Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 29
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Between it costing 8 bucks a year plus the 100 dollar LTC course, carry in 35+ other states, no NICS wait when you buy a gun plus cheaper dealer transfers as a result, and carry on colleges and universities, there will be advantages to getting a LTC, as well as keeping it.

Just tell him not to take a training class from one of the LTC traitors who were against CC.  Pretty easy to hunt for the list of them and avoid anything to do with them.

If you called or emailed your Senators about CC, thank you.  It made all the difference to have that level of involvement.  Now please write and call them to tell them thanks.  It's like writing a thank you note for a birthday gift.  Proper thing to do, as well as helpful in the future.

There were several Senators who took a pollical risk with their yes vote on CC, such as Senator Huffman, who's vote was not needed (16 to pass, 18 R Senators), but she voted for it anyway.  If you're in her district, be sure to call / email and say thanks, and support her next election.  Her district includes River Oaks / Memorial parts of Houston, so lots of high dollar leftist lawyers and such who may be gunning for her now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My son just moved down here, since he is permanent in Texas now, his Michigan CPL won't be valid.
View Quote

Why?  I thought many Texans had permits from other states.  Does Michigan allow them only for Michigan residents?

Regardless, I'd get a Texas LTC for the other benefits.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Between it costing 8 bucks a year plus the 100 dollar LTC course, carry in 35+ other states, no NICS wait when you buy a gun plus cheaper dealer transfers as a result, and carry on colleges and universities, there will be advantages to getting a LTC, as well as keeping it.
View Quote

To be fair, 17 of those states already have unlicensed carry and so a Texan doesn't need a Texas LTC to carry there, though those states do recognize them.  And VT, NH and ME have unlicensed carry, even though they don't recognize Texas LTCs.  Assuming I counted right, it's really only 16 states which recognize a Texas LTC but don't have unlicensed carry, and therefore having an LTC matters.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:  Why?  I thought many Texans had permits from other states.  Does Michigan allow them only for Michigan residents?

View Quote

The boy has a Michigan address on his Michigan carry license, but he now lives in Texas, so the license is invalid b/c the information on the face of the license is no longer correct.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The boy has a Michigan address on his Michigan carry license, but he now lives in Texas, so the license is invalid b/c the information on the face of the license is no longer correct.
View Quote

He could do an online class then set up an instructor to do the shooting portion. Longest time is the DPS back ground check, but is worth it in the end.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]
If allowed, update the MI carry permit with new TX address.  TX DL and LTC is supposed to be updated within either 30 or 60 days of change of address.  I'm sure MI has a similar policy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If allowed, update the MI carry permit with new TX address.  TX DL and LTC is supposed to be updated within either 30 or 60 days of change of address.  I'm sure MI has a similar policy.
View Quote

A quick search shows that Michigan only allows non-resident permits for active-duty military.  Everyone else is SOL.

https://www.concealedcarryonline.com/michigan/michigan-permit/

The guy could always try getting a Florida non-resident permit or something.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#8]
A quick search shows that Michigan only allows non-resident permits for active-duty military.  Everyone else is SOL.

Maybe I am missing something.

https://www.concealedcarryonline.com/michigan/state-reciprocity-michigan/
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why?  I thought many Texans had permits from other states.  Does Michigan allow them only for Michigan residents?

View Quote

I am a fed, so I got creds (no secret).

It is our understanding that Texas will only honor out of state CPLs/ CCW's for non residents of Texas. Now that he is here full time, he needs a Texas license.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, you are.  The boy's Michigan LTC is no longer valid:

Quoted: The boy has a Michigan address on his Michigan carry license, but he now lives in Texas, so the license is invalid b/c the information on the face of the license is no longer correct.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  I am a fed, so I got creds (no secret).

It is our understanding that Texas will only honor out of state CPLs/ CCW's for non residents of Texas. Now that he is here full time, he needs a Texas license.
View Quote

We got pissy w/ Utah a few years back b/c their license was cheaper, but I don't think the law changed.  Plenty of folks living here carrying on a Florida or Utah license.  That was one of the stinks in testimony, the TSRA gal was carrying on a out-of-state license.  Maybe something DPS made noise about, but not law.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have never heard of that being the case,at all.
A legal CHL is a legal CHL.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Constitutional Carry has nothing to do with carrying in a vehicle since you carry in your vehicle without a permit.
View Quote

But it has to be concealed under MPA. Under Constitutional Carry, that restriction should go away.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is no such requirement.  If a Texas resident has a non-resident permit from another state, then it's perfectly legal for them to carry with that license.  They just won't be able to use it as a NICS exemption, carry in school zones, etc.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there an easy to read version of the law with what it allows and does not allow? Trying to read the bill with "strike this" "add this", etc. is a nightmare.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is no such requirement.  If a Texas resident has a non-resident permit from another state, then it's perfectly legal for them to carry with that license.  They just won't be able to use it as a NICS exemption, carry in school zones, etc.
View Quote

Interesting that you bring up the carry in school zones thing.

