Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pair0dimes:
La Grange is growing like crazy. Looked at property there last year which eventually sold to a developer for subdivision. Half of it was flood plain too. Proximity to South and East Austin makes it popular for commuters who work in those areas.
View Quote

La Grange has a lot of flood plains, they have a nice gun range that is pretty much a flood plain. It is quite a bit of swampy areas around it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Pair0dimes:
La Grange is growing like crazy. Looked at property there last year which eventually sold to a developer for subdivision. Half of it was flood plain too. Proximity to South and East Austin makes it popular for commuters who work in those areas.
View Quote

I can't imagine commuting all the way from La Grange to Austin, it's around an hour from there to Austin Bergstrom depending on traffic, and 71 can be pretty congested.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:

It looks like it.  I only know one person who lives there, but he seems to like it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By denverdan:

Decent place to live?

It looks like it.  I only know one person who lives there, but he seems to like it.

Interesting thanks for the info. I’m really getting sick of Colorado and I like Texas.

I  had to pass on a job offer in the Keys because my wife chickened out at the last minute. Still a tad annoyed about that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:37:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jbntex] [#4]

Interesting thanks for the info. I’m really getting sick of Colorado and I like Texas.

I  had to pass on a job offer in the Keys because my wife chickened out at the last minute. Still a tad annoyed about that.
View Quote
Like most places, a lot of it depends upon your budget $$$ and needs/wants.   How much sf/ft and/or lot size do you need, urban vs rural and how far can you or the wife be from urban civilization (nice restaurants, shops, golf courses, medical care, concerts/movies, etc), reasonable access to an Intl. airport, kids/school district/private, where is your job/industry, tolerance time for a commute, etc.

With enough money you can live on a semi-rural multi-acre acre lot in a 5000sq/ft home with a pool and helicopter pad, near some of the best schools, within 20 minutes from the center of town.  That said its probably not financially practical for most of us but if you give us some ideas on budget and needs we can better help you chose an area should you want to move to centex.

I have spent a lot time in Colorado as my family has had a couple of different homes in the Vail valley since the 1970s and my inlaws lived part time in Salida for many years.   We go out a couple of time a year to ski/camp/hike and will be back out there in a couple week. One of my favorite shooting ranges anywhere is just outside Minturn CO.

Its really sad what has happened to Colorado over the past 10ish years with all the influx of drugs and Californians along with all the undesirable outcome those two things cause.  The wife and I actually considered potentially moving  to Colorado part time once we retire but the past couple of years has given us significant pause on those plans.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Decent place to live?
View All Quotes

Oh yeah I understand Austin is a liberal shithole but at least the state as whole isn’t.

La Grange is an option for me as well. Wherever that is haha.

A haw haw haw...

La Grange is about an hour east of the Austin Bergstrom Airport on 71...  depending on how fast you drive of course.

Home of really good Kolaches and Kablaneks.  Sadly the Chicken Ranch is long gone and not a trace of where it was is even there anymore.  Damned Marvin Zindler.

Decent place to live?

I've only driven through or stopped there. It's not a bad town it seems. But don't know a lot about it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jbntex:

Like most places, a lot of it depends upon your budget $$$ and needs/wants.   How much sf/ft and/or lot size do you need, urban vs rural and how far can you or the wife be from urban civilization (nice restaurants, shops, golf courses, medical care, concerts/movies, etc), reasonable access to an Intl. airport, kids/school district/private, where is your job/industry, tolerance time for a commute, etc.

With enough money you can live on a semi-rural multi-acre acre lot in a 5000sq/ft home with a pool and helicopter pad, near some of the best schools, within 20 minutes from the center of town.  That said its probably not financially practical for most of us but if you give us some ideas on budget and needs we can better help you chose an area should you want to move to centex.

I have spent a lot time in Colorado as my family has had a couple of different homes in the Vail valley since the 1970s and my inlaws lived part time in Salida for many years.   We go out a couple of time a year to ski/camp/hike and will be back out there in a couple week. One of my favorite shooting ranges anywhere is just outside Minturn CO.

