leaving Texas, and I've carried in twelve other states. I've always appreciated that my LTC allows me to carry in 36 other states (I think that's the latest count) while traveling around the country. My current state, MI, only recognizes resident permits, so I couldn't get a FL permit and use it here as a TX resident, for example. Do other states with CC have an option to apply for some sort of card that can be used when carrying out of state?
View Quote

Every state that's gone to permitless carry has retained the option being licensed (except for Vermont, which never had permits).  This is mainly for reciprocity.  The Texas bills are no different.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Every state that's gone to permitless carry has retained the option being licensed (except for Vermont, which never had permits).  This is mainly for reciprocity.  The Texas bills are no different.
View Quote

Excellent, thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

It is the insurance companies that want helmet and seat belt laws. Law enforcement only writes the tickets for the money for city coffers, if the city doesn’t care you get a lot of warnings not tickets.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is already a separate bill that passed the house and has been through the senate committees (may have been voted on the Senate floor at this point) that require Texas still keep the LTC program even if Constitutional Carry is passed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone in senate district 12 please join me in calling senator Nelson every damn day.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is the insurance companies that want helmet and seat belt laws. Law enforcement only writes the tickets for the money for city coffers, if the city doesn’t care you get a lot of warnings not tickets.
View Quote

And they like it as a way to initiate stops and justify random searches.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#23]
To give everyone an update. The new committee Constitutional Issue-Special only has one bill assigned to it, HB 1927. So far no meetings have been scheduled. SB 2224 has not been assigned to any committee.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

A FL permit is recognized in TX (& Vice Versa due to mutual reciprocity).
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#25]
START CALLING DAN PATRICK’S OFFICE, TELL HIM TO PRIORITIZE HB 1927 FOR A HEARING IN THE CONSTITUTIONAL ISSUES COMMITTEE!

PATRICK’S NUMBER 512-463-0001

ALSO CALL SENATOR SCHWERTNER THE CHAIR OF THE CONSTITUTIONAL ISSUES COMMITTEE. 512-463-0105 ASK WHEN THE COMMITTEE WILL BE MEETING!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#26]
"The committee is hoping to meet on it this week" from Schwertner's staff.

keep calling.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"The committee is hoping to meet on it this week" from Schwertner's staff.

keep calling.
View Quote

KEEP CALLING UNTIL YOU GET A DATE!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I fully intend to. senator Nelson's phone just rings and rings all morning. No answer.

I intend to call Schwertner, Nelson, and Patrick's office every day this week.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I fully intend to. senator Nelson's phone just rings and rings all morning. No answer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to the TXGOA website and send an email through the links..

https://texas.gunowners.org

There are links to send messages to Patrick and your senators there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#30]
thanks Don, I've already done that one.  now I'm calling daily.  

Still can't get Senator Nelson or Lt. Gov staff to answer today.  will keep trying.

ETA: what the hell, a few more emails can't hurt.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Go to the TXGOA website and send an email through the links..

https://texas.gunowners.org

There are links to send messages to Patrick and your senators there.
View Quote

Done (again) and will continue to call Patrick's office this week.  Thanks for the action link Don.

And thanks to all her who are keeping the pressure on these guys...

ETA: My Senator Brian Birdwell (R – SD 22) has publicly stated his support and will vote YES for HB1927.  Thank you Senator Birdwell.

The following contains Senator responses to an April 22nd survey of support for HB1927 conducted by The Texan:

Here’s a List of Where Texas State Senators Stand on Constitutional Carry
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Just got off the phone with Sen Nelson's office. The staffer wasn't even aware that it was assigned to the new committee. Also Nelson is waiting to release her position in it until it's heard on the senate floor.

keep calling and tell them to read the damn bill and watch the 7 hours of questions from the house proceedings.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Also Nelson is waiting to release her position in it until it's heard on the senate floor.
View Quote

Isn't that impossible since it's been referred to her committee?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#34]
From what I gathered from Schwertner's staff, Nelson isn't on that committee
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Also Nelson is waiting to release her position in it until it's heard on the senate floor.
View Quote

Yeah, same here. No answer at her office. I did send yet another email.