@Chris_C  Did you know that off duty feds are in violation of the law if they carry a gun near a school?  There is no exemption in the Gun Free School Zone Act for an off duty federal officer.  This by itself is a great reason for every fed to have an LTC.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@Chris_C  Did you know that off duty feds are in violation of the law if they carry a gun near a school?  There is no exemption in the Gun Free School Zone Act for an off duty federal officer.  This by itself is a great reason for every fed to have an LTC.
View Quote

The law exempts:

(vi)by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity;

Almost all LE Agency's allow off-duty carry, so they are acting within their official capacity. The ones who have the problem are out-of-state LEOs carrying on LEOSA.

The best reason for any LEO to have LTC is no LEO ever expects to get suspended, but it does happen, and then of course in states like Texas, there is NICS bypass.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#18]
This is great and long over due.  I will keep my ltc current
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The law exempts:

(vi)by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity;

Almost all LE Agency's allow off-duty carry, so they are acting within their official capacity. The ones who have the problem are out-of-state LEOs carrying on LEOSA.

The best reason for any LEO to have LTC is no LEO ever expects to get suspended, but it does happen, and then of course in states like Texas, there is NICS bypass.
View Quote

Unfortunately, you're a bit off on this.  "Acting in official capacity" means something and it definitively does NOT include off-duty actions (although you can start acting in an official capacity in an instant, like responding to an active shooter or something).  This is clear and it's taught at FLETC, but lots of feds tend to forget because, well, federal badge/creds seem to work everywhere.  Texas LEOs are all licensed by the state, so, they're exempt just like LTC holders, even when off duty.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Not a done deal yet - CC still needs the Senate and House bills to be reconciled, and a final bill passed out of both chambers.

Would have been easier if the Senate had just passed the House bill as is - but that's not how things work.  One chamber will always change things a bit.

In a holding pattern until the House and Senate legislators figure out what should happen next.  

That said, it's not likely that, having taken the heat from the media and the leftists to vote for CC, that it doesn't end up passing out of the Legislature.  Wouldn't make a lot of sense to get both the blame for it not passing, but the media hate for voting for it to begin with.

Still a decent amount of time left in the Session at 3 + weeks, to hash things out and move it to the Governor for signature.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is for ltc.

Under Texas law, it is illegal to carry a firearm onto school premises or on the grounds where a school-sponsored activity is being conducted. The law defines the words “school premises” to only include a building or portion of a building. This does not include the sidewalks, fields, and parking lots around the school. This means that an LTC holder can carry around the school, just not into the school building itself. However, if the high school dance team is practicing in the school parking lot, it is now prohibited, since a school-sponsored activity is taking place in the parking lot.

How does a Texas gun-free school zone sign impact this law?

The gun-free school zone sign in Texas does not create any new prohibitions. It simply enhances the punishment range of a weapons crime that may occur near a school. If it is found at trial that a gun-related crime occurred within 300 feet of a school or school-sponsored activity, then the punishment jumps up to the next higher level, for example, from a class B misdemeanor to a class A misdemeanor.

Is the federal gun-free school zone law the same?

No. The federal law does create an entirely new offense. Under federal law, there’s a blanket prohibition that makes it illegal to possess a gun within 1,000 feet of a public, parochial, or private school. There are some exceptions, which make that prohibition a little easier to stomach. Here are the three most common:

The first is for a person with a license to carry a handgun issued by the state where the school zone is located. This means that a Texas resident, who holds a Texas LTC, can carry in a school zone in Texas, as long as they follow all other Texas laws. However, that same Texas LTC holder would run afoul of the federal gun-free school zone law if he or she were in another state besides Texas. The converse holds true as well.

Second, a person who lives within 1,000 feet of a school is also allowed to keep a firearm on their privately owned property, as long as it is not part of the school grounds.

The third most common exception is that you’re permitted to carry an unloaded gun in a locked case or in a locked gun rack. Although it is currently illegal for a teacher to carry a gun in a school building without a written regulation in place or written authorization from the institution, this is a fast-changing area of the law across the country that may very well impact Texas. In fact, in the last legislative session, Texas made it illegal for a teacher or school employee with an LTC to be fired by a school or disciplined because they had a handgun in their automobile on a school parking lot.

Are new laws headed to Texas?

Many jurisdictions have proposed laws that would allow or regulate the carrying of firearms by teachers or other school employees. As always, we will keep you informed of any changes or proposed changes to our laws here in Texas.