Its really sad what has happened to Colorado over the past 10ish years with all the influx of drugs and Californians along with all the undesirable outcome those two things cause.  The wife and I actually considered potentially moving  to Colorado part time once we retire but the past couple of years has given us significant pause on those plans.
View Quote

Housing budget would be about $450-500k.  We both would like space and room to roam. So to speak
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:16:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clint50] [#7]
I have lived and worked in Wichita Falls, for over 40yrs. Wife and I are both retired. After 7yrs, the home we have been leasing will be sold, after the lease expires the end of May. If we're unable to find a suitable place to live here, the other option is to move closer to our kids & grandkids in Liberty Hill. I've been looking at new or almost new homes in Liberty Hill or the Georgetown area, to lease. Our budget is in the $1500-$2000/month range. If we make the move south, it would be cool to meet some of you.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:59:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cspackler33] [#8]
There's a 3k ft² house across the street from me about to go on the market.  Probably $600k, 1 acre, nice SW area where houses get bid wars on day 1.
New 45 toll road gets you downtown without a light in 20 minutes.  Bike trails along it since it seems to be a law to build nature trails along any new roads.
@denverdan
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Housing budget would be about $450-500k.  We both would like space and room to roam. So to speak
View Quote

That would put you out east or south east....or very far north. West is gonna get pricey for space, and every other direction is either expensive or congested.

Bastrop, Lockhart, Elgin, Manor, all in that area you can find some spreads in the $450k range. It's not the swankiest part of ATX, but it's decent living and growing all the time, you won't lose money on any of it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Decent place to live?
View Quote

I’ve heard they got a lot of nice girls
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

@denverdan looks like a few CO guys are bailing. If you get to the Dallas area I will take you and the wife out for some BBQ and beer.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mah827:

@denverdan looks like a few CO guys are bailing. If you get to the Dallas area I will take you and the wife out for some BBQ and beer.
View All Quotes

BBQ with a Texan? Oh hell yeah sign me up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Well I moved here from Denver in 2013. So I’m texanish.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Oh yeah I just recognized your username haha.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#15]
North Austin/Cedar Park.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Looking more and more like the wife and I will be moving to the Liberty Hill/Georgetown/Leander area, in late April or May. Starting to think about buying a home, instead of leasing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Wimberley
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Clint50:
Looking more and more like the wife and I will be moving to the Liberty Hill/Georgetown/Leander area, in late April or May. Starting to think about buying a home, instead of leasing.
View Quote

The sooner you buy probably the better.  Prices look like they will continue to skyrocket, so lock it in when you can, because rents will keep increasing and there is nothing you can do about that.

Plus renting is basically like flushing your money down the toilet.  You're building equity for the landlord instead of yourself and you're paying for property taxes and upkeep at a marked up rate.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#19]
My Body may be Trapped in the Hell Hole of Houston...

but my Heart & Spirit remain Central Texas!!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
My Body may be Trapped in the Hell Hole of Houston...

but my Heart & Spirit remain Central Texas!!  
View Quote

100%, wife cleared her transfer back over there mid year, and I need to go in and talk with my boss now.

Probably back West of 35 in between New Braunfels / Wimberly / Driftwood / Kyle by end of July.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By NwG:
Wimberley
View Quote

So you're saying you own a ladies boutique and sell healing crystals, then?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By swingset:

View Quote

It’s all just a front to sell weed to all the Woodstock hippies that live here. If you look close, nothing ever leaves the shelves.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm located in the Westlake area.  Not sure if that'd be considered "south" or "central" Austin for the purposes of your list.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:12:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Southie here.  Deep South.  I'm in for any meetups or range trips.  I'm also a homebrewer if that matters. I will not blade at 45 if I meet any of you.   I also have a bunch of free gun shit I'm trying to get rid of if anyone wants it and will pay it forward.  Handguards, grips, Mosin accessories, etc.  IM me and you can have it but you have to take it all.  I hope this post is ok.  If not, please let me know.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Dripping Springs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#26]

It’s all just a front to sell weed to all the Woodstock hippies that live here. If you look close, nothing ever leaves the shelves.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By swingset:

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#27]

It's all just a front to sell weed to all the Woodstock hippies that live here. If you look close, nothing ever leaves the shelves.
View Quote

You mean I bought that aromatherapy dreamcatcher for $49.95 and coulda got some ganja instead?