Also - the bit above about waiting to release her position is utter horseshit  typical political pandering. You either support it or you don't.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Has anyone got a response from Kel Selliger yet?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Called LT G Patty, got the nice old Lady who's probably way way tired of hearing from us.

As for Kel, he's one of the 3 that voted against emergency CC last session.  That said, his vote didn't matter then as there were 19 R's, instead of 18 as of now (need 16 to pass).

How can you be from Amarillo and not be a full gun supporter?  It would like someone from Houston being pro-gun.  Why's it always us with turncoats, never the Democrats?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah, same here. No answer at her office. I did send yet another email.

Also - the bit above about waiting to release her position is utter horseshit  typical political pandering. You either support it or you don't.
View Quote

Indeed.  I can understand this position at the start of the session, on various random bills that few have read.

But HB1927 had 7 hours of testimony for it and other CC bills, and then another 7 hours of floor debate.  Not much else to say about it at this point - either you support it or you don't, not trying to avoid a call on it so as to weasel your way out of it without making anyone too upset.

Keep hollering at your reps - post here with any questions about who to contact or any information requests.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Called LT G Patty, got the nice old Lady who's probably way way tired of hearing from us.

View Quote
her name is Helen.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#40]
She sounds like the type of person who's had that job since about 1952, and could tell you great stories about every Texas politician since then.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, Nelson is not on the Constitutional Issues Committee, Schwertner is the chair. 4 people on the committee of 7 are very strong supporters, plus where Schwertner stands.

The committee consists of
Schwertner (Chair)
Birdwell   (Vice Chair)
Buckingham
Creighton
Hall
Hinojosa
Lucio

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#42]
It's a strange name for this Committee - Constitutional Carry has to do with the rights protected by the 2nd Amendment, not something related to the Texas Constitution.

My guess is the backup plan is to move HB1927 to the ballot and let the voters deal with it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's a strange name for this Committee - Constitutional Carry has to do with the rights protected by the 2nd Amendment, not something related to the Texas Constitution.

My guess is the backup plan is to move HB1927 to the ballot and let the voters deal with it.

View Quote

That is a complete total train wreck. Last thing we want is the dumb on guns public voting on something they know nothing about. I would not be surprised if BloomTURD and other anti-gun assholes dumping $30-40 MILLION in to Texas to stop it.

ETA: Don’t get all wrapped around the axle about the possibility of a vote by the public, keep up your calling, e mailing, etc. May have more information tonight.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Called and emailed Patrick's office today, also did the same to that RINO senator Joan Huffman who's district I am in. She needs to be primaried and voted out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#45]
My Senator is Angela Paxton, she's a solid YES.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#46]
DFW CBS evening local news just had a segment on it.  Patrick says we don't have the votes and is working with police chiefs and proponents to come to an agreement.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#47]
He's such a sack of shit.

Look I'm fine with running it onto the Senate floor, and let the 3 anti-CC step up and vote no - can't imagine that will go well for the two dudes from blood red districts, but that's for them to figure out next election.

What I'm not OK with is Patty pretending like he's trying to pass CC, but really 1. Delaying 2. Steering HB 1927 to a dead end committee 3. Coming up, against Senate rules, with a watered down CC bill and then trying to move that along just enough so it won't pass either, but they can say they tried.  And also "look how bad the Democrats are in 22 - and they're not like us, they'll get things passed, and you won't like that!"

Look most bill don't get passed.  Not having CC pass isn't a deal breaker for me - it's stabbing it in the back while trying to pretend they want it. that is.  May have to send my decision as to how to fill out the LT Gov section next year to a sub-committee myself, with a due date back of Dec 2022.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#48]
This Thursday the Constitutional Issues committee will hear HB 1927!!!

If you can be there, be there!
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#49]
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/schedules/html/C5242021042909001.HTM

Excellent. Must have just published this on the Senate's page.

Yep, as Arnie said in Total Recall: "Get your ass to Mars!".

Thursday, 9 am, Room E1.106, at the Capitol.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This Thursday the Constitutional Issues committee will hear HB 1927!!!

If you can be there, be there!
View Quote
Fucking A.  Calling all of the cmt members tomorrow.
Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top