If you have any further questions about gun laws related to school zones, call Texas LawShield and ask to speak to an Independent Program Attorney today.

https://www.uslawshield.com/guns-and-school-zones-what-is-the-law/
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But it has to be concealed under MPA. Under Constitutional Carry, that restriction should go away.
View Quote

Not under Constitutional Carry, but both the house and senate had bills to loosen restrictions on carrying in your vehicle and both had bills eliminating the belt/shoulder holster requirement. I testified on all the bills to pass them. Both houses also had ‘hotel bills’ restricting hotels/motels from not allowing you from bringing your carry gun/guns into your room.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not under Constitutional Carry, but both the house and senate had bills to loosen restrictions on carrying in your vehicle and both had bills eliminating the belt/shoulder holster requirement. I testified on all the bills to pass them. Both houses also had ‘hotel bills’ restricting hotels/motels from not allowing you from bringing your carry gun/guns into your room.
View Quote

I guess "we will have to pass it to see what is in it."

The good news is, "if you like your LTC, you can keep your LTC."

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bills in the House may only be about one thing, you can’t dump a bunch of other things into the bill. This is the problem with the senate amendment increasing time for convicted felons for firearm possession from 2 years to 5 years. That would have had to have been heard in Criminal Justice committee, not Homeland Security committee.

In fact to stop DPS from dropping LTC if Constitutional Carry passes, both houses passed bills that stated DPS may not drop the LTC program.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm hopeful but there are so many paths to obscurity with this that I have reservations about it making the grade. I've made many calls/emails and am continuing to do so.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm hopeful but there are so many paths to obscurity with this that I have reservations about it making the grade. I've made many calls/emails and am continuing to do so.
View Quote
I have the same reservations. Now isn't the time to let up and celebrate. Keep calling.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:43:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not so.  out of state CPL / CHL / CCW do not Waive the NICS check in Texas.   But they ARE valid if the license is valid AND Texas has reciprocity with that state.

One of the Texas Gun Hating Democrats a few sessions back made noise about removing the acceptance of "Outside of Texas" CHL as being valid in Texas for Texas Residents, but it never went anywhere in Austin.

I have a FL CHL and have had zero issues with it - even carried at the Texas Senate Hearing - TX DPS screeners at the desk had to contact FL to validate the license which took a few minutes, and then I was on my happy way inside the Capital.

Obviously the TX DPS had zero point zero issues with my TX Drivers License & FL CHL license.

I'll switch to a TX CHL soon before my FL license runs out in a few years, but for the here & now it is paid for and valid.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Was playing around with my TLO account, last listed on HB 1927 is voted out of the Senate. May hear something later today or Monday if going back to the house to vote on senate amendments or going to a conference committee.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#29]
WE NEED TO START MAKING PHONE CALLS NOW!!! CALL CHAIR BURROWS IN THE HOUSE TO SET UP A FLOOR VOTE ON HB 1927 NOW!!!!

CHAIR BURROWS NUMBER 512-463-0542

BURN THE PHONES DOWN!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Dan Patrick will torpedo this somehow.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
WE NEED TO START MAKING PHONE CALLS NOW!!! CALL CHAIR BURROWS IN THE HOUSE TO SET UP A FLOOR VOTE ON HB 1927 NOW!!!!

View Quote

Just called went straight to voicemail, left a nice message saying we’re Burning daylight on this bill.

If there’s anyone else I can contact to help get this across the finish line please give me the name and numbers, thank you!
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just called went straight to voicemail, left a nice message saying we’re Burning daylight on this bill.

If there’s anyone else I can contact to help get this across the finish line please give me the name and numbers, thank you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JUST KEEP CALLING, BURROWS WILL GET THE MESSAGE, BE POLITE BUT FIRM! MAY TRY CALLING THE SPEAKER.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please go somewhere else with your negative B. S. We don't need it here!
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

he's doing the same bullshit in the GD thread
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he can move to California or New York since Dan Patrick is sooo bad. I'm sure most of us would move him out of the shed behind his mom's house.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any behind the scenes data to back that up, or is it just your opinion?

Patrick is shifty and needs to be watched far more that a Republican LTG in Texas should be, but so far he's:

Set up a special committee just to hear CC.

Stacked it not just 5 R 2 D, but with 5 solid pro-gun Republicans.

Moved it for a vote in the full Senate 6 days after a committee hearing.

Got all 18 Republicans to vote for it, when just 2 years ago, 3 of them didn't even vote for Emergency Carry after a disaster, a much narrower bill than CC.

Held the vote for the 3rd reading right away, when he could have waited several days to use up more time.

That's a good of a set of actions by him as you could have ever wished for.