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Boognish:
Southie here.  Deep South.  I'm in for any meetups or range trips.  I'm also a homebrewer if that matters. I will not blade at 45 if I meet any of you.   I also have a bunch of free gun shit I'm trying to get rid of if anyone wants it and will pay it forward.  Handguards, grips, Mosin accessories, etc.  IM me and you can have it but you have to take it all.  I hope this post is ok.  If not, please let me know.
View Quote

I live about a mile from austin homebrew supply, and have recently begun to experiment.  holy crap this is fun!

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sirensong:

I live about a mile from austin homebrew supply, and have recently begun to experiment.  holy crap this is fun!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boognish:

i made some catfish cooley closet wine for covid! i r homebrew!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TLF:

Howdy neighbor!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Deadtired:
Bastrop

Howdy neighbor!

+1
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Copperas Cove, it’ll be north Austin before too long.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#32]
@Zhukov you gonna update the list?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I'm about 3 or 4 miles from there on the other side of IH35 off Wells Branch Pkwy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#35]
List is incorrectly labeled.

The wannabes should be called “thank god I dont live in Wannabe Portland”.

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#37]

The sooner you buy probably the better.  Prices look like they will continue to skyrocket, so lock it in when you can, because rents will keep increasing and there is nothing you can do about that.

Plus renting is basically like flushing your money down the toilet.  You're building equity for the landlord instead of yourself and you're paying for property taxes and upkeep at a marked up rate.
View All Quotes

Yeah, we have decided to buy a house. Got our loan pre-approval yesterday so the search starts, next week. Looking forward to living in the Hill Country and meeting some of you guys.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:26:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Wife and I made a bid on a home north of Georgetown, Thursday, and it was accepted, today.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Wife and I made a bid on a home north of Georgetown, Thursday, and it was accepted, today.
View Quote

Congrats. That’s a nice area.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Congrats and howdy from slightly north of north of Georgetown.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Dang. Then were not far apart. We're off 21 as well.

@HankZudd
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HankZudd:
Originally Posted By Deadtired:
Bastrop

Howdy neighbor!

i'm just outside Bastrop, 21 by Southshore; no FBI here, but got a retired ATF guy in my hood,,,,,

Dang. Then were not far apart. We're off 21 as well.

@HankZudd

We might be some what neighbors too, I'm off 812 in Cedar Creek.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:10:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clint50] [#42]
Thanks, guys. Wife and I are excited about the move and will only be about 15min away, from our kids.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 1:49:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Any more thoughts about starting up some area dinner get-togethers? I live in Sun City but I'm game for just about anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Any more thoughts about starting up some area dinner get-togethers? I live in Sun City but I'm game for just about anywhere.
View Quote
29/Ronald Reagan here....not far
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 8:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clint50] [#45]
Originally Posted By Fourman:
View Quote

Howdy, neighbor! Our street here is the first street off of RR.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

I’m down for something on the northside.  Probably cant be bothered to drive downtown or to south austin.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Great idea! Let me know when and where it will be great to meet some fellow members.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fourman:

Rancho Sienna here
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Are people free during the week? My weekends are pretty busy right now, but I can get together pretty much anytime during the week. How does Chuy's @ 10520 N Lamar Blvd sound? It's between Rundberg and Braker and usually not very crowded.
View Quote

We're retired so just about any time will work.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top