Gun rights are not a big issue for Patrick - he's had to be dragged to attending to it.  But there's no evidence that he's sabotaged bills that were on the move, much less this one.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Time to get off your ass and work at this if we want it to pass. I’m emailing every single one and their 2A staffer. Next I’m going to call every one of them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Time to get off your ass and work at this if we want it to pass. I’m emailing every single one and their 2A staffer. Next I’m going to call every one of them.
View Quote

Concentrate on Burrows and the Speaker, then let every House member you expect them to pass HB 1927 AGAIN!! But we need to get it on the floor for a vote.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Patrick is shifty and needs to be watched far more that a Republican LTG in Texas should be, but so far he's:

Got all 18 Republicans to vote for it, when just 2 years ago, 3 of them didn't even vote for Emergency Carry after a disaster, a much narrower bill than CC.

Held the vote for the 3rd reading right away, when he could have waited several days to use up more time.

Gun rights are not a big issue for Patrick - he's had to be dragged to attending to it.  But there's no evidence that he's sabotaged bills that were on the move, much less this one.  
View Quote

You are Correct that Dan Patrick sure hasn't seemed to be a "Gun Rights" Republican in years & sessions passed.

However, with a "D" Administration Nationally, and what is looking like a Solid 'Win' for the "R" team of Texas gun enthusiasts (SOLID "R" Voters who actually VOTE in every election!) I'm sure he did the calculus and figured that it was the smart thing to get on the train and ride it to the victory celebration instead of derailing it.

I was completely expecting him to sabotage Constitutional Carry (another "Death from within" with some silly poison pill), but I'm VERY pleasantly surprised to see his assistance (the special committee was a HUGE boost!) and I'm sure his wrangling of any reluctant Republicans to get the bill passed in the Senate!   I really had doubts about him, but I'm much more a fan with his assistance to this as a WIN for lawful Texas gun owners.

Dan Patrick, I'd buy you a beer & BBQ!    

... After Governor Abbott signs it into law !

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You are Correct that Dan Patrick sure hasn't seemed to be a "Gun Rights" Republican in years & sessions passed.

However, with a "D" Administration Nationally, and what is looking like a Solid 'Win' for the "R" team of Texas gun enthusiasts (SOLID "R" Voters who actually VOTE in every election!) I'm sure he did the calculus and figured that it was the smart thing to get on the train and ride it to the victory celebration instead of derailing it.

I was completely expecting him to sabotage Constitutional Carry (another "Death from within" with some silly poison pill), but I'm VERY pleasantly surprised to see his assistance (the special committee was a HUGE boost!) and I'm sure his wrangling of any reluctant Republicans to get the bill passed in the Senate!   I really had doubts about him, but I'm much more a fan with his assistance to this as a WIN for lawful Texas gun owners.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

If there was a ‘poison pill’ IMO it was not intentional. More likely it was a not complete understanding of House rules on a bill, so an amendment that does not pass House rules got added to the bill.

This can be worked out if we can get a House vote ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, I don't think there are any amendments added in deliberately to sabotage the bill.   And it's not the first time the Senate has sent a bill to the House.

It may need to go to a conference committee, but that's probably the case with most bills.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good man, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Call the Speaker, they are answering the phones. Politely ask the Speaker to do everything he can to get HB 1927 on the floor for a vote

Speakers number 512-463-1000
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Just called the speakers phone number (in between remodeling the new house, got to dedicate yourself to get bills past!!!) you can tell by the way the staffers are answering the call that they been getting hit a lot. Keep blowing on the FIRE!!! We can at lest get this great bill passed as long as we keep the phones ringing off the hooks!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Email address for the Chair of the Calendars Committee:

[email protected]

Ask for a floor vote on HB 2967 (clarifies who is prohibited from carrying in a car, and gets rid of secret lists of "known gang dudes", which anyone can be added to without due process).

And HB 1927 of course.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:  Email address for the Chair of the Calendars Committee:

[email protected]

Ask for a floor vote on HB 2967 (clarifies who is prohibited from carrying in a car, and gets rid of secret lists of "known gang dudes", which anyone can be added to without due process).

And HB 1927 of course.
View Quote

Can you clarify those?  Texas relieved 1st ID in Basra in 2010.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Concentrate on Burrows and the Speaker, then let every House member you expect them to pass HB 1927 AGAIN!! But we need to get it on the floor for a vote.
View Quote

Already done. Moving one to contacting all of them. I’m about 2/3 of the way down the list.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Can you clarify those?  Texas relieved 1st ID in Basra in 2010.
View Quote

HB 1927 is the Constitutional Carry bill.

HB2967 gets rid of a secret police list of "known gang dudes", to which you can be added to without a conviction, due process, or even knowing about it.

https://texas.gunowners.org/hb-2967-firearm-carry-clarification/
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Will be calling as soon as I'm done with this meeting. Thanks for the info everyone.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Chairman Burrows at 512-463-0542

Speaker Phelan at (512) 463-1000

Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top